DVD/DTS Poll Britney Spears - In The Zone [DD DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DualDisc of Britney Spears - IN THE ZONE

• Total voters
This is no longer a DVD-A. It has been reduced to Dolby Digital 5.1

Sony has taken it's evil hold on BMG!!!

I guess I will finally have to buy the DVD-A next time I see it.....

Let's see... I gave the DVD-A seven points... Dolby Digital delivery on this title means automatic two point reduction... Five points total.

Cai Campbell said:
Let's see... I gave the DVD-A seven points... Dolby Digital delivery on this title means automatic two point reduction... Five points total.
Being that this is a non-hi-res area, I don't see your issues.
Kind of like the nuts who take points off a DVD-A because it's not SACD, (and visa-versa).

ThomC said:
Being that this is a non-hi-res area, I don't see your issues.
Kind of like the nuts who take points off a DVD-A because it's not SACD, (and visa-versa).

Call it principal, sour grapes, or whatever. That's my policy and I'm sticking to it. You can always add back the two points and recompute the average if you do not agree. At least there is a method to my madness and I'm not hiding it (unlike some of the covert subterfuge that has gone on in some of the other polls). If I were "nuts" I'd just vote one on all Dolby Digital DumbDisc releases and be done with it. This way I remain objective while still showing my distaste for the format.

Dolby Digital as a surround-sound music format is an insult. :mad:

JonUrban said:
I guess I will finally have to buy the DVD-A next time I see it.....

You'll only regret it a little, my friend....:D;)

Haven't dared pick up the DD of this one yet, so I can't rate it....but can't imagine there being much reason to, either, given that, whatever one wishes to think of the music, the DVD-A is a serious butt-kicker, and whoever mixed the beast had a great ol' time doing it, made me wish more vintage stuff were mixed with such insolence.....:banana:

ED

Well I would not call the DD version a butt kicker. There is very side little activity and what there is sounds like a wrap around job (I had to check that I was in 5.1 DD and not stereo). The bass is nothing special either. and the music.........Can only give this a 5.

I would be interested to see if this is the same mix as the DVD A.

You need to find the DVD-A. One of my all-time faves!!!

I searched and searched for the DVDA for years, to no avail.. I've now given up hope!

I did, however, happen upon a very helpful blog some time ago.. and a quick search and a link or two later.. and what do you know there it was in a handy little rip..!! ;)

I'm guessing that the DVD-A version of this is long out of print.

But you can get it on eBay in DVD-A for $168. See http://compare.ebay.com/like/300707516958?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y

ouch! I've paid over the odds for all sorts of stuff before but I think at this point I'd only throw down $168 for the unreleased Elton SACDs or something along those lines..!!

the DTS rip i found is more than good enough for me until one comes up at a sensible price.. but sincerely thank you for finding that all the same.

has anybody ever come up with a definitive answer as to why the DVD-A and DualDisc of this one sound so different in 5.1?

are they different mixes?

has the DualDisc had its fronts level-boosted way out of proportion to the rears, even though its the same surround mix? (its happened before on DualDisc).

I'm not technical enough to know through computer analysis or whatever but I just compared these two and to my ears on my system they're night and day! The DVD-A has much more rear activity than the DualDisc (master volume and individual channel volumes are left identical etc.).

"Toxic" for example has the "synth strings" hook discrete & full in the rears on the DVD-A, whereas on the DualDisc it sounds as if they're all upfront with just a muted reverb of them in the rears.

would Sony/BMG really have gone to the trouble/expense of remixing it all over again for DualDisc? or did something go wrong in the mastering/authoring of the 5.1 for DualDisc? :mad:@:

Back