TO ME

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Solar

Just went to the store picked up the Hybrid Police SACD for $19CDN or $12US. Played it in my car on the way home, the new mastering sounded great. Now I am playing the Multi channel mix. By the way DVD-AUDIO IS DEAD!

All it has been reduced to is
"Is ______ still coming out" or "whatever happened to the release of _______ " at best "I heard _______ is going to be released" But never " _______ just came out today"

The Police's catalogue doesn't matter to me, glad you're enjoying it though Solar. There's a band that's yet to announce their plans in the hi-rez format field that, I believe could make or break a format. They did it for CD and I think they'd have an impact which ever way they choose to go. Please Please Me woo yeah!

True, we're waiting on some fresh announcements, but honestly SACD announcements are nowhere near what they ought to be. And how many are mere stereo that can be flooded into the market quickly? True surround product takes time and money.

You'd do well to remember that the market potential for DVD-A helped SACD come into existence! If DVD-A didn't get this far along, Sony would not have the confidence to be doing what it is today. You'd see far fewer titles. Competition is good. Now get Sony to deliver on the hybrid promise, eh?

Time will tell. There are still 13 days in March...

My last 4 SACD's
Police Multi-channel Hybrid priced $19 CDN
Vivaldi La Stravaganza 2 disc set priced as one disc $20 CDN Hybrid multi-channel
Beck Multi-channel $17 CDN
Groove Armada Multi-channel $15 US + S&H
Yea DVD-A was the multi channel king, did the ground work, now roll over and play dead.
My last DVD-A Hotel California $29CDN

Price
Selection
Ability to be both the CD and SACD release (Stones)

A stereo only release is still better than a Silverline release
Do you think I'm looking on the Dark Side

I knew abut solar flares but I didn't know Solarfarts existed as well.

You're just a troll who confuses dsd noise with fidelity.
Go away.

Alright Solar, that's enough. The format wars have no place on this board. They only serve to fester negativity.

Since this thread seems to be more about the SACD than DVD-A, I've moved it to the appropriate section.

Alright, now, in trying to keep the discussion on a more positive track, Solar, can you give us a review of the Groove Armada M/C SACD? Also, where the heck did you find it for $15.00? I ended up shelling out $25.00 for that sucker as an import, and them's US dollars! I still haven't received the disc but am really looking forward to it.

Yea your right I had a secret hope some industry people might see how pissed off the DVD-Audio fans are. I hoped they might see how a CD layer and lower prices might help out. Or most of all I wanted people to agree with me about how the lack of releases might kill the format. I did not want it to turn into "MY format right or wrong". It really has no place here for SACD fans though. Their format shows signs of life.

Oh yea have to thank E-Bay for that one. It's in the mail from England now. Speaking of E-bay there are a few Dark Side Of The Moon discs up even thought it's not out yet.

It was only two years ago that SACD seemed to be on the ropes in the multichannel field. It was hard to determine which discs were surround by looking at the packages, there were few such releases, and the players were quite costly, let alone an absence of advertising. DVD player sales were exploding (mostly the non-Meridian), and the discs were getting some promotion. When the rumored "relaunch" of DVD-audio happens (this year?) with the release of some long-awaited discs, and some actual large-scale promotion, we may see some competition on levels unseen since "creamy" and "chunky".

Yea just got Goodbye County in the mail today. Sounds great so far. I love the fact that it's a Hybrid as it's the only copy I have of this Title.

I hope that both formats will survive. That's the reason I acquired the ability to play both of them. Currently I have about as many DVD-A discs as I have SACD. Everytime I go to BestBuy I usually end up leaving with a DVD-A and a SACD disc. I agree that the Police EBUT sounds fantastic. So open and detailed. However, the last DVD-A disc I bought was Zephr - Voices Unbound and in my opinion it is the best recorded hi-rez disc available currently. On April 1st there is Dark Side Of The Moon on SACD and Trapeze by Tom Cochrane on DVD-A. I intend on picking both of those up.

Now I understand your intentions.

My price / availaibility experience down here is quite the opposite. The majority of WEA DVD-A titles can be had for $13.49-$15.00 US whereas the SACD multi-channels are $18.19 - $22.49 US.

I have 28 DVD-As and only 5 SACD MC discs (none hybrid) for this reason and I refuse to support stereo SACDs, especially the ones that aren't even hybrid.

DVD-A title announcements are overdue; they must be working hard to get the new campaign (DVD Extra w/CD layer) ready.

CDs are pretty dead, value wise so re-tooling with DVD-A or SACD is the way to go. Right, record labels?

In Canada SACD's and DVD-A's are about the same price with SACD's possibly being a bit lower. $19.00 for the Police is the lowest I have paid for either format. I do not have any SACD Stereo only discs other than for a few Rolling Stones titles. I have about 70 discs with about a third being MC SACD's and the rest DVD-A as I had the DVD-A capability about 6 months before the SACD capability. I do not intend on buying anymore stereo only SACD's as well. The Stones are alright but all my MC discs blow them away. I have not bought a CD for over 6 months, nor do I intend to buy anymore either. In fact I may sell all 500 of them for cash to get somemore surround titles.

I love both formats and if a third came out would buy into it as well, not being of sound mind. It is the multi channel part I love first. But the HI Res sound is in my blood now. I wish there was a big battle for titles and lots of new releases. As for price here in Western Canada they are very close for the most part. but when I picked up beck for 16.99 I was shocked. It was priced at 20.99 but was on sale when they ran it through. But at the same time Tubular bells is priced at $36. So SACD has the highs and lows here.

Back