HiRez Poll Orbison, Roy - BLACK & WHITE NIGHT [SACD/DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A/BDA of Roy Orbison - BLACK AND WHITE NIGHT

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

Attachments

• roy 1.jpg
    roy 1.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 673
  • roy2.jpg
    roy2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 521
I sure would like to hear more comments on this one. I am thinking of making the purchase, but want to avoid any ambiant-crowd-only surround mixes.

Anybody else have this ?

randy

randy h said:
I sure would like to hear more comments on this one. I am thinking of making the purchase, but want to avoid any ambiant-crowd-only surround mixes.

Anybody else have this ?

randy
Sorry, I wasn't more helpful in my previous post. You will not be disappointed; this is an example of outstanding multi-channel. Quoting the cover, "remixed by Eliot Scheiner (Eagles-Hotel California) from the original analog master tapes." the recording itself has been around before; the previous release in DVD-video featured DTS. I got this from overstock.com for $18.55.

Thanks, tominsky.

That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I like the way Scheiner mixed Hotel California, so that is great news. What did you find lacking in the DVD-Audio mix? I respect both formats, but usually go DVD-A if I have the option.

randy

randy h said:
Thanks, tominsky.

That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I like the way Scheiner mixed Hotel California, so that is great news. What did you find lacking in the DVD-Audio mix? I respect both formats, but usually go DVD-A if I have the option.

randy
I don't have the DVD-A but I expect the mix is the same. By the way, you also get the DVD-Video that I mentioned earlier in this package making this a great value. I gave this a 10 and I will admit that I am biased because I like Roy Orbison's music. However, if I was neutral on the music itself it would still rate between 8 and 9. I predict when we get enough voters this will end up at least 8.5.

I originally had a strong bias for DVD-A; my first player was a Toshiba SD-4900 which didn't support SACD. Now I have the Toshiba SD-4960 universal player which so far is working well. I am leaning towards hybrid SACD's because, in my opinion, the CD layer in a hybrid disc outweighs the extra features of the DVD-A.

Thought I'd bump this one up, since I'd never really given it much play in the past. Yes, very well done overall, doesn't have the antiseptic sound you sometimes get from live mixes. A '9'....

ED :)

I gave this one a 10. Roy was in great voice (as if he was never in great voice? :) ) and the mix really puts you in the room!

I gave this one a 10. Roy was in great voice (as if he was never in great voice? :) ) and the mix really puts you in the room!

I remember seeing the original broadcast of this show on Cinemax years ago - I always admired Roy Orbison's voice but was struck by the admiration of the "pick-up band" he assembled for the night - Elvis Costello, Bruce Springsteen, Bonnie Raitt, Tom Waits, Jackson Browne, KD Lang, etc. With all of the star power on stage it could have been a complete mess but instead they all stayed with in their roles and delivered many goosebump moments - great B & W video treatment and of course a superlative Scheiner 5.1 mix - a big fat 10(y)

Thanks for the correction - that changes everything - forget what I said - it sucked:D

Right, we don't want anybody traveling back in time to 1987 and trying to watch this on Cinemax. There would be no internet then to help them find out that was bogus information.

Chris

The internet is an excellent place for research and I have to admit that my recollections are increasingly subject to the "senior moment." Your point is well taken - check out the official Roy Orbison web-site http://royorbison.musiccitynetworks.com/index.htm, Wikepedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Orbison, or the Songwriters Hall of Fame http://www.songwritershalloffame.org/exhibit_bio.asp?exhibitId=173 in regards to the original broadcast.

Besides the fact that they all confirm my original comment re: Cinemax they also provide tons of extra info on the special night so well documented on this DVD V/SACD/DVD-A.

Ha, thanks for the correction of my suggested correction. I just searched and came up with sources stating PBS, Showtime, HBO and Cinemax for the original broadcast. Wikipedia indicates:

Roy Orbison and Friends, A Black and White Night is an acclaimed 1988 Cinemax television special originally broadcast on HBO

Not so sure where to look for it if I find a time machine.

Chris

Actually the SACD version is also available at Overstock.Com. Check http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?page=proframe&prod_id=1086276

The SACD/DVD-V edition of Black & White Nights is also available at several other outlets including Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc, Amazon.Com, Amazon.CA, Amazon.JP, 3Deers.Com and Music Direct.

THanks for the link Brian. I was meaning to grab this one before they "went away". Since I already own the DTS DVD, it was not one of my "priorities", however, these days, EVERYTHING should be a priority! :eek:

THanks for the link Brian. I was meaning to grab this one before they "went away". Since I already own the DTS DVD, it was not one of my "priorities", however, these days, EVERYTHING should be a priority! :eek:

Glad to help.

As the folks here have said, it's a wonderful concert with great music. Having a bonus 5.1 Surround Sound SACD included in this edition is just a great bonus. Too good to pass up !

Back