DVD/DTS Poll Clapton, Eric - There's One In Every Crowd [DTS CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD of Eric Clapton - THERE'S ONE IN EVERY CROWD

• 10 Great mix, Great Sonics, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
Great mix, and good music. I like this one a lot. A 9. :)

Really like this .Deceptively simple but it really has grown on me.
And it all so obviously comes from the heart .

9 easy

~M~

Although the material is not his best, another great sounding surround release from Clapton

Attachments

• EC - there's one in every crowd dts.jpg
    EC - there's one in every crowd dts.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 551
Have to say I like this disc. decent enough mix again shame its not full stregth DVDA but its well enough mixed another old quad winner.

A "9"!
I love this! musically its my cup of laid back tea. sonically it wipes the floor with the quad/DTS 461 OB.
its easily one of my most-played DTS CDs.

Another 9 from me...
Got a soft spot for EC....and it's a relatively recent thing too...didn't use to like him that much before.
Good mix.
More relaxed than normal, but still great.
1 point off for not being hi Res, but still thankful it was one of the best sounding DTS-CDs of the bunch...

playing this for the millionth time.. and loving it as much as ever!

I SO wish more people would chime in about this.. or buy it if they don't already have it!

the surround mix is easily one of the best quad things ever officially transferred to digital (imho)..

..and the sound.. ohhh.. this could almost be Hi-Rez!

some of the best recorded drums in rock & pop I've ever heard, they have a beautiful in-room feel..

crank this baby up and give your speakers some really dynamic stuff to play with! this shows how well-recorded music can go from a whisper to a thunderclap in a heartbeat! a good test of your kit I reckon.

ok, so it doesn't kick ass like the 461 OB album.. but in its sweet downplayed old way this still rocks!

I'd give it a "10" if I were rating it for the QQ Poll today.

the fact it's only $12.32 on Amazon.com right now should be an even greater incentive! at that price I'm tempted to buy all 4 copies the seller is showing as having left just for backups!

oh and shutting off the centre channel shows just how great the stereo/phantom centre imaging could be on these vintage Quad mixes, it's like EC's vocals and other instruments are magically hovering in space between the front L&R (something you don't get on this one with the centre channel active).

In stereo, this LP is a coaster. Quad totally brings it to life! I can listen to High & Pretty Blue Eyes all day long.

In stereo, this LP is a coaster. Quad totally brings it to life! I can listen to High & Pretty Blue Eyes all day long.

absolutely agree with you 100%! Quad takes the album to a whole new place!

funny story.. but it made a huge impression on me as a child.. my older brother had the "There's One In Every Crowd" LP and wrote in big letters across the vinyls' sleeve (diagonally right across the beautiful doggy on the front cover! you couldn't miss it!)..

"This is the worst record ever made!"

little did I know that 25 years later it'd be one of my most listened to albums (albeit in surround sound!) :D

and you know what's even more remarkable (surprising!?) is I got my love of Elton, Queen, Bowie, Rod, Clapton, Toto, Boston, Van Halen, The Eagles, Jethro Tull, Zeppelin (you name it, he's got great taste! I reckon anyway!) from him! practically all my all-time rock heroes are thanks to my brothers' influence.. and yet he hated this particular Clapton album so much he felt the need to scrawl that across the sleeve just to let anyone flicking through his records know!!

..which kind of bears out your sentiments Larry that this is a bit of a snooze-fest in stereo :D

the Quad on the other hand is quite remarkable, I love it! (y)

I need to listen to this again before I vote. I bought the CD-4 in the day (as a cutout), CD and DTS-CD. This one never hit me as something great. How many people do you know that would have bought three copies of something they aren't fond of? I'm a Clapton completists and a plan Quad nut.

Unexpectedly engaging and surprisingly discrete this DTS-CD really was a high point in the quad-to-digital early days. It sets an airy space before your ears and proceeds to warmly deliver every part of the mix into lively placements . I admit I too only played this a couple of times having picked it up at a jumble sale on vinyl. I don't remember disliking it as much as some have written about above but it certainly didn't grab me enough to go back after a few spins. This disc is a different beast though - some how the plodding nature of the stereo version gets a new syncopated lease of life via this mix. It snaps better, the grooves don't shuffle, they bounce pleasantly around you. Hammonds hum and grind sweetly against crisp wah-wah guitar. Elegant female vocals float breezily both upfront and in the rears and just when you've been lured into a metronomic lull, Eric surfaces with a squealing string bend to remind you whose show it really is.

Stereo poo-pooers would do well to get hold of this at a low price as it genuinely sounds fantastic and you may just be surprised by what you hear. 9.

I was just playing this one in the car on my way to work... the surround sound comes through really well...

Last edited:
Decent Clapton, but nothing particularly exceptional, and the mix reflects this...a '6'....

ED

Have you revisited this recently? This mix is great, I can't imagine not liking it a lot. Mostly laid back tunes but the mix raises it a few levels. Bluray reissue on the box set!

Probably being too critical, IMHO, but EC & this DTS CD are just ok;
Probably a 5; (being generous), because of the artist
Lets put it this way; if this were his 1st recording, I'd probably forget who he is
Kind of puts me to sleep; decent, at best; if it weren't 5.1, I'd give it away(n)

Last edited:
Probably being too critical, IMHO, but EC & this DTS CD are just ok;
Probably a 5; (being generous), because of the artist
Lets put it this way; if this were his 1st recording, I'd probably forget who he is
Kind of puts me to sleep; decent, at best; if it weren't 5.1, I'd give it away(n)
Well, it isn't 5.1, it's 4.0, so give it away.

Back