Quad LP/Tape Poll Nilsson, Harry: Nilsson Schmilsson [CD-4/Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Nilsson Schmilsson"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
After years of sporadic success, teaming with producer Richard Perry paid off for ol' Harry: big hit album, three Top 40(and a #1)single...not bad! :banana: And RCA was nice enough to put it in Quad for us! :sun:smokin

Side 1:

1. Gotta Get Up
2. Driving Along
3. Early In The Morning
4. The Moonbeam Song
5. Down
6. Without You

Side 2:

1. Coconut
2. Let The Good Times Roll
3. Jump Into The Fire
4. I'll Never Leave You

Attachments

• Nilsson Quad.JPG
    Nilsson Quad.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,006
Last edited:
Great quad, a 10. Love the drums on Jump Into The Fire. The album was a 10 for me before i heard it in quad, and its even better in quad {of course}. :)

:flame "Jump Into the Fire" is a great song to show what quad records and equipment are capable of. I love to play ye olde stereo version first, then the quad blows them away. Shiver me timbers!!:p Aquadad

Bought the Q8 for the hits, enjoyed the rest of the album. Wasn't this the album that George Harrison helped out on? (can't fit too many liner notes on a Q8 label)

dauQula said:
Bought the Q8 for the hits, enjoyed the rest of the album. Wasn't this the album that George Harrison helped out on? (can't fit too many liner notes on a Q8 label)

Here's the liner notes in both stereo and quad. Note: They put "Without You" on side one of the quad album. I never realized that Gary Wright "Dream Weaver" was on this album. Not George Harrison though. Nilsson did collaborate with Ringo on "The Point" & "Son Of Dracula soundtrack" and John Lennon on "Pussy Cats".

Aquadad

Attachments

• File0099.jpg
    File0099.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 950
  • File0100.jpg
    File0100.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 887
Last edited:
aquadad said:
Here's the liner notes in both stereo and quad. Note: They put "Without You" on side one of the quad album. I never realized that Gary Wright "Dream Weaver" was on this album. Not George Harrison though. Nilsson did collaborate with Ringo on "The Point" & "Son Of Dracula soundtrack" and John Lennon on "Pussy Cats".

Aquadad

I think you are thinking of John Lennon - he and Harry were tight in the NYC period. John apparently hung out with Harry alot when Yoko tossed him out. It was during this time that John got into releasing old material, like the 'Rock and Roll' album. He and Harry worked together quite a bit.
This is probably the best album to come out of those years from either, although I love those lesser known Lennon works too.
And that mix -- Oh yeah!!!
Marc

One of my favorite Quad Lp's...a '10' for sure, and would be worth it just for "Jump Into The Fire" but all cuts have very creative and sensible mixes....a keeper!

ED

OK, so it's been over 2 years since the last post. :D I just got this record.

It is a fantastic Quadradisc and it is kind of sad at the same time as being astounding that that wonderful drumming on "Jump Into the Fire" was performed by Jim Gordon who, in the early '80s, tragically murdered his own mother as a result of psychosis.

He was known as the "Human metronome"

Doug

Had this first on Q8. Then, when it came out on CD-4, I got a promo. Thanks, RCA! All 10's on this. One of my 10 fave Quads. It just doesn't get much better.

Linda Schminda

It is a fantastic Quadradisc and it is kind of sad at the same time as being astounding that that wonderful drumming on "Jump Into the Fire" was performed by Jim Gordon who, in the early '80s, tragically murdered his own mother as a result of psychosis.

Doug

Doug

I guess he's out of jail by now. How's his career coming along?

He's not in prison. He was commited to an Asylum (and NOT the Vinyl Asylum) and is still there to this day.

He accepted what he had done and that it was wrong long ago.

Doug

Liked the album, but was disappointed with the way some tunes were approached on the quad release - most notably "Down" on the Q8. All RCA did was delay the stereo mix and throw it in the back causing the song to loose much of it's punch IMO. The rest was great.

"Jump Into The Fire" is even more maniacal and wild in quad than it was in stereo...but even with the more conservative, original mix, surprising it even cracked the Top 40, given how eclectic it was, even for ol' Harry. Great quad demo cut, of course!

ED :)

I own six copies of Schmilsson. CD-4/Q8 are the only two that are alike. Each CD has different bonus tracks. The MoFi Gold CD has a unique intro on Jump Into the Fire. I used that track for a CD-4 demo back in the day. All the schmendricks and schmucks loved it.

Linda

I'm the odd man out on this one as far as Jump Into the Fire. I much prefer the stereo drum break to the quad. I can't put it into words well, but the quad just sounds like continuous 16th notes (or would that be 64th notes in quad?) while the stereo actually sounds like a drum solo with different beats being accented to create an interesting pattern to the solo. Still a favorite Nilsson album though.

Note: George Harrison was on Son of Schmilsson - someone asked and I don't remember who. Ringo was on that one too.

Another solid "10" here. A great album from start to finish. Now that I've got my CD-4 unit fine tuned, the quad mix really blew my mind!

Back