HiRez Poll Beck - GUERO [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Beck - GUERO

• Total voters
Hey first post! I bought my copy at Best Buy and love the disc. Still haven't heard it in DVD-A , because alas, I have a Pioneer 563-A and haven't gotten the firmware upgrade. :(

I did listen to the Dolby Digital Mix and it's pretty good. Wanted to know if anyone has compared the 2. Of course the DVD-A version will be better, but I wanted to know if they were close?

Anyway, I'm getting the upgrade next week so hopefully it will work.

Pretty much a winner all around. Lots of toys to play with as you experience another winning Elliot Schneider mix. The girl's moving voice on "Hell Yes" seems like she comes up behind you, taps you on the shoulder, and whispers in your ear - spooky. :eek:

It will get repeated play on my system.

A few tricks:

On the main menu, highlight anyone of the bars and instead of hitting enter, hit the right arrow ( the white rectangle disappears) and then hit enter. This jumps you into the E-pro video.

To avoid the skipping some have experienced on “Girl”, hit submenus. This will revel three alternate D-fuse art groups. None of these skipped on the Pioneer 578A.

I haven’t found the Black Tambourine music video - yet. :D

Last edited:
Bob R said:
I haven’t found the Black Tambourine music video - yet. :D

On the speakers menu hit the right arrow. There are 2 angles (versions) available.

btw, 'submenus'? is that a key on your remote or somewhere on the disc's menu page?

Last edited:
I didn't buy this because it wasn't a dual disc or dual layered for my everyday usage. When I got home with the CD, I realized that I could have burned a stereo copy with my DVD audio extractor software, now I feel like a butthead for not getting the multi-channel mix.

jrahrah said:
I didn't buy this because it wasn't a dual disc or dual layered for my everyday usage. When I got home with the CD, I realized that I could have burned a stereo copy with my DVD audio extractor software, now I feel like a butthead for not getting the multi-channel mix.

?? The Deluxe version has 2 discs; a CD and the DVD-A.

Especially when I looked again at the cover which is posted at the beginning of this thread and it says plays on DVD players and nothing of CD players.

Being a new album, I didn't want to spend the extra cash on something I may not like, unless I new I was getting both versions.

jrahrah said:
Alright...rub it in....

You could rub in the fact that I had to pay $32 for it up here in the frozen north. You could buy the CD and the Deluxe version now and be at about the same price point I am at.

jrahrah said:
Alright...rub it in....

I could also rub in the fact that in bold red letters in the first post I have noted that that package contains both a CD and a DVD! :eek: ;)

But I won't! :smokin

Aw - maybe I will......................:mad:@:

Sorry, i could not help myself. :cool:

:-jon

BananaSlug said:
On the speakers menu hit the right arrow. There are 2 angles (versions) available.

btw, 'submenus'? is that a key on your remote or somewhere on the disc's menu page?

Oops.

I should have typed "subtitles". It is a button on my 578A remote and it's also part of the "how to get the best ....." from the other Guero thread.

Thanks for the other video clue. :phones

JonUrban said:
I could also rub in the fact that in bold red letters in the first post I have noted that that package contains both a CD and a DVD! :eek: ;)

But I won't! :smokin

Aw - maybe I will......................:mad:@:

Sorry, i could not help myself. :cool:

:-jon

If only I read here first, but I read the package which is misleading-don't you think?

jrahrah said:
If only I read here first, but I read the package which is misleading-don't you think?

Absolutely! That is why I added the line about the CD being included, because it is not mentioned anywhere on the package! I thought that was VERY strange!

I just got this on Sunday at Best Buy. I can't believe they actually had a few of the CD/DVD's. :)
Great surround mix, and good music. A 9.
On another note, i also got the Gretchen Wilson DD, and the young fellow that helped me find both of these asked me what a dualdisc was. But in his defense, he did look new to the job.
Anyway happy with the Beck CD/DVD. :)

I am not entering a rating for this disc. I know you folks hate it when someone gives a low ball rating to a disc you all love. In terms of the music I would give it a 4. I have listened to this disc more than a half dozen times and can not figure out why Beck's music is so popular. This just is not the kind of music I enjoy. I did not care for Sea Change either, but, I bought Guero anyway because an earlier poster said that it was not anything like Sea Change. In terms of the DVD-A packaging, mix and extras this has to be one of the best efforts I have seen. If I were scoring based on only those factors it would be a clear 10.

I have had trouble with the track "Girl" when playing the video version on my upgraded Pioneer 563A. Sometimes it chokes at the very beginning and sometimes at closer to the end of the track. When it chokes it reboots the disc just like when I first insert the disc in the player. Has anyone else had this problem?

FYI at Fry's where I purchased this disc it was placed among the music videos and not in either the DVD-A or CD section.

Gotta agree with TCdriver. No doubt a great mix, but I just can't get into the music. A couple of songs I kind of enjoy, but there's a bunch of it I can't even listen to. Found myself telling my kid to turn that crap off only to realize, I was playing it. Can't imagine it'll get many more plays at my house. But as I said, if you are fan of Beck, the mix and production are top notch.

KW

kvsawilson said:
Found myself telling my kid to turn that crap off only to realize, I was playing it.

LOL!

I gave it an 8. Great mix and it sounds great, and I want to like it. This is the best sound effects arranged in a musical progression that I've heard, but I wouldn't exactly call it music. I almost gave it a 1 because I know I'll like the Porcupine Tree at least ten times as much - I guess I'll just have to give Deadwing an 80 when it gets here.

Well I finally got my Pioneer 563-A upgraded and so far, it's a great mix. Everybody has there opinion on the disc and I'll agree part of the way with a couple of the songs, but overall ...what can I say, I love Beck. Sea Change in my opinion was his best work yet, but this is a nice disc as well. I thought the 5.1 Dolby Digital mix was quite impressive as well.

Back