HiRez Poll Knopfler, Mark - SAILING TO PHILADELPHIA [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Mark Knopfler - SAILING TO PHILADELPHIA

• Total voters
Found a sealed copy earlier this year for $9. I had heard some of the songs from a live recording of indefinite origin! As per usual, Mark Knopfler gets it done. Nothing like old Dire Straits, but that is not where he is now. Solid 9 for all around quality material and craftsmanship.

dang...$9?...NICE find!

I just picked this up sealed (black marker through UPC) for $8. It'll probably sit in my pile for awhile. Not a huge fan, but it came out when I worked in a record store and I remember one of my favorite regular customers recommending it highly. Glad I had this thread to read up first and corroborate -- and that I could get this affordably.

Last edited:
I just picked this up sealed (black marker through UPC) for $8. It'll probably sit in my pile for awhile. Not a huge fan, but it came out when I worked in a record store and I remember one of my favorite regular customers recommending it highly. Glad I had this thread to read up first and corroborate -- and that I could get this affordably.

Where did you find it for $8? I would definitely grab a copy!

Where did you find it for $8? I would definitely grab a copy!

I lucked out. Out walking, I stopped into my local independent used bookstore. They rarely have any multichannel stuff but after forty minutes of perusing (and talking with an employee) I started heading out. I nearly forgot to check their "new arrivals" but there it was, sitting on the top of a stack.

Only later did I realize how much of a deal did I get. Almost makes up for the times I paid premiums (I'm looking at you, Sea Change SACD purchased just months before the Blu-ray Pure Audio announcement!).

Last edited:
Well grats on your find. I saw it listed for sale once and was considerably more than your cost. Needless to say, if you would find another copy as such a great price, I woud gladly buy it from you, and pay to ship it. I never seem to have any luck stumbling upon deals lke that.

I like this album quite a bit. The music is great and the surround is really good also. The voice on this one is one of the best sounding i have heard. I vote 9.

Oh how I want this DVD-A! If anyone ever wants to get rid of theirs or has a lead on where to buy this, I'd give GOS's next pay check for it;)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00069A5GE/ref=tmm_acd_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=&sr=

The descriptions aren't great but I believe these are the two disc sets that include the DVD-A, kind of pricey! I'd confirm what the seller has though.

This is one of the first surround discs that I bought, back in 2011, new from Amazon at $18.73. I haven't voted on it yet but it will be on the high end. The mix is nice, maybe a little subtle for some, fine for me. The sonics are quite good and I enjoy the content, usually listen start to finish.

This disc really has very enjoyable tunes. And the surround mix is great also. Is a disc that you listen from start to finish, one track impressed me with the sound of like maracas.

This is one really relaxing album.
Mark knows how to lay down some fantastic tunes.
It took me a few years to finally lay my hands on this copy (so many are as rare as hens teeth these days).

It is so cool.
The mix is a little quiet but it suits what he is singing about.

Speeding its way to a 9

Very relaxing album. Arguably the best solo album from Mark Knopfler and has Dire Straits Signature. Great Surround overall.
What it is - Love the violin part on the rear. Love the part when it slows down in between and them slowly catches up to grand finale
Junkie Doll - Keyboards very good
Speedway - Great music perfect synchronization among musicians in second half
Many songs you would start to like even more after repeated listenings. Especially the slow burners like Wanderlust, Sands of Nevada, Prairie Wedding, El Macho etc.
Gave it a 10

Very relaxing album. Arguably the best solo album from Mark Knopfler and has Dire Straits Signature. Great Surround overall.

For me, I much prefer Shangri-La and also Get Lucky, but I can see why this disc was chosen for the surround treatment.

Back