HiRez Poll Porcupine Tree - DEADWING [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Porcupine Tree - DEADWING

• Total voters
I probably should not even be commenting but..............

It is impossible to rate this on the scale provided since it conflates technical and musical content. I'd give this a 9-10 for the former and a 2 for the latter. After all, the two parameters rarely track each other.

Kal

Kal Rubinson said:
It is impossible to rate this on the scale provided since it conflates technical and musical content. I'd give this a 9-10 for the former and a 2 for the latter. After all, the two parameters rarely track each other.
We do what we can with the resources available. The poll feature of vBulletin software does not allow for multiple scores for a single item. We could have two separate threads/polls for each title: one technical and one musical, but that's more than a bit cumbersome. We could also just scrap the musical component but that's a bit like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Or we could find a compromise that lets a single score represent both variables. Oh, wait, that's what we did.

My suggestion: take the average between your two scores, in which case you can rate DW six points. Also, it's usually a good idea to qualify your score after voting by posting a message. That provides more value than the score itself.

Finally, it is ALWAYS a good idea to remember that this isn't some science experiment using concrete statistical methods; IT'S JUST FOR FUN!

:banana:

Kal,

I like to think of it as:

30% Mix - How's the surround?
30% Sound Quality - Does it SOUND good, compressed, noisy, too loud, too bright
30% Content - Do you like the content? Does it suck (to you).
10% Free points - How is the overall presentation?

Trust me, if vBulliten allowed a way to keep these seperate, I would use it.

JonUrban said:
Kal,

I like to think of it as:
30% Mix - How's the surround?
30% Sound Quality - Does it SOUND good, compressed, noisy, too loud, too bright
30% Content - Do you like the content? Does it suck (to you).
10% Free points - How is the overall presentation?

Trust me, if vBulliten allowed a way to keep these seperate, I would use it.

That seems reasonable except that I can accept less than superb mix and sound quality if the music is appealing but no technical success can make bad music palatable. If the music isn't worth it, the rest doesn't matter.

Kal

Kal Rubinson said:
If the music isn't worth it, the rest doesn't matter.
You got that right, Buster!

(said in my best Boris Badenov impersonation)

Use your own voting criteria, come up with a number, vote, then qualify yourself. It's that simple.

Cai Campbell said:
You got that right, Buster!
(said in my best Boris Badenov impersonation)

Use your own voting criteria, come up with a number, vote, then qualify yourself. It's that simple.

I'd rather vote twice!

Kal

Like most people i had listened to the original stereo mix before hand . Although i was almost sure that Steven would do another mindblowing job on this ... how can one forget last year's mix of "In Absentia" !

So i received this the other week and at first was scared that they sent me the wrong version ! Looking at the packaging at first it looks like the ordinary stereo CD . I guess DTS Ent. decided to go with the typical CD jewel casing instead of the (complex) DVD-A case .

All worries were lost though once the disc was in the player ! :D The mix is fabulous . I might even dare to say it surpasses In Absentia . Considering that this is newer material to begin with and Steven wrote this with surround in his mind . I also checked out the DTS mix that is available on this disc as well and must say its equally as good with the .1 really getting a run for its money ! hahahaha !

overall this disc is a 10 (plus) ! i can't wait to catch these guys live again here in Greece . The more I see them play , the better they get ! Just like good wine :)

daved64 said:
Want my address?

Nope. Too much work. I either give them to John Atkinson for distribution to any other needy Stereophile editor whose taste might encompass the contents or I just toss it on the 'free' table at the local recycling center. The latter is only for those discs for which I cannot imagine a willing taker among the sentient.

Kal

Has anyone heard if Steven is going to be releasing "Blackfield" on a 5.1 mix ? hmmmm ..... It would really be a treat to get that as well .

Listened to Dead Wing on Friday and Saturday.
The reviews in this forum are dead on. It is a perfect surround mix. The moods, the balance, placement and feel are more than I expected.
It is indeed a heavier mix than IA, but I am one that likes change. This change is just enough, not too much.

Thanks for the recommendations. Well done everyone!

I gave this disk a whirl this morning all but the three bonus tracks. I watched the short video which I found very interesting. Overall I like the disk a lot, but I am still partial to In Absentia. This new disk might take a little longer to fully appreciate as did In Absentia. I liked the use of surrounds overall on the disk and as far as I can tell the first track is probably my favorite. My only comlaint on the disk on my initial thoughts were with the first tune (now that I've said it's my favorite) and it is just that it took a while for that song for me to notice any real depth musicly to the song. I think it was about 3:20 when my rear surround all of a sudden kicked in and from that point on the song really had a noticably deeper tone to it. I guess thats really more of an observation than a complaint, anyway I liked it and gave it an 8.

" Has anyone heard if Steven is going to be releasing "Blackfield" on a 5.1 mix ? hmmmm ..... It would really be a treat to get that as well "
I read somewhere that SW hopes to find time before the end of the year to 5.1 both 'Stupid Dream' and 'Lightbulb sun' ( the 2 which immediately preceded In Absentia ) so I guess if Blackfield happens it'll be later rather than sooner unfortunately

M

daved64 said:
Guys, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the bonus tracks on In Absentia have to be accessed separately as well????

I just listened to this again. I stopped the disc when the main menu was on. In the Stop mode I pushed the play button on the remote and all the tracks including the 3 bonus ones and Shesmovedon played in order without me doing anything.

Manmc said:
I read somewhere that SW hopes to find time before the end of the year to 5.1 both 'Stupid Dream' and 'Lightbulb sun'
Erm, shouldn't Elliot Scheiner do that, like on the other DVD-A's?

Recently got In Absentia, and except for 1 or 2 songs that were just too metal for me, I really liked it!! Sort of reminds me of a mix of Floyd, Alan Parsons, Peter Gabriel and NIN all together. I especially liked Gravity Eyelids and Strip the Soul.

Maybe a redundant question, but I'd appreciate opinions on how Deadwing compares. More metal or more eerie synth sounds? The surround mix on Absentia one of the best in my collection.

ss9001

Back