HiRez Poll Porcupine Tree - DEADWING [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Porcupine Tree - DEADWING

• Total voters
Is the DVD-A of Deadwing available from Burning Shed the dts disc?
It doesn't mention dts anywhere in the description (same thing with In Absentia)

I think I know what you mean - the masters are identical to the DTS Entertainments releases of the same name.

This is one of my favourite Porcupine Tree albums and it's an absolute joy to listen to in stereo. Having such an amazingly good SW 5.1 48k 24bit MLP mix just takes the album to a different level. This composition and the quality of the production/mix is just exemplary. Amazing he was doing surround this good back in 2005.

There are actually two surround versions of this album: A beautiful hardback digibook with an internal booklet of illustrations to back up the film concept (it was/is intended as a soundtrack to a film which so far hasn't received sufficient backing to make it) This version is a dual disc with DTS 5.1 and a 48k 24 bit mix of the "studio album" (no bonus tracks) The second version is the DVD-A jewel case version of the album plus three bonus tracks and a fourth "hidden" bonus track. (see posts above for how to access the hidden track.)

Despite not having the amazing packaging of the digibook, the DVD-A is the version to get. The 48k 24 bit MLP is just stunning. Discrete, beautifully mixed, perfect use of the surround field to extend not just the mix but the musical "statement" - this has it all. In addition the bonus tracks are incredible. imho Half-Light is not only the best track never to have made it onto a Porcupine Tree album proper, its arguably the best thing SW has ever written, One of those songs that's so melancholy it almost hurts to listen to it. A ten, no question.

This is one of my favourite Porcupine Tree albums and it's an absolute joy to listen to in stereo. Having such an amazingly good SW 5.1 48k 24bit MLP mix just takes the album to a different level. This composition and the quality of the production/mix is just exemplary. Amazing he was doing surround this good back in 2005.

There are actually two surround versions of this album: A beautiful hardback digibook with an internal booklet of illustrations to back up the film concept (it was/is intended as a soundtrack to a film which so far hasn't received sufficient backing to make it) This version is a dual disc with DTS 5.1 and a 48k 24 bit mix of the "studio album" (no bonus tracks) The second version is the DVD-A jewel case version of the album plus three bonus tracks and a fourth "hidden" bonus track. (see posts above for how to access the hidden track.)

Despite not having the amazing packaging of the digibook, the DVD-A is the version to get. The 48k 24 bit MLP is just stunning. Discrete, beautifully mixed, perfect use of the surround field to extend not just the mix but the musical "statement" - this has it all. In addition the bonus tracks are incredible. imho Half-Light is not only the best track never to have made it onto a Porcupine Tree album proper, its arguably the best thing SW has ever written, One of those songs that's so melancholy it almost hurts to listen to it. A ten, no question.
You are not the first person to think that SW mixed the 5.1 on Deadwing. It was Elliot Scheiner. But SW definitely has his opinion about the mastering (loudness wars):
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-questions&p=144985&highlight=wars#post144985
"von kulper: 4) What are your thoughts on Elliott Scheiner's surround mixes for IA and DW? If you were mixing them today what would you do different, and do you have any eventual plans of re-mixing and re-releasing them with your own surround mix?

SW: I actually haven't heard them since he did them, but it was the experience of sitting there while he did them that turned me on to the idea of getting into that world myself. It would be interesting to approach them again now and see how I might do them differently (if at all). We definitely need to reissue the IA and DW albums, not just in 5.1 but also with new stereo masters (both albums were originally done at the peak of the loudness wars era)."

Ahhhh. Stupidly, I had heard that before but forgot! Doh! ...I live in hope that he will re-visit the entire PT catalog for "anniversary releases" on Blu-Ray. Not too far fetched?

"...I live in hope that he will re-visit the entire PT catalog for "anniversary releases" on Blu-Ray."

As do I!

In one of the more recent interviews with SW, he said that he wanted to do an 11th ann. Edition of In Absentia, incl a BD and outtakes etc. He did nt mention doing a new mix, but who knows, it could be "the start of something beautiful" :D

In one of the more recent interviews with SW, he said that he wanted to do an 11th ann. Edition of In Absentia, incl a BD and outtakes etc. He did nt mention doing a new mix, but who knows, it could be "the start of something beautiful" :D
IMO the mix is superb. It is ES afterall. Heartattack In a Layby and Collapse the Light into Earth are breathtaking. Blackest Eyes, Trains are excellent. But the distortion on Blackest Eyes is downright depressing from a High-rez point of view. A re-master would be all that I would ever want.

OTOH if SW wants to do a new mix that would be something worth waiting for.

Since I'm late to the whole DVD-A party, I finally picked up a copy of this off ebay 6 months ago, and payed dearly for it I might add! But what a great mix this is, worth every penny! Stunning to say the least! I usually lean to the heavier darker side of music, but this album hits me just right! Like it better than IA. At 4:30 mark till the end of Mellotron Scratch is just mind blowing! To many highlights to get into, I'm just floored by this DVD-A!!

My only complaint, which many others share, is not being able to access the bonus tracks in the car (Acura). Especially Nil Recurring on FOABP, which I feel is as good FOABP.

Since I'm late to the whole DVD-A party, I finally picked up a copy of this off ebay 6 months ago, and payed dearly for it I might add! But what a great mix this is, worth every penny! Stunning to say the least! I usually lean to the heavier darker side of music, but this album hits me just right! Like it better than IA. At 4:30 mark till the end of Mellotron Scratch is just mind blowing! To many highlights to get into, I'm just floored by this DVD-A!!

My only complaint, which many others share, is not being able to access the bonus tracks in the car (Acura). Especially Nil Recurring on FOABP, which I feel is as good FOABP.

If you don't already have it grab the PT DVD video 'Arriving Somewhere...' It is basically a best of Deadwing and In Absentia performed live in Chicago. Great DTS 5.1 track - A Steven Wilson mix which makes it different to the DVD-Audio mixes. Filmed with HD cameras but never released on blu-ray. Also contains a few bonus songs.

Example:
[video=youtube_share;ug8CWIasWi8]http://youtu.be/ug8CWIasWi8[/video]

The guitar and bass lines more pronounced on the DVD-V mix compared to DVD-A.

DVD-AudioExtractor will get those bonus tracks off your DVD-Audio.

Last edited:
Sorry to be a little off topic, do you have a menu with 'group' or something similar you can access when FOABP is playing, it took me a while to work this out, my Merc has a Harman Kardon system and I can access all the bonus stuff on any disc by toggling through this group menu. Unfortunately it only says group1 group 2 etc. so you have to just try it until you find what you are looking for. It should be accessible somehow.

For Deadwing:
Album - Group 1
Bonus Tracks - Group 2
Shesmovedon - Group 3

PT are nowhere near as musically talented as the musicians on SW's Raven. I find Gavin's drumming dull. Not enough rapid fills or double bass work.

PT are nowhere near as musically talented as the musicians on SW's Raven. I find Gavin's drumming dull. Not enough rapid fills or double bass work.

Well, we are opposite ends of the spectrum... when I saw PT in 2009 , the musician who was the most exciting onstage was Gavin, I think he's brilliant and he hits those drums like there's no tomorrow, I could hear his unamplified drums from about 100 feet from the stage.
And he could be a perfect fit in SW's band...AMAOF, I find Marco's drumming a bit annoying -too busy sometimes , and Chad's a bit too boring....

The only thing I don't like about Gavin's drumming is that he uses Zildjian cymbals rather than Paiste....

I love the sound of the Paiste cymbals on the earlier PT albums is great with Chris Maitland... his drumming isn't as exciting, but it sounds great..

Gavin had been my favorite drummer until I saw Marco. Mr Harrison has plenty of rapid fire moves witnessed with PT and King Crimson. Gavin is quite adept at being playfully creative within any given piece. Marco is equally precise coupled with a wild streak I would call constructive abandon. Glad to enjoy each of them and what they ultimately give us.

Comparing the talents of musicians is folly. Gavin is recognized most importantly by his own peers as a uniquely talented percussionist. The likes of Messrs. Fripp & Wilson do not suffer fools and rapid fire drum fills do not, a great drummer make - creativity and groove reign supreme and IMO, Gavin Harrison has chops to spare.,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, we are opposite ends of the spectrum... when I saw PT in 2009 , the musician who was the most exciting onstage was Gavin, I think he's brilliant and he hits those drums like there's no tomorrow, I could hear his unamplified drums from about 100 feet from the stage.
And he could be a perfect fit in SW's band...AMAOF, I find Marco's drumming a bit annoying -too busy sometimes , and Chad's a bit too boring....

Marco too busy? Blasphemy. He is brilliant.

I think the drumming on Deadwing and in Absentia is boring! Since becoming a fan of Slayer and in particular Dave Lombardo i tend to judge people against him and nobody lives up. I know the genres are different but that is the type of drumming i like.

Content wise, I like this album as much I do lightbulb Sun. The mix is also both brilliant and immersive, bonus tracks such as half light envelopes the slide guitar and organ so effectively it gives me goosebumps.

Content wise, I like this album as much I do lightbulb Sun. The mix is also both brilliant and immersive, bonus tracks such as half light envelopes the slide guitar and organ so effectively it gives me goosebumps.

Half light is, imho, the best track never to be released on an album. It wasn't on the standard CD album, just a b-side of the "Lazarus" single. Almost as bad a call as Ian Anderson not putting Jack-a-Lynn on "Broadsword and the Beast"

You can access the bonus tracks in an Acura! If you have an ELS system, try holding down "Disc" or "6". I don't know about the Bose systems though.

Cheers!

Back