DVD/DTS Poll McCartney, Paul & Wings - BAND ON THE RUN [DTS]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD of Paul McCartney and Wings - BAND ON THE RUN

• Total voters
Aw, come on , Linda, the dts cd of BOTR sounds WAY better than the V&M one(which is my favorite!)...
I was listening to this last week and was enjoying it quite a bit...I think it's an excellent mix!!!

Are the aforementioned sites linked in this thread still the recommended places to pick up copies? I can do DTS-CD or DVD-A; never bought into the SACD format because all of my surround listening is done through the PC (doubles as my DAW so is set up for multichannel monitoring).

Are the aforementioned sites linked in this thread still the recommended places to pick up copies? I can do DTS-CD or DVD-A; never bought into the SACD format because all of my surround listening is done through the PC (doubles as my DAW so is set up for multichannel monitoring).

Unfortunately, I think all of the sites mentioned are either closed or do not carry this title anymore...it is from the late 90's!!!
Hope you can find it online thru "fleabay" or somewhere nice...and cheap!
Good Luck!

There are actually 2 versions of the DTS disc
The one I have is the Purple insert; it's actually missing about 2 seconds of the opening track; weird
Supposedly, the disc was fixed with a Yellow insert
Anyway, it's pretty good for a DTS/5.1
Hey, he's a Beatle; enough said

I agree with that, Kap'n. BOTR has MUCH better fidelity than V&M, which is like mud. All I was saying was that although BOTR's fidelity is far from awful, many recordings from the same time were WAY better recorded. I'd go as far as to say that, albeit not surround, most of the Beatles albums had better fidelity than BOTR. My gear might be a bit more unforgiving than most systems. Now, the mix of BOTR and the music itself have few equals. IMHO

Aw, come on , Linda, the dts cd of BOTR sounds WAY better than the V&M one(which is my favorite!)...
I was listening to this last week and was enjoying it quite a bit...I think it's an excellent mix!!!

I always wondered if the Quad mix was limited by the multitracks having been recorded in less than ideal conditions in Nigeria. After watching a BBC docu on the making of BOTR, I learned they recorded 8-track in Nigeria, and upon return to London, dubbed those 8 onto 16-track for further overdubs and sweetening.
As much as I love this album, I think the Quad mix could have been a little more adventurous, especially considering the lavish instrumentation. I detest what I call "Quad Black Holes" which are silent channels in what should be a surround experience. I find that BOTR is silent in the rears for too long on some tracks. Or, worse yet, the same thing playing in the back is also heard in the front. This title does like to use the phantom left and right channels far too much.

Still, I give it a solid 9. Great music, decent Quad mix, but I feel since it's a "feel good" type of album, they missed out on some four-channel playfulness.

Glad to finally get my ears on this classic album! This is one of my favorite albums, with classic songs from start to finish. The mix is excellent 70s quad style with many discrete elements in the rears, although there are many silent moments from the surrounds as well. "Jet" is the only mix I find slightly underwhelming (a little too much surround silence), but it still has some cool surround elements (horns, synth). The sound quality is very good (excellent compared to "Venus and Mars", which is rumored to have been recorded under water). I give it a 9.

The quad Venus and Mars sounds like it was recorded from FM on ferric tape on a fairly cheap stereo (quadeo). I like it though.

The mix is excellent 70s quad style with many discrete elements in the rears, although there are many silent moments from the surrounds as well.

It's true that the rears often contain minimal content but "Helen Wheels" is the only track where there are no instruments at all for significant stretches. Still, this disc is a fun listen. It's a recent purchase for me too. I'll be voting after a few more spins.

I listened to most of this today (I skipped Wheels, because I don't like it, and it interupts the flow of the original album, IMHO of course!) and it does seem less four cornered than some 70s quad mixes. What would have been side 2 seemed to have more going on in the rears. I was pleasantly surprised with the sound quality.

I cannot believe I don't own this. I vividly remember (back years ago) staring at this DTS disc at Best Buy and "simply not picking it up"
What the heck was I thinking? Always been a fan.....

and it does seem less four cornered than some 70s quad mixes.

Its funny/fab you should point this out because I'd never really thought about it but the Band On The Run Quad is much less wacky and four cornered than the Venus & Mars Quad, which is very wacky and err, very four cornered, to put it mildly! Haha! In fact, while BOTR is quite authentic to the Stereo, the Quad of V&M is anything but.. and yet remixed by the same fellas (Geoff Emerick & co.) :D

Just seen your comment tonight - yes: very different mixes! Venus & Mars is a more exciting mix, with the odd clunky edit. I'm listening to just the rears in the front pair at the moment and BOTR - at least on the first three tracks so far - sounds mixed more to today's conventions, although backing vocals remain at the front. I never knew there were strings on Jet! Is that 'cellos on the "ah mater" part?

Mamunia is nice with just the rear channels. It's mostly acoustic guitar in the left, and percussion in the right until around the three minute mark where there's some nice harmony vocals and little bit of panned Moog (?) at the end.

Since this disc is a semi-hot topic right now, can anyone tell me if the sound quality of this disc is comparative to other DTS-CDs? Specifically, I was very disappointed with the sound quality of both Seventh Sojourn and Abraxas. These were the only DTS-CDs that I owned and both had high frequency content so sizzly as to render them unlistenable. They had this problem whether decoded via my receiver or my player. Thanks.

Back