DVD/DTS Poll McCartney, Paul & Wings - BAND ON THE RUN [DTS]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD of Paul McCartney and Wings - BAND ON THE RUN

• Total voters
Well, I have to say that Dr. Simple IS THE MAN!!! :smokin :phones :smokin

He is absolutely correct! It has been fixed. Here is a scan of the wav file that he uploaded, showing the first three notes:

Attachments

• botrdts - 1.jpg
    botrdts - 1.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 502
Then, to take things one step further....

I had two copies of this DTS CD. One in the original packaging, and a "back up copy" in the DVD-A sized package. I had opened the newer package to see if it had been fixed, and it too had the purple CD in it. That one I bought a few years ago.

However, before Christmas, I found another copy of BOTR in a Borders and Books, and since I knew it was getting scarce, I bought it (even though it was $19.99) and stashed it away with my spares for trading. I never gave it another thought...............until today.

So, I opened my third copy and it was the yellow disc. I threw it in the player and it was in fact fixed!

The yellow disc is the fixed disc!

Attachments

• botrdts - 2.jpg
    botrdts - 2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 515
Well, I have to say that Dr. Simple IS THE MAN!!! :smokin :phones :smokin

He is absolutely correct! It has been fixed. Here is a scan of the wav file that he uploaded, showing the first three notes:

The HECK with being the MAN - I'm just glad I'm not CRAZY!!! :eek:

Thanks, Jon. I'll sleep well tonight.

Paul

If you look at the scan in post #1 of this thread, you can see that the Q8 wav files have no audio of the first 3 notes in the left channels. However, in the wav files on the "fixed" DTS CD, the 3 notes are in both channels, although the lefts are at a lower volume.

This *might* suggest that instead of going back to the master tape (which might not have been available to them any longer), they just patched the 3 notes into a digital workstation from a stereo CD, and without a benchmark to compare against, they decided to put some audio in all of the channels.

Interesting.............................

Great research work, guys! And I think it won't be long before EBay sellers are touting rare BOTR DTS "yellow discs"...

Hey Jon, is there a way to identify the fixed, yellow disc version by looking at the front or back cover? Or are the two covers identical?

There is no way to tell. I have both the purple and the yellow large cases, and there is no difference at all. No marking, no sticker, no date, no nothing.

However, maybe some do.

This is very cool! I'm glad to see DTS has not totally abandoned their DTS-CD format. I just bought the Moody's "Days Of Future Passed" and am still amazed at how good this format can sound. and it is nice to use it just like a CD without the hassle of wierd bass management/distance problems (sacd/dvd-audio)or using some damned onscreen menu to get it to work.

Just in case anyone else is interested, the title is still available at dvdfromkorea.com. It is, however, the purple version in the dvd-audio case. I received mine a couple of weeks ago, shipped from korea (of course), and it worked fine (the deal). Sorry for any mistakes, its my first post.:)

Managed to get a copy of this at a reasonable price in the end well under £20 (I suppose these things are relative ?) its the yellow disc and very nice it is too. certainly all there nice to have ''Helen Wheels on the disc in surround even if does not appear on the original album, at least they did not cut a song to do it unlike so many American versions of albums.

I like the surround mix its certainly does not spare the rears.

No if i can only get hold of 'Venus and Mars' at a reasonable price (Ill have to be patient again !!)

Last edited:
I like this. The background vocals and sax solos in the rears works nicely and there are a number of sonic treats. Acoustic guitars sound good. This disc really needs to be cranked, however, to open up. My one complaint is that the lead vocals are not mixed high enough. Bass is solid and tight. Overall, it's well-worth owning.

I auditioned the original OOP (with the missing intro notes) tonight. It's like some of the earlier stereo Beatles stuff -- slightly disconcerting in the sometimes-extreme use of 3D pan. Things sounded hard panned (e.g. guitars in Track 3) and doubled-up elements like the saxes in Jet (Track 2) made my brain hurt a little bit.

However if you get your listening position *just* right in the soundfield, you can get some very satisfying thickening of elements like multitracked acoustic guitars. Lead vocals etc. remain pleasingly locked in the centre of the front soundstage, so when the panning is effected well it brings a lovely expansion to the soundstage - the doubling on Track 5 vocals and the shifting of backing vocals & overdubs on Track 6 were lovely, made me feel like I was sitting in the middle of the live room mid-take. The crescendo on the final track and the way the album ended was also surprising, interesting and satisfying to the ear.

Whilst my brain did struggle at times to 'deal' with some of the mix choices, overall this is still an enjoyable disc to listen to. From an engineering perspective, it was a nice little treat to be able to dip the fader on the front channels and listen to what are pretty isolated musical elements with a little natural bleed. That synth in Jet is an awesome drone.

Welcome to QQ, Christopher!

It looks like I voted long ago, but never commented. I gave it a 9. A wonderful, classic album. This is my eighth copy of BOTR. The fidelity wasn't the greatest, even when it was new. No, it isn't awful, so don't shoot me. I've heard better fidelity, even in '73. That's about all I can bitch about. Perhaps Macca's best album. I still have the Q8. I like the mix, especially the synth runs on 1985. It's in my 100 fave albums. Not a bad track on it. YOU NEED IT ON DTS-CD!!

Aw, come on , Linda, the dts cd of BOTR sounds WAY better than the V&M one(which is my favorite!)...
I was listening to this last week and was enjoying it quite a bit...I think it's an excellent mix!!!

Back