Pretzel Logic next for Steely Dan

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eggplant said:
P.S. Please note, it's F-a-g-e-n. The other spelling is from Oliver Twist. :)

To be really pedantic, Fagin is from Oliver Twist - Fagan was the guy who broke into the Queen's bedroom!

And of course it's not Brecker either (see first post)

Still, even ES' discography uses Fagan, maybe it's revenge for people (including me!) frequently getting his spelling wrong!

Last edited:
ssully said:
Half of Yes' 'Close to the Edge' multis are apparently still missing...or at least, were reported missing a few years back, and there's been no update.

This has been updated periodically - status: STILL MISSING!

I've been wondering about Steely and Moodies 5.1's too....sometimes patience is rewarded, other times....we get screwed.

ED

ClarkNovak said:
Hope they find them - losing "Aja" would be a tragedy on the same par with the lost of the "Who's Next" multitracks... :(

Hello Clark, We haven't met yet, but maybe someday we'll cross paths at QB's. In the meantime you might want to touch base with Gerardo. He has done a really sweet conversion of Aja where he used decoded karoake to derive the rear channels w/o any vocals in them.

Hey Gerardo, Who's Next????

This is heartbreaking, that after all this time, this still has not been released:

What can we expect next from the Steely Dan canon in surround sound?

Becker: Pretzel Logic (1974) is done, and it will be out sooner than later. The Royal Scam (1976) — we have the masters on dual 16-track [machines], and we’re just getting started there. Aja (1977) is missing some of the master tapes. At one point, we offered $600 for their return [see the liner notes to the 1999 Aja CD reissue from MCA Records for more on that], but there were no takers.

[MM’s 2017 update: I asked Elliot Scheiner about Becker’s above statements on January 31, 2005, and he confirmed to me that he had indeed competed a surround mix for Pretzel Logic, but as of this 2017 writing, it has yet to be released. The Royal Scam appears to remain in limbo to this day, and the bulk of the Aja masters are still, unfortunately, missing from the hands of their rightful owners.]

http://hiresaudiocentral.com/hrac-e...ecker-on-surround-sound-recording-techniques/

Maybe, (sadly) with the death of one of the duo, there will be a jump by the label to get product out there for the public now that there is a Steely Dan media frenzy, and these surround releases will morph into deluxe box sets of these albums. Might be the only way they come out at this point.

Sad to say it would have to be this way.

This is heartbreaking, that after all this time, this still has not been released:

http://hiresaudiocentral.com/hrac-e...ecker-on-surround-sound-recording-techniques/

I noticed the way the "missing masters" of Aja was addressed...they are missing from the hands of their "RIGHTFUL" owners...that's an interesting way to phrase it...almost like they know who has the Masters....just saying...I've seen that same question "danced" around before...if you think about it...how would steal them?...what value would they(partials) be to someone outside the inner circle of the music business...

Maybe, (sadly) with the death of one of the duo, there will be a jump by the label to get product out there for the public now that there is a Steely Dan media frenzy, and these surround releases will morph into deluxe box sets of these albums. Might be the only way they come out at this point.

Sad to say it would have to be this way.

individual albums going from deluxe edition to super deluxe editions, and since there are not a lot of outtakes and unreleased songs, besides hi-res the surround mixes are about all that there sometimes is.

Last edited:
individual albums going from deluxe edition to super deluxe editions, and since there are not a lot of outtakes and unreleased sings, besides hi-res the surround mixes are about all that there sometimes is.

You're probably correct. A small percentage might want all the bells and whistles but I'm sure the majority would prefer stand alone hi res surround releases and if they were BD~As, there's enough real estate for the occasional videos and even outtakes.

Back