Interesting quote from David Gilmour re: DSotM

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepsky4565

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Quote:
Not that some Floyd work won't be happening. The live Pulse album is coming out in a 5.1 Surround Sound DVD mix, and the band is about to jump into remixing their classic Dark Side of the Moon album in 5.1 sound.

"We've got a quad mix that Alan Parsons did back in '73," he says. "It's not quite as good as what I would want."

So odds are the band will go back and do a full remix from scratch, which creates another bonus. Because of limitations of the day, every format of Dark Side has not been off the master tapes; the 16-track backing tracks were always at least a generation removed and altered.

"We can go back one stage and do a remix from the very original masters," Gilmour says. "We can have a 5.1 that intrinsically is better than anything out there."

Dan in Spokane

Potentially good news but I am really getting sick of buying new formats of the same thing over and over again. The life of an audiophile is very expensive. If another one came out though I would hop on the bandwagon as usual. Sigh. :D

It worked so well for Tubular Bells, they used the four track discrete quad downmix, which had been preserved on Ampex instrumentation tape. It needed practically no clean up whatsoever, just encoded to SACD and there you go. And it sounds wonderful. Similar tapes from the same (boxed) session exist for Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn, let's hope they following the same simple (but effective!) mastering proceedure for those should they decide to release those.

Now, to get back on topic, Erm, can we do the same with the Alan Parsons mix of DSOTM? <please?>. :cool:

Back