HiRez Poll Nine Inch Nails - WITH TEETH [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Nine Inch Nails - WITH TEETH

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments! (y) :phones (n)

Attachments

• nin2.jpg
    nin2.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 509
I LOVE this disc!!!

Some might say this is just more of the same old NIN. It certainly does sound like good ol' Trent back for another round. But if you liked "The Downward Spiral" I would recommend that you pick this one up. The mix has the same kind of elements in that you may not notice that there is anything in the rears (they are used sparingly in some songs) but then things can be heard almost out of nowhere that make this recording have a really great 3D sound. In a couple of tracks guitars and keyboards swirl around you but not in a gimmicky way. Also there is a nice use of surround vocals as kind of a subliminal effect.

The 5.1 track is 48/24 and the stereo is 96/24

There is one video for "the Hand That Feeds" in your choice of Surround or stereo (Dolby Digital 5.1) and a full discography with some snippets of key songs from earlier NIN albums.

This disc has really great sound and overall I would give it a 9.

Key tracks for me are:
All The Love In The World
The Hand That Feeds
Every Day Is Exactly The Same

BTW... This sounds incredible in the Acura!!!

Last edited:
Thanks Bob. Is it as cold and metallic as Spiral or is there more warmth to it? Mine comes next week.

daved64 said:
Thanks Bob. Is it as cold and metallic as Spiral or is there more warmth to it? Mine comes next week.

You can't get much colder or metallic then the Downward Spiral. This definitely has more warmth than that.

Trent did a great job on the surround mix as well.

The album over all is his most Guitar oriented. Sounds great to me. Definitely more warmth and presence than the Downward Spiral. TDS was tracked on Pro Tools III hardware @ 16/44.1 With Teeth's higher resolution sounds more musical and pleasant on the ears. The surround mix is well done too. The percussion is very aggressive at times. I had to turn it down since it was rattling the floor on a couple tracks. Musically though there's nothing really ground breaking or conceptual like his last 2. "The Hand That Feeds" will surely be a dance floor his. If I were still DJing I'd give it heavy rotation.

tlake6659 said:
You can't get much colder or metallic then the Downward Spiral. This definitely has more warmth than that.

Trent did a great job on the surround mix as well.
Agreed... I would say that a couple of tracks have dark but almost pretty basslines and chord progressions. All The Love In The World and Every Day Is Exactly the Same are two examples.

The more I listen to this disc, which I have played constantly since Tuesday, the more I like it and especially the surround mix.

I gave this one an 8..

Another disc that I bought only because it's a 5.1 mix..

They are a group that I do like the guitar sound but am turned off by the screaming vocals - heck even I can scream..

Musically I prefer this one over DS mostly because there's less screaming..:)

Surround mix ranges from plain ambiance to some really cool stuff back there and nicely done to boot..

very good SQ - so happy to get the DVD-A version on a Dualdisc, I could care less it's not sacd..

I am really enjoying this disc! I read somewhere that Trent was going for a lo-fi presentation but I don't buy that. The sound quality of this disc is great! Yeah, there's the trademark NIN distortion, but the individual instruments sound nice and clear. Perhaps it has more to do with the mix. Whatever the case, its a brilliant-sounding recording. The songs are a tad less agressive than what is common for NIN, and it is a welcome change of pace. This is a very welcome addition to the NIN catalog. With that said, I still do not think it as strong an offering of "Pretty Hate Machine" or "The Downward Spiral". It is still a strong contender and the surround mix is very well realized (although it could be a bit more aggressive for my personal tastes). All in all a strong 8 points here.

This one is so much more accessible than "Spiral". Maybe not as memorable, but certainly less noisy. Great mix. I like mixes like this where there isn't ALWAYS something going on in the rears, and then you get some nice 360's or sudden jolts. Dave Grohl's presence is felt as there's some great drumming. Man, Trent loves butt kicking bass! Give it an 8.

I bought this in the store the week it came out. I've still not opened it.

It's about time.

A good mix by Trent again , although i will have to go for an 8 on this album . For some reason the 5.1 mix just does't "do it" for me as much as Downward Spiral . Having heard TDS several times before receiving With Teeth , he just out-did himself on TDS , by turning an already classic into a futuristic gem for newer generations .

Still , With Teeth has a more "club" feeling to it and more keyboards to it , thus making the surround mix more easy to digest . The .1 has some good moments especially on Hand That Feeds and Every Day ...

I hope it doest take Trent another 5 years to release another album .

Agreed that this sounds less cold/harsh/digital than "The Downward Spiral" did. I'm not the biggest NIN fan, but I like "With Teeth"!

I LOVE this album. Wow. I have this on DVD-A and vinyl. The vinyl is cool because it has a bonus track, but the surround sound mix beats it for clarity. Unbelievable. Trent Reznor still has it. Now if only he'd release The Fragile in surround sound. Ah, dreams... :) I give With Teeth a 10.

great album... theres minor things i feel the 5.1 is missing .. but still very solid.. i believe fragile is getting dvd-a/sacd makeover as its interscope... PHM is not as rkyodisc REFUSED to pay for his work on that project. ...9

in addition i saw these guys 4 times in 05 so that could skew my hi rez expectations of this

zabble said:
I bought this in the store the week it came out. I've still not opened it.

It's about time.
Same here. I guess it's been a year now.

Wow this disc is pretty underrated here going by the votes...

I love this disc and the mix is VERY well done, sound quality is also superb with ass-kicking bass in most of the songs. The more I listen the more I like... and I liked it immediately. I like this one as much as TDS SACD.

Give us more, Trent!

10. (y)

Trent Reznor was likely genetically engineered for people who like 5.1 mixes. From Day 1, his albums have just begged to be mixed into surround - and I hope he releases them all this way.

With Teeth is what most fans will agree to be the last truly inspired NIN album. Subsequent releases have been above par, but not of this caliber. And in 5.1, it really shines. I think it towers over the 5.1 release of The Downward Spiral, which is laden with mid-range carnage. This album contains two big singles, Only and The Hand That Feeds, but the real treats in the 5.1 playlist are the deeper cuts. The meaty, low explosive chorus in You Know What You Are?, or the beautiful and maddening drone of Beside You In Time which leads into the surreal and heartbreaking Right Where It Belongs...these are examples of where Reznor shines in surround.

As is the case with TDS, the menues are simple and effective. With Teeth contains the video for The Hand That Feeds which can be viewed with the 5.1 surround mix. All in all, a great disc. Got lucky and found one of these on Discogs, used, for like $9. Would've paid three times that. Gave it a 10.

I would LOVE this to be remastered for SACD! The mastering is horrendous.

Back