Creedence Clearwater Revival Stereo SACDs from Analogue Productions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
First the Rolling Stones and now Creedence Clearwater Revival are coming to Stereo SACD. That's the story today from ace remastering engineer Steve Hoffman. (Hoffman is well known as the man behind the high fidelity remasters on DCC Compact Classic CDs).

Earlier this year, Hoffman teamed up with Kevin Gray to remaster and reissue 7 classic Creedence Clearwater albums on high quality vinyl. Now Hoffman is working with the folks at Analogue Productions to reissue some of the Creedence Clearwater albums on SACD.

The first releases from Creedence Clearwater Revival on SACD will be "Willie And The Poor Boys" and "Cosmo's Factory". Each album will be a Hybrid SACD that features both a stereo High-Resolution SACD and Redbook CD layer.

According to a quote on the Steve Hoffman web site, "Steve just got the test pressings back from Sonopress, Germany, and is delighted with the way they turned out."

Both of the Creedence Clearwater Revival SACDs will be released shortly by Analogue Productions.

From what I've seen on the discussion board on Steve's own website, he's not particularly fond of surround-sound (to put it nicely).

Who knows - somewhere down the line Analogue Productions may indeed redo some of the old Fantasy Quad Master Tapes for Multichannel SACD (Creedence Clearwater, Stanley Turrentine, Blackbyrds, Woody Herman).

We'll have to watch and see.

Why should the public suffer a lack of surround sound recordings simply because some producer doesn't like surround? Does this jerk get to chose for the whole world whether we can hear surround CCR or not? Well, the heck with his mere stereo discs, I have a CCR quadradisc!

The Quadfather

Whoa! Slow down there big guy! Steve Hoffman ain't no jerk. Quite the contrary, actually, probably the nicest guy "in the biz" that you're likely to come across.

He has absolutely no say in which titles get mastered for multi-channel release. However, he does have COMPLETE say for the titles HE masters. That is to say, the record company could very well ask him to master a stereo version and then commission another engineer to master the multi-channel version. That happens all the time (just read the stereo/multi-channel credits on some of your DVD-A titles, there are usually different engineers for either format).

Also, Steve's hesitation in the multi-channel arena does not necessarily mean we'll never see multi-channel titles mastered by him. I'm sure if the right person were to ask him or the money were right, he would probably go for it, and I'm sure he would do an incredible job.

OK. Let me know when he (or anyone else) does these titles in surround. After all, this is a surround website isn't it?

The Quadfather

Yeah, I think we're just getting excited about some cool titles coming out on SACD, even if it just stereo. The implication is that this could be a baby-step towards SACD multi-channel versions. Ya never know...

That may be, but the companies will be glad to sell these things without any remixing if they don't have to. If the stereo sales outpace the multichannel sales by a wide enough margin, they'll be glad to pump out the same product without any additional work on their part. The best message you can send them is by buying only their multichannel SACDs.

That's a good point, but some of these titles are sure hard to resist. I've been holding off on the Stevie Ray Vaughan SACD's even though stereo versions are available. The fact that they have been promised to be released in multi-channel format has kept me waiting. It's starting to drive me nuts! I'm about ready to just buy the stereo versions... somebody hold me back!

:eek:

Hmm, that's a tough one!

I have both of the Stevie Ray Vaughn Stereo SACDs (Texas Flood and Couldn't Stand The Weather). Both are very good on Stereo SACD.

On the other hand, they are on the upcoming Multichannel SACD list. But neither has a firm release date as far as I know.

I think we'll see some of the other Sony Music Multichannel SACD reissues of older catalog albums (Cheap Thrills by Janis Joplin, J-Lo by Jennifer Lopez and Gloria Estefan's Greatest Hits) before those two.

>>That's a good point, but some of these titles are sure hard to resist. I've been holding off on the Stevie Ray Vaughan SACD's even though stereo versions are available. The fact that they have been promised to be released in multi-channel format has kept me waiting. It's starting to drive me nuts! I'm about ready to just buy the stereo versions... somebody hold me back!<<

Over on Hi Rez Highway, there's news of 3 more Creedence Clearwater Revival albums being released by Analogue Productions as Hybrid Layer Stereo SACDs.

The next 3 will be Green River, Bayou Country and the self-titled Creedence Clearwater Revival.

Today's issue of Positive Feedback Magazine on the web has David Robinson's review of the first 2 Creedence Clearwater Revival SACDs.

Check www.positive-feedback.com...crsacd.htm for a look at his story entitled "Analogue Productions Hits a Grand Slam: Creedence Clearwater Revival on SACD—At Last".

This summer release date is old news to me, since someone at Acoustic Sounds told me about this some time ago. One thing I'm wondering about though.. is there any way they could mix Sweet Hitch-hiker and Door To Door into stereo? Those 2 songs have always been mono so far.

THere had been some discussion on the Sweet Hitchiker mix over at SH. Seems that John Fogarty did not want the 3 instruments spread out across the stereo spectrum, but instead wanted them tightly mixed together. That is why that song sounds mono.

:-jon

I guess y'all already know this, I missed or forgot the thread, but I was in Hotlanta yesterday, and purchased two Creedence Clearwater SACD discs from Tower Records. The Jewel case is clearly marked "Multichannel" on both with a grey sticker. I opened "Willie and the Poor Boys", and found a stereo disc. Playing it confirms this. I then carefully examined the art work, and discovered that on the artwork itself, there is only a "stereo" marking. This is also true for the "Cosmo's Factory" disc. So I am assuming that it is also just stereo. Back to Tower Records they will go. I would keep them if they didn't charge me $25.00 for them. Grrr!

The Quadfather

I have been saying all along that the SACD format is confusing. I like SACD, heck I LOVE SACD.

But, the fact that there are so many TYPES pf SACDs, and that many are stickered wrong, creates massive confusion for those who are unfamiliar with the new format.

I must admit that lately the SACD grahics have been greatly improved, but there are many mismarked discs out there.

There are Single Layer, Hybrids, Stereo, Multichannel, and every combination of those 4 choices. This leaves a lot of room for confusion.

Then, throw in the SACDs that are not even MARKED as SACDs! Good grief.

[NOTE] This post has NOTHING TO DO WITH DVD-A! This is just a comment on SACD, and is not meant to infer that DVD-A is less confusing, so all you format warriors, calm down! :D

Back