I posted a poll over at SH Forum

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've noticed this SH forum uses way better software. Can this forum be made the same?

The problem with switching to a different forum software would be that we would lose all of the posts here forever. I do like the VBulletin software and the features it has. Hopefully, EZBoard will catch up.

VBulletin also requires that you have your own web server, as it is only software. EZBoard provides the software and the web hosting, so that is what we use.

On the whole, it's not bad for the price. And it is certainly better than the old Yahoo groups, with all the ads and such.

:-jon

I wanted to vote in your poll so I registered. Since that I had to read and post something myself:

I voted #4 because 5.1 mixes are the most compelling reason for me to re-purchase a title. Therefore I purchase multi-channel on hi-res exclusively, voting with my wallet. Stereo SACD what's the hurry? They'll likely make 5.1 versions eventually, I'm not buying them yet again.

All the stereo releases are readily available on remastered CDs that play in my pair of Sony 400 disc changers. The separate SACD and DVDA players are for 5.1 releases which I consider special events.

Non-hybrid stereo SACD releases are nearly useless to me since I can't shove them in my CD changers, car changer or play in a portable sense. A stereo only non-hybrid SACD should cost less than $15 as the Police catalog demonstrates, but I can't bring myself to buy these for the reasons above. I also think it's a complete sham that the import Police SACDs are hybrid whereas the domestics are not.

Multi-channel audio can take longer, but it's worth the wait. Regardless of the channel configuration, the hi-res formats need to be properly promoted and the catalog expanded to get beyond boutique status. It's much easier for the mp3 population to grasp the value of surround mixes for music than higher quality of what they have now.

If SACD continues to rely on rushing out stereo only product that is to a large extent non-hybrid at Sony catalog prices, the format will not catch on. Universal's experiments are a step in the right direction, but confusing as heck. You've really got to watch the labelling, because non-hybrids and stereo only releases abound.

I hear the hoof (hoff) beats of stereo purists approaching, time to split.

Good post, Tim.

BTW - It is worth joining over there. Although there are a lot of members who do not like Surround sound, there are some who do (and adding more is not a bad thing :D ) and there is always some good info available over there.

:-jon

I joined and posted a vote , but since then I had a hard drive crash:eek: :x ..had to replace the drive and have to recoup the data from the old drive and find my pass words etc.:|
0] Rob

Well I have said the same thing in numerous posts on other threads on the forum. This is my feeling exactly and you do have to vote with your wallet. If people keep buying SACD's with lowly stereo at the top of the food chain then that is what we will all get over time.

Back