HiRez Poll Beck - GUERO [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Beck - GUERO

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Available only in the US as the second disc in the "Deluxe" package, this new release from Beck is sure to please fans and newcomers. Once I listen to it a few more times, I'll post more details.

In the meantime, here is what you are looking for in the stores. It's a big package, shaped like a book. Best Buy had them for $19.99, and they did not ring up (for me anyway) as being on sale.

>>>> THIS PACKAGE INCLUDES A CD AND A DVD-A <<<<

:sun

Attachments

• beck1.jpg
    beck1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 879
Here are the "HiRez" details:

Attachments

• Beck2.jpg
    Beck2.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 882
One more peek at the details:

Attachments

• beck3.jpg
    beck3.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 845
I received a copy of Guero (CD +DVD Pack) today in the post European edition. From the scans its the same as the US edition minus that nice FBI logo. I only have CD at work so am listening to that at the moment great album.
Ill have to review the DVD when I have the chance later today.

I’ve only listened to it once in Mch and once in my car but what the heck, I’ll throw this out for people to chew on. First of all, whether you loved Sea Change (which I did) or hated it, this one is nothing whatsoever like that. That disclaimer aside, I really like this - - especially the Mch version. It’s filled with various snatches of catchy melodies, lots of Dust Brother percussion and clever samples, plus a nice array of different guitar sounds ranging from heavy distortion to acoustic slide. I enjoyed it from beginning to end. Most importantly, I found that some of the songs which sounded a bit busy in my car really spread out nicely in my living room. I’ve never met an Elliot Scheiner mix I didn’t like, and this one’s no exception. Another point to hammer home is that this is really a Deluxe edition effort: 7 extra songs on the CD plus a video for every song on the DVD (note: the videos are in dolby 5.1 only - - the DVD-A track only shows snapshots with the music). All of this is packaged in a beautiful high-quality color book. All told, this would be a great template for delivering redbook/hi-rez multichannel music in the future. How nice it would be if all releases were this thoughtful.

I really enjoyed this one. I had listened to the stereo version at work yesterday after I bought it, and was really grooving on it. As mentioned, absolutely nothing like Sea Change - this is a return to Beck's Odelay territory. (For those who don't really follow Beck's career very closely, Sea Change was actually a bit of an anomaly, although the earlier Mutations album had a similar vibe.)

The surround mix on this is really nice. Those who like a lot of "action" with their surround mixes should be pretty happy. There's a lot going on all over the place.

Gave it a "9" if only because, well, it's no Sea Change (one of my favorite albums of all time, surround or not). But still definitely worth picking up. :phones

Ok. I don't begrudge the price anymore. This thing blew me away! I love the music on the first listen and it will only get better with familiarity. What really raises this up though is the production and the mix. From this perspective it is one of the best hi-rez surround discs in my collection. The clarity is incredible and it is nice to hear the same quality coming from the rears as well. ES has done it again. He is without doubt the master of surround. I have to give it a 10 because 11 isn't allowed. It doesn't get any better than this. Trust me.

daved64 said:
LOL! All that hesitation for nothing! :D

True. This is outstanding. A definite demo disc. The thing is that the first track is distorted/compressed, on purpose no doubt. But then comes track two and that's when it becomes evident that this is a standout disc. Definately shows what DVD-A is capable of.

Guy Robinson said:
True. This is outstanding. A definite demo disc. The thing is that the first track is distorted/compressed, on purpose no doubt. But then comes track two and that's when it becomes evident that this is a standout disc. Definately shows what DVD-A is capable of.
Lots of samples.....the first song samples the riff from a Beastie Boys song, so there's built in grunge! I will have to get this.......nice disc to test the basement....and my neighbours patience!

daved64 said:
Lots of samples.....the first song samples the riff from a Beastie Boys song, so there's built in grunge! I will have to get this.......nice disc to test the basement....and my neighbours patience!

Definately. Set 'em all to large and turn it up.

:banana: Finally had a listen to the MC mix last night, For Mr Wilkes the disc does not suffer from being 48/24 resolution, this is a demo quality disc, and and an the best double disc package I have. My only complaint I can not fit it on the same shelf as my other DVD-A's :eek:

The music and Mix is up with Beck at his best fun throughout the disc with all speakers used in an almost flaming lips style.
My favorite songs E-Pro, Emergency exit, Rental car, but the whole disc is a must for the Multi channel collector. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Just read a thread on another forum concerning this disc. You know the forum I am referring to. I try to stay away from it because I usually get into an argument. I think some of those guys are buying a different disc. "Lo-Rez" is a term being used there for the surround mix. I just don't get it.

A winner. Intelligent surround mix - active, but not gimmicky. Listened to the two-channel CD in my car, and the differences are apparent - the CD mix goes for punch and power. The cojones are there in the hi-res surround, no doubt, but the overall vibe is more of a long, druggy, sunny Saturday afternoon with bursts of strength. I can't put my finger on it, but I always had the feeling that, no matter where a particular sound was placed, it "belonged" there - it was all very natural and logical (and crystal clear, to boot.)

A lot has been written comparing this to "Odelay," especially because of the Dust Brothers contribution. It's closer to that than to "Sea Change" or "Mutations," true, but nine years and a lot of water have passed under the bridge. It's quite a bit less peppy and poppy than "Odeleay" - there's an ominous, foreboding sense overlaying the whole enterprise, and the mixes are, for the most part, darker and murkier.

Have to say a word about the slide show that accompanies it. I've seen some dismissive comments about it, but viewed on a progressive-scan player and an HD monitor, it's stunning - saturated color, almost hyperreal - a perfect complement to the sounds. Only quibble is that the pictures repeat, but since they turn over every three seconds or so, I suppose it would be asking too much for every one on the 80-minute album to be new.

radiodaddy said:
A winner. Intelligent surround mix - active, but not gimmicky. Listened to the two-channel CD in my car, and the differences are apparent - the CD mix goes for punch and power. The cojones are there in the hi-res surround, no doubt, but the overall vibe is more of a long, druggy, sunny Saturday afternoon with bursts of strength. I can't put my finger on it, but I always had the feeling that, no matter where a particular sound was placed, it "belonged" there - it was all very natural and logical (and crystal clear, to boot.)

A lot has been written comparing this to "Odelay," especially because of the Dust Brothers contribution. It's closer to that than to "Sea Change" or "Mutations," true, but nine years and a lot of water have passed under the bridge. It's quite a bit less peppy and poppy than "Odeleay" - there's an ominous, foreboding sense overlaying the whole enterprise, and the mixes are, for the most part, darker and murkier.

Have to say a word about the slide show that accompanies it. I've seen some dismissive comments about it, but viewed on a progressive-scan player and an HD monitor, it's stunning - saturated color, almost hyperreal - a perfect complement to the sounds. Only quibble is that the pictures repeat, but since they turn over every three seconds or so, I suppose it would be asking too much for every one on the 80-minute album to be new.

I'm glad everyone on this forum is sane. :)
I just made a trip back to the koo-koo land forum and :mad:@:

I think this goes to show the future (and fun) of MC is in new music. I like some re-issues, but this is where the real fun is.

Guy Robinson said:

I know that place!

To (mis)quote Yoda, "much anger I sense in them..."

Guy Robinson said:

I had to finally leave that thread yesterday because I was just so tired of hearing the same person consistantly bashing the recording, obviously before he/she had the opportunity to review the entire thing. It sounds fantastic to me, and while I appreciate the freedom we have to criticize, every other post pointing out the same thing was tiring me out. They were first upset that the Black Tambourine and E-Pro videos were not on the disc. Well guess what, they are.

I am definitely going to turn it up tonight, because the last two nights, I've been unable to listen to it until after 10pm, and haven't really pressed the issue of listening to it at a greater volume.

lorax said:
I am definitely going to turn it up tonight, because the last two nights, I've been unable to listen to it until after 10pm, and haven't really pressed the issue of listening to it at a greater volume.

It sounds fantastic at a loud volume.

Re: That "other place". They never seem to be happy about anything. Bunch of whiners.

Back