HiRez Poll Porcupine Tree - DEADWING [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Porcupine Tree - DEADWING

• Total voters
Just got the mail from play.com.
It's on the way at last, for £11.99 too. HMV were asking £22.99. Go figure.
Back with a full review in the next couple of days.

peterzach said:
What has been said is correct. This is a awesome cd and fantastic surround mix. It is very much like listening to a modern "Dark Side of the Moon'.
That is what was running thru my mind.
Wow. What a great disc. I can't say enough. I know In Absentia casts a big shadow, but I will give this a 10. It beats In Absentia in the sonics department because there is absolutely NO shrill high end. IA suffered from some inconsistent sound (mainly due to it being done in different studios at different times). This one is clean, warm and can be blasted and retain it's clarity.

Elliot Scheiner is a genius. I LOVE how he uses the rear phantom center, right behind your head! Gives me goosebumps!

10 10 10 10 10 10 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greetings all,
I have a new DID for my collection! Cant stop playing it over and over. Personal standouts to me are "Glass arm shattering", "Open car", "Mellotron scratch", aaaaaaaaand the remake of "She's moved on".
Im losing my hearing though because you simply cant help but crank the volume.
:banana: 10101010101010101010101010101010101010ssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana:

The more I listen to this the more trouble I am having picking out favourites. It is all consistently fantastic including the 4 bonus tracks. Can't wait for BIA to be delivered next week. And they say hi-rez surround is dying? Couldn't prove that over the past few weeks.

After having run through this one several times since I got delivery, I have only one bad thing to say about the whole thing that actually matters, and the only reason it gets a 9 instead of a 10 from me is the ridiculous "easter egg" way of including Shesmovedon. The other thing is the 3 "bonus" tracks will not play after the main album, they have to be navigated to using a menu, which is again a bit odd in a music disc.

Why? I'm sorry, but I do not understand this in a music album. Okay on a video, or a game, but as has already been pointed out before, this is supposed to be a music disc and not a quiz. To my way of thinking, all this shows is that the menu designer wanted to show that they too are "creative" in some manner. Either the track is there to be played, or it is not. When making these records, I personally want to put the thing in the player, hit play, and hear the whole album from start to finish. Including the bonus tracks.

One more minor grump, just to get it out of the way, why oh why is it in a standard CD box??

Now to the good points.
The surround mix, as expected after "In Absentia", is stunning. No other word for it at all. I still have not played the stereo version yet, as I don't want to have the familiar "where did all my sound go?" feeling. I guess I should hear the stereo as reading the liner notes I get the impression that Steve did the stereo mix, and the Surround mix was done by Elliot.
For me, I was grabbed from track 1, and not let go until the end of Glass Arm Shattering. Wonderful stuff - and would have been even better if the other 4 tracks played automatically too.
The snare sound is amongst the best I have heard. I thought it was good on the previous album, but it is even better here. The whole mix is so open - making full use of the surrounds - and best of all it is sufficiently wide enough (but not too wide) for there to be a large sweet spot - one of the big arguments I keep reading about MC at "the other place" is that the sweet spot" is too narrow. Well not here it isn't.

All in all, this is surround mixing and production at it's finest.
Those who have not yet bought it, there is but one acceptable excuse - out of stock in your local supplier.
Nothing else is acceptable.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

(Jon - can we have a mini dancing banana, so we can have 5.1 dancing bananas?)

Guys, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the bonus tracks on In Absentia have to be accessed separately as well????

I'm not sure how I didn't pick this up but I ordered the Special Edition 2 disc from DTS and kinda got really screwed.
Not only did it cost me $30 US but UPS dinged me another $28 CDN upon delivery so the whole thing cost me about $70 CDN. Now the real f**k up on my part - the SE second disc is a DTS disc and not DVD-A!
Now I have to buy the DVD-A as well - I am expecting a personal thank you from the band at this point...LOL
That being said, this is a tremendous album and after 3 complete listens I think it is stronger than In Absentia in both sonics and material. I really love the 3 marathon tracks that all clock in at 10+ minutes.
Fantastic stuff! A definite 10! :sun

The 3 bonus tracks are around 10 minutes in total, not each.
Still think they should simply follow on from the main album.

neil wilkes said:
The 3 bonus tracks are around 10 minutes in total, not each.
Still think they should simply follow on from the main album.

I completely agree. It is annoying to have to go through the gymnastics in order to access the bonus material. As you've already said, a music title should play all music content from start to finish without further involvement by the user. Bonus videos are another thing, but I shouldn't have to futz around in order to listen to all the music.

All-in-all a very minor complaint and not one that I would dock any points for, especially considering how awesome this title is. I've listened to it three times now and it still makes me stop and go "wow".

OK...someone please discribe the sound/style of Porcupine Tree? I have never heard a note. Since this is a "high" priced disc I'd rather not buy it blindly.
Thanks

Last edited:
After all the anticipation expressed on the QQ forums I was afraid of being dissappointed, but this is like reading a good book that you wish would never end. Fantastic. Only complaint has already been mentioned - - should have just tacked on the bonus tracks automatically the way they did on In Absentia. Also, is it possible to see the lyrics while the music is playing? It appears to be an either/or proposition.

This is not bad and as a resurgent concept album it is recommendable. Now if only Frances the Mute by Mars Volta was available in surround.

Well, I get the idea!
I am new to this site and this is my first reply.

I have often said that In Abstentia was one of the best DVD-A's that I owned. With the help of the members on this site, I have no reservations about ordering Dead Wing.

Thanks for all of the input. I feel that I have just met a part of my musical family that I never knew!

Looking forward to many shared thoughts and discussions.

btw, saw them the other night in San Francisco - very good show. I'd come in a little late and happened to ask the guy next to me what the first song was (to make sure I hadn't missed anything - I hadn't) and it turned out to be YmSeb. You just never know if the person next to you is a QQ member!

daved64 said:
Dare I say I am enjoying DW more than IA!?!?!

I would have to agree...DW just feels more "epic" and has more depth. I love the fact that 3 of the tracks are of "prog rock" length - it is something you just don't hear anymore in music...
As for the inclusion of extra tracks to run automatic - they were not included as part of the whole originally so (IMHO) I don't feel they should just "tack on". Obviously PT didn't feel they suited the vibe so they were left off. There was certainly room on the original CD for them which would lead me to believe that they are not really part of DW per se.
Several QQ'ers have referred to DW as a "concept album" - anyone got any ideas on what that concept is?

Oh and "BATMAN BEGINS" RULES THE CINEMA UNIVERSE!!!
:D
/\/\

Back