Remaining Elton John 5.1 SACD Mixes, Will They Be Released?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A response from Acoustic Sounds/Analogue Productions regarding these EJ titles:

Thanks for your suggestions. All great titles, to be sure. While I can't promise you any specific titles - for a number of reasons, one being that it's not always possible to secure any given title - I can say that we plan to stay aggressive and continue to bring out very high quality, big-time titles on SACD.

Record companies, I think they operate in a different world to the rest of us. In the very early 90's, RCA issued Dolby Surround remixes of Tomita's celebrated 1970's releases. They issued five CD's in the series, which, when you stood them in your CD rack, spelled 'T-O-M-I-T' on the spine. Yes, that's right, they neglected to release the final CD (the 'A' of his name) in what you would presume was a series of six, rather than five! That last Tomita D.S. CD (presumably 1979's 'The Bermuda Triangle', if they were supposed to be in order) has never seen the light of day.

Last edited:
was just in an Elton mood and was wondering what the "other" 5.1 mix Greg Penny worked on, anybody have any info?

seeing as his site lists those already released plus Don't shoot me, Caribou, Westies and Blue Moves (GRR..! such a tease!)
I was always led to believe back in the day that Greg was also working on mixing something else by Elton, possibly a live disc like Here & There or Live in Australia. does that ring true to you or just some lovely fantasy I dreamed..!?

I see Universal are soon to be releasing a boxset of early EJ (stereo versions it seems, the 'Classic Album Selection' of Elton John, Tumbleweed Connection, Madman Across The Water, Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player and Honky Chateau) for a so-called Nice Price. Released on July 16, 2012.

So perhaps someone at Universal has their finger on the pulse, and will finally get the missing Greg Penny SACD's released. However, that may cost them more than the $2 its costing them to release this new boxset of stereo albums, so I'm not holding my breath...

Given the fact that The Doors, Pink Floyd, and Norah Jones have all used Acoustic Sounds to release SACDs this year, I don't understand why Universal can't do the same for Elton. I would buy those unreleased SACDs in a heartbeat for ANY price!

Also, what about Steely Dan? Weren't the rest of their albums supposed to be released on SACD after Gaucho? I know Aja's multitracks are missing, but they could release the other 5 albums, couldn't they?

I see Universal are soon to be releasing a boxset of early EJ (stereo versions it seems, the 'Classic Album Selection' of Elton John, Tumbleweed Connection, Madman Across The Water, Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player and Honky Chateau) for a so-called Nice Price. Released on July 16, 2012.

So perhaps someone at Universal has their finger on the pulse, and will finally get the missing Greg Penny SACD's released. However, that may cost them more than the $2 its costing them to release this new boxset of stereo albums, so I'm not holding my breath...

Are they really!? I wonder to what end they're putting that set out!?

Universal just keep rehashing all their Elton stuff, knowing that the fans will doubtless buy it all over again! So its just another cash cow, i suppose. A shame..

I know there was a Deluxe Edition of Madman supposedly on its way a couple of years ago, as a complete set of demos for the Madman album (previously thought never to exist) had been unearthed from the vaults.. but that never emerged, sadly :(

I'm not holding my breath either, I don't have much hope that anyone at Universal has their finger on the pulse, they're huge and getting bigger as they swallow all the other labels up, where's the incentive for them to work hard if they've no competition!?

Until they turn around and realise they're sitting on unreleased gems that enough people want.. which I don't see happening anytime soon.. those remaining Elton SACDs will just sit there in a drawer :(

Given the fact that The Doors, Pink Floyd, and Norah Jones have all used Acoustic Sounds to release SACDs this year, I don't understand why Universal can't do the same for Elton. I would buy those unreleased SACDs in a heartbeat for ANY price!

Also, what about Steely Dan? Weren't the rest of their albums supposed to be released on SACD after Gaucho? I know Aja's multitracks are missing, but they could release the other 5 albums, couldn't they?

very good point, well made! plus those Acoustic Sounds releases are all Multichannel SACDs, too!

I'd get every Elton and Steely Dan SACD any label were to release, if they were in Multichannel.. I adore both artists!

Re: Steely Dan, I'm pretty sure at the very least Pretzel Logic was remixed into 5.1 and is ready and waiting to be released.

Big Sigh! ahhhh.... :(

Dear Reginald Kenneth Dwight (formerly of Pinner),

Are those unreleased MC SACD's in your drawers, or are you just happy to see me?

Sincerely,
Linda (not the same one you were once engaged to),
Chicago Chic(k) and mega Elton John fan

HAHAHA!!
Oh Linda.. you are bloody hilarious!!

I went passed the flat in north London ("the little room downstairs" referenced in the lyrics to "Someone Saved My Life Tonight") and it reminded me of the story of Elton's fiancé Linda, who was heiress to a vegetable-pickling fortune, apparently.. who was very tall and towered over little "Reg" and used to beat him up!!

The crazy life of dear Reg.. you just could not make it up!!

Talking of EJ's drawers, I'll never forget the priceless moment when Paul McCartney was guest-hosting a Friday night chat show over here, called "TFI Friday" about 10-15 years ago and various celebrity friends of Paul's were phoning in and sending well-wishes, congratulating him on doing a great job hosting the show that night.. when a fax came in from Elton saying simply: "Dear Paul, How big's your c*ck? Love, Elton." :eek:

Back