DSTOM in Canada....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daved64

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
A friend of mine is buying me DSOTM for Easter (nice to know an atheist can still get easter gifts!)...and she's having a helluva time finding it, so I decided to help. I call 3 stores....all of them answered by a teenybopper....all of them asking "who???? Pink Floyd???"
One of them telling me it hasn't been released yet (duh!)
Finally found it. My wife says "why do they hire people who don't know anything about music?" I had to explain to her that music stores are no different than fast food restaurants...minimum wage, cheap labour, unpack em and stack em....the days of asking a guy for Axe Victim by Be Bop Deluxe and NOT getting a blank stare are over.
This all happened after I almost got into an argument with a older lady at a wine store who was trying to sell me on the merits of Shania Twain....I had to bite my tongue, all I said was " I LISTEN to music....I don't aerobicize to it"
:rollin:

I have found that HMV staff are generally clueless but the last time I was in BestBuy there was noticeable improvement. It seems that I am training them well. They still don't always get the Tuesday releases on the shelves on Tuesday but most of them are there by 5pm when I roll by. Last Tuesday when the DVD-A of Trapeze was released they didn't have it out in the DVD-A section but I asked one of my "regulars" and they said that they had it but it was still in the back. They brought a copy out and apologized for not having out out on the shelves. Maybe they are afraid that I am going to go postal on them. It helps to have that maniacal look in your eye when you ask for a title. Soon they will learn that if they don't want me to bug them they will get the titles out. The trouble is that I have to train the SACD guy now as well. He is not doing as well.:)

Well, the Multichannel SACD of Shania Twain's "Up" is coming, so....

>>This all happened after I almost got into an argument with a older lady at a wine store who was trying to sell me on the merits of Shania Twain....I had to bite my tongue, all I said was " I LISTEN to music....I don't aerobicize to it" <<

That's one that I will never have. I like to watch Shania but not hear her. So I listen to the SACD of some other title and watch her on the TV with the volume off at the same time. Sure hope I don't get Peter Gabriels SACD "Up" mixed up with hers when I go to the store.

OK, how long will we Canadians have to apologize for Shania Twain ... or Celine Dion for that matter? Sheesh, we gave you Rush and the Guess Who ... doesn't that count for anything? Are we not entitled to the odd mistake in judgement? You can even keep Brian Adams as a peace offering! :lol: Mike.

Oh my GOD?! Quadzilla, you're CANADIAN!!!

That's so cool. we get him. booya. :)

DSOTM is out almost everywhere - depending where you are at, I'd recommend little stores like Edward's in Toronto. My 2 cents. It has yet to show in the electronics stores (FS, BB, etc.) last I checked, but at all the record stores in T.O. it's here.

Now, anybody see cheap SACD/DVD-A's anywhere? FWIW, DVDWave up in Richmond Hill's worth a schlepp, not only do they have great prices on flix, but they've got a bunch of DVD-A's for pretty good CDN prices. Not a shill for the company, but half my salary seems to end up in their register... :)

happy shopping.

Of course he is Canadian. How else would he know how to do all the neat things that he knows how to do?:D

Where is this store? I work at Sheppard and Victoria and sometimes I take Highway 7 east to get home. I figure that I must be close to it. I use BestBuy in Markham or Ajax usuallydor DVD-A and SACD. SACD selection is usually not as good as DVD-A.

Used Mapquest. It's on Leslie near 16th Avenue. That is a bit out of the way but it might be worth a monthly trip there after work. How good is the selection when compared to BestBuy? Do they have other titles that BB doesn't carry?

Yep, QuadZillla lives on the coast of Lake Huron, in Goderich, Ontario. :D On eBay, I go by theQuadFather, but I defer that here. Cheers, Mike.

DVD Wave is probably the best place to pick up dvd videos (selection & price). They're good people. The DVD Audios they get - they usually get by mistake - but they'll have the best price. That's were I picked up Tom Cochrane & Red Rider (DVD -A) for $17.40. The REMs are there as well as a couple of DTS's (dvd-a version) + some Warners & 1 or 2 Silverlines but not that much stuff. They will order anything (on DVD-A) that you want (picked up the Queen disk when it came out thru them - again cheaper than anyone else). Like I said good people - I made it a point to them that if they see the word 'Silverline' on any DVD products not to bother ordering. Don Mills north of Steeles becomes Leslie Street. 1st lights south of Major Mackenzie in a little plaza. Very close to Major Mackenzie & the 404.

I will have to pay them a visit. That is a little cheaper than BB for Tom Cochrane. It was $17.99 at BB. The thing I like about BB is that they usually have DVD-A releases on the release date and I HATE WAITING. It's not as consistent with SACD's however. They had the Police on the release date but the other titles are spotty.

...tell Hope, the woman who manages the store, that I sent y'all... Superchick, that one... :)

Great peeps (uh, "people"), glad you guys are as happy as I am with them.

If you're driving, it's actually between 16th and Major Mac - just take 404 to 16th, turn left (West), go to Leslie St., turn right (North, obviously). It's on the left-hand side, about 1km north. They'll order anything you want, if they can get it. www.dvdwavecanada.com fwiw, for those of you looking for info (apparently, when I was there today they heard about this board - glad you guys are checking them out, it'll encourage a better in-store selection of this stuff... )

now, where can we get cheap(er) SACDs?

That was me, shark. I called and told her I heard about the store from here. I am getting Rumours on DVD-A for $17.99. Thanks for the info

going back a few messages, I would love to hear some of Rush's earlier works (2112, farewell to kings, hemispeheres and to a lesser extent Permanent Waves and Moving Pix) in Multichannel!

Yeah, I'd like the "big" stuff in surround, 2112 could certainly hold up very well with a nice mix. I'm not lining up to buy Roll the Bones, however.

Now, Lighthouse in Quad, that'd be AWESOME! :)

Actually, in terms of 70s/80s Canadian neo-prog, I'm thinking the Germans will push for Saga before anyone else.

My biggest request would be the Joni Catalogue done up well. Court and Spark Quad has poor audio quality, but a really nice, warm mix. I hear Blue is coming, that'll be really nice if done well.

I've got to find Oasis and Frankie Goes to Hollywood SACDs in T.O., if anyone spots them...

by the way, we've hijaaked this post - Canadian multichanel fun!

If you can't find them in Canada, they're available from a variety of web sites in the U.S.

I noticed you guys got a little click thing going here, thought I'd break in and ruffle the feathers a bit!:rollin: Oh Canada, Oh Canada! Is it still cold up over the border !:lol:
0] Rob

Actually yesterday it was 80 degrees. Today however is something different. It will drop to around freezing and freezing rain is forecast for tonight and tomorrow. Also, Rob you are not fooling me, your weather is very close to ours as you are quite close to the border as the crows fly.

DOH..... :lol: :eek: :D :rollin: Yea we hit 89 f and dropping as we .... speak, and they said 43 by the afternoon.. with wind chills in the 30's so much for summer ... opps winter... double opps , What season are we in any way! :lol: :rollin:
0] Rob

Back