HiRez Poll Various Artists - OZZFEST LIVE 2002 [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Various Artists - OZZFEST LIVE 2002

• 10: Great Mix, Great Sonics, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9:

• 8:

• 7:

• 4:

• 3:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

This is by far the worst SACD in my collection. I regret ever having bought this. The performances, especially by Ozzy, are the absolute pits! I've never been a fan of arena-type concert recordings and this recording is a prime example why. The "soundfield" (if you can call it that) is just random mush of a bad PA system in an acoustically unfriendly envrionment with loud, unintelligible hard rock (which I otherwise enjoy) and a sea of yelling heads. Sure, the concert recording is an interesting tidbit for collectors of the various bands who performed, but did this thing really deserve the full-blown, surround-sound SACD treatment? An emphatic NO from me! Talk about using an elephant gun to kill a mouse. Two points.

The worst "surround sound" disc in my collection. But not completely worthless.

The music is nice and loud, and if you like metal from the late 90's and early 00's, you'll dig it. System of A Down and Rob Zombie sound great!

Now, for the bad (everything else):

The SS mix is a joke. A little bit of ambiance from the crowd and bad reverb in the rear channels is all you get. The reverb ruins War Pigs (a serious downer, I had real high hopes).

The person who decided track order obviously decided on it by saying to himself: "Ok, so I have all this great music from a concert series, I've got it down to enough tracks to make a disc. Now, I'm going to take the most popular artists and put them first, and let the disc get worse as it goes on. Start with Ozzy and end with some schmuck no one will ever hear from again. I'm sure the buyers will love that. Listen to the first four or five tracks, and be done with it."

I read the warnings from all of the SS fansites about the disc, and I still took a chance on it simply because of Rob Zombie and SOAD. That and amazon claimed it was their last copy on the site (now they show more...grrr). Am I disappointed that the producers could've done better? Oh yes. Could they have put more from the bigger bands on it and make it more enjoyable? Oh yeah. But they wanted to give a representation of what the festival offered in terms of artist variety. I get that. I just hope they didn't give the same representation of reverb from the shows.

5 just because Rob Zombie and SOAD sound so good.

Back