Remaining Elton John 5.1 SACD Mixes, Will They Be Released?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The presence of these 4 titles does make sense, they did the complete first batch.
Just wonder why these 5.1 masters are sitting somewhere without a release. The EJ sacd had a good sale everywhere.

Well, there are a number of albums that were mixed to 4.0 Quad in the '70s or 5.1 Surround more recently that haven't seen the light of day.
I like the earlier suggestion about contacting Chad Kassem about a potential release. A very interesting idea !

Acoustic Sounds may be the best bet if we're ever going to see these get released. "Jimby" once said that there was still a chance they'd surface.

Of course, UMG could always do a $150 Deluxe Box Set of each album and include a Blu-Ray! :yikes

They're negotiating contracts with two Chinese factories to manufacture the essential scarves and marbles for those box sets as we speak...

Acoustic Sounds may be the best bet if we're ever going to see these get released. "Jimby" once said that there was still a chance they'd surface.

Of course, UMG could always do a $150 Deluxe Box Set of each album and include a Blu-Ray! :yikes

Don't suggest things like that!!! They don't need anymore encouragement!

I got a reply from Greg Penny! Here's what he wrote:

Thanks Ryan
Good spotting.
I agree with you that these albums should have come out.
Universal don't share our viewpoint, and have aggressively stopped supporting SACD, DVD-A and Blu-ray - at least in the case of Elton's classic album re releases.
I'm blue in the face trying to get them to see the merit.
Logic does not prevail in this instance. Elton's first set of 5.1 releases outsold every other artist, except maybe Dark Side Of The Moon.
There is an alternative in the works, so maybe someday soon you will see all the EJ titles that I have remixed in surround re released as discs and available for download, playable and burnable with an easy codec.
Thanks for tuning in.
Oh, those four albums sound incredible ! - and are ready to go.
Greg

They're negotiating contracts with two Chinese factories to manufacture the essential scarves and marbles for those box sets as we speak...

Sweet! I'm not a huge EJ fan, but I seem to have accidentally started collecting marbles and scarves.

I got a reply from Greg Penny! Here's what he wrote:

Thanks Ryan
Good spotting.
I agree with you that these albums should have come out.
Universal don't share our viewpoint, and have aggressively stopped supporting SACD, DVD-A and Blu-ray - at least in the case of Elton's classic album re releases.
I'm blue in the face trying to get them to see the merit.
Logic does not prevail in this instance. Elton's first set of 5.1 releases outsold every other artist, except maybe Dark Side Of The Moon.
There is an alternative in the works, so maybe someday soon you will see all the EJ titles that I have remixed in surround re released as discs and available for download, playable and burnable with an easy codec.
Thanks for tuning in.
Oh, those four albums sound incredible ! - and are ready to go.
Greg

that's great. should we ask him if he need any sort of our support? sort of previous action for the
lossless "Aqualung"disc.
also never been "die hard" fan but got all SACD, except "GYBR" which i did prefered in DVD-Audio format.
mr. Greg Penny did outstanding work on those albums in both - sonically and on surround mix.

Hope that "alternative" will shows up as soon as possible. Too many years wasted on waiting what was already done.

Good job, Ryan, getting to Greg Penny.

It's strange that UMG has recently released a 5.1 DVD-A and Blu-Ray by Rush, then the 3 Rush Boxes w/DVD-A's in them, yet they won't release these 4 titles with a built in market equal to or greater than the Rush market.

i got feeling that Neil Young is pretty much correct in his prediction about HiRes releases in 2012.
you guys just take a look back in 2011 and how many new and re-issued prints from pop genre
have came out in single year. albeit costly but seems sells very well. another good sign - the word
HiRes Surround become more common in music world and more artists shows their interest to it.
and that's all after the death of Surround format in music countless times was proclaimed by the
industry and mass media.

To have "Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player," "Caribou," "Rock of the Westies" and "Blue Moves" would complete most if not all the Elton John titles I would want, or at least was most interested in back in the day. I used to play the stereo records though the Quad Amp with interesting results.

Now if they want to do more titles in surround, I'll snag those too. I'm looking forward to what this "Big" announcement is.

I'll stand in line for those EJ titles.

To have "Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player," "Caribou," "Rock of the Westies" and "Blue Moves" would complete most if not all the Elton John titles I would want, or at least was most interested in back in the day. I used to play the stereo records though the Quad Amp with interesting results.

Now if they want to do more titles in surround, I'll snag those too. I'm looking forward to what this "Big" announcement is.

Greg did a great job on the 5.1 Elton John mixes. Heard his talk on them (and was able to hear them pre-SACD release) at one of the Surround Conferences and wrote it up for High Fidelity Review.

Lucky you. Do you have a link for that review (if there is a digital copy) ? I'd love to read it.

Back