DSTOM in Canada....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, I don't know I lost track. I am just cocooning here in my basement listening to some good tunes. If I see my shadow come July 1, I guess it will be summer.:lol:

heh, audio misspelling... the word is "clique", pronounced, occasionally, as "Kleek". I like that we're a "click", though, especially on an audiophilic board such as this... :)

Welcome to our corner. I feel winter's coming back tonight as well... sigh....

For anyone who does not own this now, it is $14.99 Cdn at Costco which less than $10 U.S.

That is a damn good price! Luckily I got it as an Easter gift, but I think my friend paid $19.99 CND at HMV....is it me or is HMV the most evil store when it comes to prices? Bigger is not always better!:mad:

heh, can't wait for the Costco SACD/DVD-A aisle to be installed... :)

Where are you guys buying SACDs, other than Edwards or HMV (or, um, online in USD... meh)?

I get most of them online or from BestBuy. BestBuy has a limited number of titles however. amazon.ca has quite a few titles.

I got one from Wal-Mart Canada yesterday.
Now what are the chances of other SACDs/DVDAs being sold by Wal-Mart? :D

Actually Wal-Mart, Barnes & Nobles and other stores that carry CDs are carrying several of the single inventory, SACD only releases.

These include the 22 Rolling Stones Remastered SACDs, the new Dark Side of the Moon SACD by Pink Floyd and The Hits by The Police.

The new 2-SACD set "Rendezvous in New York" by Chick Corea has also been spotted on sale at 10% off this week at Barnes and Nobles stores.

So if it's an SACD only release, you will indeed find it in places that do not carry the dual inventory SACDs. A very encouraging trend!

Just a heads up for you guys in the GTA area. I had another visit to Edward's Record World on Yonge north of Eglington & was very impressed with their SACD selection/price. Minus the token Sony's & classical (again Sony) (both at still 26.99) I think they have a better selection than HMV downtown. Just picked up the 2 disk set Alison Krauss + Union Station 'Live' for forty bucks, Shaggy's 'Lucky Day' & D. Krall 'Look of Love' for twenty-two. I'm debating wheather go back & pick up the Oasis ($27.00) & the other A. Krauss (between them, HMV,Best Buy & DVD Wave I picked up 19 Hi Rez discs in the last month & I HAVE TO SLOW DOWN). P.S. Eddie's also had Tubular Bells for $35.00.

On sonics, I'd get the other Krauss SACD and the Tubular Bells SACD before the Oasis SACD.

Too late - just came back, put on disk & yuck! I do not seem to have any luck with Sony's. Just picked up the SACD player at the end of the year at Best Buy (I was/am into dvd-a but...Pink Floyd...)picked up a few of their Sony's & wasn't impressed at all. A couple of weeks later thanks to this board I picked up the Beck SACD. I've listen to at least part of it every single day since! Then I picked up Meat Loaf & Tubular Bells (T.B. at close to $50 at HMV - at that time I didn't know Eddie's were selling SACDs) put on the Meat Loaf first & nearly gave up on the format! Thank God for Universal & Channel Classics - these all sound pretty good. Of the eight Sony's (of a little bit over 40) SACDs I have, only Dave Brubeck impressed me.

There are some good Sony SACDs out there. But I wouldn't argue about Channel Classics and Universal. I have yet to pick up any Universal SACD that wasn't a wonderful sonic disc.

I think I mentioned it somewhere here before....but Oasis has crappy production....they have that garage band sound....which suits the music, but for hi rez, forget it!

bmoura: How is that last Krauss disc? I've heard raves.

You mean the new 2-Multichannel SACD set of Alison Krauss & Union Station Live?

That one is very good in both Stereo SACD and Multichannel SACD. It's a direct to DSD recording.

One note though, the new Krauss Live Multi SACD is primarily front focused with ambience and audience in the rear channels - vs. "New Favorite" which is more immersive in its approach to surround.

I like them both. In fact, I have all of the Krauss SACDs. The Rounder folks have done a fine job with them.

I do. But I'm not sure how that relates to DSOTM in Canada.

Seems the thread is drifting a bit. Perhaps it's time to close it.

Back