View Poll Results: Rate the SACD of Monty Alexander - MEETS SLY AND ROBBIE

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10: Great Mix, Great Sonics, Great Content

    4 30.77%
  • 9:

    6 46.15%
  • 8:

    2 15.38%
  • 7:

    0 0%
  • 6:

    1 7.69%
  • 5:

    0 0%
  • 4:

    0 0%
  • 3:

    0 0%
  • 2:

    0 0%
  • 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

    0 0%
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Alexander, Monty - MONTY MEETS SLY AND ROBBIE [SACD]

  1. #1
    Board Operator JonUrban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    11,607
    Points
    840,941
    Level
    100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranOverdriveCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Alexander, Monty - MONTY MEETS SLY AND ROBBIE [SACD]

    Please post your comments, thoughts and observations....... :thumbsdow

  2. #2
    The Real Thing Cai Campbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,007
    Points
    18,098
    Level
    85
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: NEW!: Alexander, Monty - MONTY MEETS SLY AND ROBBIE [SACD]

    One of my very favorite surround SACD titles and one I always come back to... a great demo disc or one to simply kick back to and smile...

    For those who don't know Sly and Robbie, they are the Jamaican Rhythm Kings and have performed on countless albums, supplying the beats to some of the best music to come out of Jamaica (or anyplace else, for that matter).

    Monty Alexander is a technically brilliant pianist, whose traditional style does not interfere with his adventurous spirit. The teaming of these three gents left me scratching my head but I was surprised at how well this came off!

    The trio concentrates on 50's and 60's hits that each have their own signature infectious groove (cuts include Herbie Hancock's "Chameleon" and Ramsey Lewis' "The In Crowd"). The interpretations here are updated and Sly and Robbie don't hold back in laying down some far-out funky grooves! Monty's stylistic electric piano is overlaid to complete the scene. The result is very satisfying.

    The recording is absolutely brilliant and the surround mix is extremely active and aggressive. The bass is tight and full. This title is sure to give your surround-sound system a serious workout!

    I absolutely love this title. The song selection, the arrangements, the performance, surround mix, everything comes together to supply an ultimately satisfying experience. I really cannot recommend this one enough.

    If I had to choose one thing to complain about, it would be that the recording is almost a bit too sparse, with too much contrast between Monty's piano and the rhythm section. It might have been nice to add a few more instruments to fill the gap... but then, perhaps not. Maybe this would have ruined the effect.

    In any event, best to leave well enough alone. I give this one 9.5 points, but I'll round up to 10. You really can't go wrong here.

  3. #3
    Friendly Moderator bmoura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    Posts
    4,345
    Points
    34,643
    Level
    100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: NEW!: Alexander, Monty - MONTY MEETS SLY AND ROBBIE [SACD]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cai Campbell
    One of my very favorite surround SACD titles and one I always come back to... a great demo disc or one to simply kick back to and smile...

    For those who don't know Sly and Robbie, they are the Jamaican Rhythm Kings and have performed on countless albums, supplying the beats to some of the best music to come out of Jamaica (or anyplace else, for that matter).

    Monty Alexander is a technically brilliant pianist, whose traditional style does not interfere with his adventurous spirit. The teaming of these three gents left me scratching my head but I was surprised at how well this came off!
    There are a number of good Monty Alexander SACDs out there. His Stereo SACD Tribute to Bob Marley on Telarc is a winner (a direct to DSD recording) as well as his Surround SACD on Concord Jazz and the one with Ernest Ranglin in Surround SACD on Telarc.

    All of those are recommended !

  4. #4
    The Real Thing Cai Campbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,007
    Points
    18,098
    Level
    85
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Alexander, Monty - MONTY MEETS SLY AND ROBBIE [SACD]

    Jeez, doesn't anyone else on this board have this disc? Vote, for cryin' out loud! And if you don't own this disc, run out an buy it. NOW!


  5. #5
    Junior Member mcherdering's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17
    Points
    5,292
    Level
    46
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Alexander, Monty - MONTY MEETS SLY AND ROBBIE [SACD]

    This is a great album. I found it interesting to hear old standards like Soulful Strut, The In Crowd, Do The Kool Step and Mercy, Mercy, Mercy done like this. Itís one thing to hear them with a jazz bent, but throw in the reggae influences and youíve really got something to smile about. The mix is excellent; all 5.1 channels get ample use.
    If some is good, and more is better, then too much is just enough.

    - Anonymous

  6. #6
    Friendly Moderator bmoura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    Posts
    4,345
    Points
    34,643
    Level
    100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Alexander, Monty - MONTY MEETS SLY AND ROBBIE [SACD]

    Quote Originally Posted by mcherdering
    This is a great album. I found it interesting to hear old standards like Soulful Strut, The In Crowd, Do The Kool Step and Mercy, Mercy, Mercy done like this. Itís one thing to hear them with a jazz bent, but throw in the reggae influences and youíve really got something to smile about. The mix is excellent; all 5.1 channels get ample use.
    It's a fun Surround Sound SACD that gives your .1 subwoofer channel a real work out.

    The arrangements are pretty wild - reggae meets jazz. But then again, all of the Monty Alexander SACDs on Telarc feature some pretty creative takes on the material.

    And the 5.1 mix is by Robert Friedrich at Telarc - the same engineer behind the mixes of the LAGQ SACDs. So it's hard to miss there.

  7. #7
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star BananaSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Petaluma, CA
    Posts
    1,840
    Points
    12,839
    Level
    73
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Alexander, Monty - MONTY MEETS SLY AND ROBBIE [SACD]

    Interesting, and very good - 9.

  8. #8
    400 Club - QQ All Star bugdaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    439
    Points
    8,340
    Level
    61
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Alexander, Monty - MONTY MEETS SLY AND ROBBIE [SACD]

    Great takes on great songs; bundled up nicely in a discreet mix. This thing really cooks. My advice: Crack open a Red Stripe and play extremely loud.
    Barry from San Diego

  9. #9
    The Real Thing Cai Campbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,007
    Points
    18,098
    Level
    85
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Alexander, Monty - MONTY MEETS SLY AND ROBBIE [SACD]

    Quote Originally Posted by bugdaddy
    Great takes on great songs; bundled up nicely in a discreet mix. This thing really cooks. My advice: Crack open a Red Stripe and play extremely loud.
    Now yer talkin!


  10. #10
    300 Club - QQ All Star MIDIQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    US
    Posts
    363
    Points
    8,599
    Level
    62
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Alexander, Monty - MONTY MEETS SLY AND ROBBIE [SACD]

    I must say the surround mix is GREAT, and the music is very good also. I vote 9. A keeper.

  11. #11
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star Chris Gerhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    2,669
    Points
    14,959
    Level
    79
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 391
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: NEW!: Alexander, Monty - MONTY MEETS SLY AND ROBBIE [SACD]

    Quote Originally Posted by bmoura View Post
    There are a number of good Monty Alexander SACDs out there. His Stereo SACD Tribute to Bob Marley on Telarc is a winner (a direct to DSD recording) as well as his Surround SACD on Concord Jazz and the one with Ernest Ranglin in Surround SACD on Telarc.

    All of those are recommended !
    I just picked up Monty Alexander Ivory & Steel "Jamboree", Concord Jazz mch SA-CD and I assume this is the one you recommend. It is terrific in my opinion, but like the other Concord Jazz, no flashy surround effects, but very effective use of the format. I am continuing to try to obtain more of the Concord Jazz 5.1 releases, I have liked every one I have heard so far.

    Chris

  12. #12
    Friendly Moderator bmoura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    Posts
    4,345
    Points
    34,643
    Level
    100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: NEW!: Alexander, Monty - MONTY MEETS SLY AND ROBBIE [SACD]

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
    I just picked up Monty Alexander Ivory & Steel "Jamboree", Concord Jazz mch SA-CD and I assume this is the one you recommend. It is terrific in my opinion, but like the other Concord Jazz, no flashy surround effects, but very effective use of the format. I am continuing to try to obtain more of the Concord Jazz 5.1 releases, I have liked every one I have heard so far.

    Chris
    No, I was referring to two of his SACDs on the Telarc label:

    Telarc SACD-63581 - Rock Steady by Monty Alexander (piano and melodica) and Ernest Ranglin (lead guitar) (Surround Sound SACD)

    Telarc SACD-63469 - Stir It Up, The Music of Bob Marley by Monty Alexander:
    (Stereo SACD)

  13. #13
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star Chris Gerhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    2,669
    Points
    14,959
    Level
    79
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 391
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: NEW!: Alexander, Monty - MONTY MEETS SLY AND ROBBIE [SACD]

    Quote Originally Posted by bmoura View Post
    No, I was referring to two of his SACDs on the Telarc label:

    Telarc SACD-63581 - Rock Steady by Monty Alexander (piano and melodica) and Ernest Ranglin (lead guitar) (Surround Sound SACD)

    Telarc SACD-63469 - Stir It Up, The Music of Bob Marley by Monty Alexander:
    (Stereo SACD)
    What is the Concord Jazz surround you referred to?

    Chris

  14. #14
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star Chris Gerhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    2,669
    Points
    14,959
    Level
    79
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 391
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Alexander, Monty - MONTY MEETS SLY AND ROBBIE [SACD]

    I decided not to wait any longer and ordered this one before it disappears forever. This guy makes music perfect for the format.

    Chris

  15. #15
    Friendly Moderator bmoura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    Posts
    4,345
    Points
    34,643
    Level
    100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Alexander, Monty - MONTY MEETS SLY AND ROBBIE [SACD]

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
    I decided not to wait any longer and ordered this one before it disappears forever. This guy makes music perfect for the format.

    Chris
    What makes you think this SACD is going to "disappear forever"? Telarc is issuing new Super Audio CDs every month - and has been for some time !

  16. #16
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star Chris Gerhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    2,669
    Points
    14,959
    Level
    79
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 391
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Alexander, Monty - MONTY MEETS SLY AND ROBBIE [SACD]

    Quote Originally Posted by bmoura View Post
    What makes you think this SACD is going to "disappear forever"? Telarc is issuing new Super Audio CDs every month - and has been for some time !
    I am rather certain it will disappear forever, it is just when I don't know. You may have inside information that Telarc will continue to manufacture the older releases for some time, I wasn't aware of that. I know Telarc does release SACD still but without knowing what titles will become OOP or what inventory is available of the remaining titles that aren't still being pressed I didn't want to take a chance. I doubt seriously if this title will still be available in a couple of years but it is readily available now. This the last Telarc SACD I am aware of that I wanted.

    I hope Telarc continues with SACD for a long time, but I sure don't have the benefit of knowing anything about the company to be able to come to that conclusion. I do know I haven't seen anything new from Concord, Sony or Universal in ages I want. This one must be one of the very early surround SACD releases, although I didn't check the release date.

    Chris

  17. #17
    Friendly Moderator bmoura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    Posts
    4,345
    Points
    34,643
    Level
    100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Alexander, Monty - MONTY MEETS SLY AND ROBBIE [SACD]

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
    I hope Telarc continues with SACD for a long time, but I sure don't have the benefit of knowing anything about the company to be able to come to that conclusion. I do know I haven't seen anything new from Concord, Sony or Universal in ages I want. This one must be one of the very early surround SACD releases, although I didn't check the release date.

    Chris
    Telarc is certainly continuing to release new Surround Sound SACDs. Some of the highlights this year include the newly recorded albums by Ann Hampton Callaway, John Pizzarelli and Al Di Meola.

    And Telarc is already at work on Surround Sound SACDs for next year.

  18. #18
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star Chris Gerhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    2,669
    Points
    14,959
    Level
    79
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 391
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Alexander, Monty - MONTY MEETS SLY AND ROBBIE [SACD]

    Quote Originally Posted by bmoura View Post
    Telarc is certainly continuing to release new Surround Sound SACDs. Some of the highlights this year include the newly recorded albums by Ann Hampton Callaway, John Pizzarelli and Al Di Meola.

    And Telarc is already at work on Surround Sound SACDs for next year.
    I was just at the Telarc site and registered to receive announcements by email. I need to continue to look at the upcoming releases. Telarc is awesome, thanks for the good news.

    Chris

  19. #19
    Friendly Moderator bmoura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Redwood City, CA
    Posts
    4,345
    Points
    34,643
    Level
    100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Alexander, Monty - MONTY MEETS SLY AND ROBBIE [SACD]

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
    I was just at the Telarc site and registered to receive announcements by email. I need to continue to look at the upcoming releases. Telarc is awesome, thanks for the good news.

    Chris
    Absolutely! Telarc continues to do record and release new Surround Sound SACDs.

    I'd suggest checking out the sound clips of some of the newer Surround Sound SACDs from this year. Some of the highlights from 2006 include the SACDs by Spyro Gyra, Kunzel's Great Film Fantasies, Round Up with Frankie Laine now in Surround Sound, John Pizzarelli with the Clayton-Hamilton Jazz Big Band, Brecker Brothers, Ann Hampton Callaway with the Diva Jazz Orchestra and Al Di Meola.

    And you can't go wrong with the Monty Alexander SACDs either. Both the Surround Sound SACDs and his early direct to DSD Stereo SACD of Bob Marley tunes.

    Lots of Telarc SACDs there to choose from!

  20. #20
    400 Club - QQ All Star callmez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    Posts
    440
    Points
    11,547
    Level
    70
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 103
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Alexander, Monty - MONTY MEETS SLY AND ROBBIE [SACD]

    Monty Alexander is a major player on six different surround SACDs, encompassing a pretty wide range of music. The three I have are all good.

    This one benefits significantly from Sly & Robbie's funkiness, and the percussive sounds all around the room are a real treat. There are some great choices among the song selections, notably "Chameleon", "Mercy, Mercy (Mercy)", and "Sidewinder". The included booklet has 5 pages on the recording itself, one page of other Telarc SACDs, and 8 pages (!) explaining SACD and multichannel setups -- a pretty good indication of the age of this one. Copyright 2000!

    A solid 9. I really thought that I preferred Monty's "Rocksteady" to "Meets Sly & Robbie", but I'm going to have to give that some more consideration. Only one way to do that...

    Mark Z

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •