HiRez Poll Big Phat Band - SWINGING FOR THE FENCES [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Big Phat Band - SWINGING FOR THE FENCES

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and/or comments on this disc (y) :phones (n)

First let me say i am not a big jazz fan, but i do have a few jazz titles that i love. This is a fantastic find. I don't like most big band music, but this is so well done, i just can't help but like it. The sourround is just fantastic, you will probably check the cover to make sure that it was in fact made by Silverline, it is just great. Full use of all the speakers, couldn't ask for better. The music is very good also, but i find a bit intense, but that is probably just me. I really like the drumming, it really punches. So over all i gotta go with a 10. :)

This is a fine album of Big Band music that swings. The extras content is worthwhile and could be used as a model of just what can be done with a DVD-A. Highly recommended.

This disc kicks phucking ass!

Big Phat Band - "Swingin' For The Fences" is a surround-sound jazz-swing masterpiece by every estimation. It just boggles my mind that Silverline was able to pull this one out of their, er, "hat".

This one truly deserves Silverline's much abused tag line "Stunning 5.1 surround sound". The music, sound quality, performance and surround mix are all superb. This dics simply swings like there is no tomorrow.

Highly recommended!

I like it a lot. Great playing, 9. Great interviews with the musicians,producers & mixers. I will mark it down for a lack of LFE but the punch and air come back when i by-pass the bass managment and run the Sub from my fronts. (surrounds & centre set to small). Another stange thing about this is that
the mixer Gary Lux from Silverline states in the interview that this was done at a sampling rate of 96/24 but my player tells me its only 5.1ch 48/24. I have the Dual Disc version. Is there a DVD-A only version?. I'm confused..........again.:mad:@:

Looks like I've ordered the wrong one.:mad: Oh well it had to happen sometime. I must be more carefull:eek: . This one still sounds good enough to keep but I may just have to go and get XXL now in full DVD -A. Thanks guys for info.

Dumb Q, but do you have a DVD-Audio player? Reason I ask is my understanding is that the DualDisc does include the DVD-A content on the DVD side, like the other Silverline DualDisc ports from their previous DVD-A releases (The Mavericks, Jane Monheit, etc).

Good mix, great performance, great xtras, but XXL blows this one away, sonically, IMHO. Here's my interview with Gordon Goodwin - along with Gary Lux, the gent who mixed these two titles. It didn't make my column, but my chat with Gary went into my preference for the XXL surround mix, and IIRC he said Swinging was his first 5.1 mix (Swinging was the first commercially available DVD-A) and he learned a lot about mixing to 5.1 between the two releases. I think he did a helluva job for a first-timer!

MOD NOTE:
Links were removed because post is old and a member reported malware. If this is in error, please contact the staff. Thanks.

Dumb Q, but do you have a DVD-Audio player? Reason I ask is my understanding is that the DualDisc does include the DVD-A content on the DVD side, like the other Silverline DualDisc ports from their previous DVD-A releases (The Mavericks, Jane Monheit, etc).

He is saying it is DVD-A but at 24 bit/48kHz. I haven't noticed Silverline doing this but the limited DVD side capacity of DualDisc may have required it on that one. I think my Silverline DualDisc DVD-A's are all identical to the straight DVD-A, but I may be wrong. I have a player that shows sample rate, but I rarely use it.

Chris

This disc kicks phucking ass!

Big Phat Band - "Swingin' For The Fences" is a surround-sound jazz-swing masterpiece by every estimation. It just boggles my mind that Silverline was able to pull this one out of their, er, "hat".

This one truly deserves Silverline's much abused tag line "Stunning 5.1 surround sound". The music, sound quality, performance and surround mix are all superb. This dics simply swings like there is no tomorrow.

Highly recommended!

That says it all :D and goes for all 3 surround discs by the BFB ;)

I can't imagine big band jazz in surround being much better than this. (Granted, I don't yet have XXL, so I may be pleasantly surprised.) A thoroughly enjoyable disc that gets spun fairly often around here.

Mark Z

Phuquing phantastic! I love this site! I recently joined because I fell in love with surround about a year ago and found this site when looking for reviews of a disc I was interested in. Looking through the surround polls, I found a listing for this disc, so I went to this page. The feedback I found here piqued my interest, so when I saw the disc, new, for $1.99 on amazon, I couldn't resist (the shipping was double the price of the disc, but still well worth it!). My first observation is I'm intrigued by all that is going on with the DVD-A format! For a disc put out 18 years ago, it makes more use of the format than anything I own in DVD-A! And thanks to the link Felix E. Martinez provided, it looks as iph Phat Phans can phind even more phun extras on the next release, XXL. Gordon Goodwin sounds as if he is having a real gas with this one; he wrote all of the tunes (well, co-wrote one with Bach!) and delivers some tasty piano solos in addition to his work on soprano and alto sax. Lots of great solos throughout; the "liner notes" that play on screen let listeners know who is playing what when. The music is lively and makes fairly good use of the surround technology. Although this is not the type of jazz I would normally listen to (I'm more into Coltrane and I wrote about my love of the new quad release of Bitches Brew), it's off the chain: tight like that and mad swingin' and hella phun! So glad to have stumbled on this site and found this particular thread. If I could only find the other surround mixes priced as inexpensively as this! Damn! Arturo Sandoval is blowing through his second solo as I finish this review. Score this disc if you can--the musicians are having a helluva a time and really playing to their potentials.

Phuquing phantastic! I love this site! I recently joined because I fell in love with surround about a year ago and found this site when looking for reviews of a disc I was interested in. Looking through the surround polls, I found a listing for this disc, so I went to this page. The feedback I found here piqued my interest, so when I saw the disc, new, for $1.99 on amazon, I couldn't resist.

Yes indeed! I doubt I ever would have discovered this terrific disc (and many other beauties) without this forum. I'm in the middle of my first listen and loving it.

Back