Future Pink Floyd SACD's?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PatA1

Does anyone here think that the release of Dark Side of the Moon will lead to other Pink Floyd releases on SACD(hopefully further 5.1 releases)?

Hopefully, esp since the titles forward of DSOTM are on Sony!! Maybe WYWH or The Wall will be next!! (I hope)

:-jon

I don't know which one I'd look forward to more. They'd all sound fantastic in 5.1! I hope this release of Dark Side will encourage the release of others. Animals in surround would be wonderful.

Well, you have James Guthrie's vote on that.

According to Audio Revolution, he said "I hope we can look forward to more Floyd releases in this format. Their music is perfect for surround sound. They are, after all, pioneers in the 3-dimensional audio experience, and have been performing live with quad sound for years. In fact, one of the first quad pan pots, called the "Azimuth Coordinator", was developed especially for the band.

It's a natural progression to make 5.1 mixes of their work."

Check the full transcript of his remarks at the DSOTM Press Event at www.audiorevolution.com/n...side.shtml

Oh yeah, I forgot the titles went to Capitol a few years ago. We'll have to see what happens to the next titles. Maybe they will release them on Q8! :D

SACD, DVD-A who cares? Let's just bring them out.

More Pink Floyd titles in 5.1 (regardless of format) will be a welcomed addition by many. It will definetely provide more fuel for the hi-res formats in general.

I only ask that Guthrie get over his shyness about fully using the soundfield. When I got my DSOTM SACD disc and listened, I enjoyed the resolution immensely, but the use of surrounds was weaker than expected.

It's more of a super-stereo mix, save for the obvious moments like Money where elements are scattered around the room for impact.

It seems vague because the british Q8 DTS mix is so deliberate, especially on tracks like Us and Them that Alan Parsons crafted so carefully. Okay, we've been spoiled so the expectation level is different.

All the voices and saxaphone benefit from the mix, those background comments all seem louder and clearer than ever before. I'm glad that member's opinion was okayed!

DSOTM is such a lasting cultural touchstone we can re-visit it many times. I do hope the DVD-A surfaces with a stronger surround mix.

Back