Boston SQ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill Brent said:
...Well not really surround - as CBS never put anything center rear - and couldn't put anything dead center in the sound field....(

I wouldn't say they "never" put anything in Center Back - "Funny Girl" SQ has full Center Back vocals on "You are woman, I am Man" - and they fully cancel in mono. With the SQ Interior or Position Encoder, sounds could be panned anywhere in the interior of the soundfield. For radio use, the SQ Forward encoders were used which moved any Center Back sound to Center Front. They could also be used for Stereo-to-SQ synthesis to create SQ encoded stereo recordings (a non-logic SQ Decoder can also be used for that).

Although the SQ system DID have severe mixing limitations in the early days, by late 73, everything had been worked out so that any direction around a 360 circle, interior or exterior, could be encoded.

Cheers!
Ty C. :)

Yup,
Adjusted the rears down a good bit and that solves the problems.
It's a neat way to hear the songs from this Boston album. Makes me wonder just how cool a high res version of the original quad masters would sound.
Thanks Bill
P.S. I took the liberty of loading a couple other tracks that you have there and I love them. Our taste in music, at least from what you have on that site, is very similar. I really like the Doobie Brothers Black Water and the Jethro Tull stuff :smokin (y)
Lonny

Disclord said:
I wouldn't say they "never" put anything in Center Back - "Funny Girl" SQ has full Center Back vocals on "You are woman, I am Man" - and they fully cancel in mono. With the SQ Interior or Position Encoder, sounds could be panned anywhere in the interior of the soundfield. For radio use, the SQ Forward encoders were used which moved any Center Back sound to Center Front. They could also be used for Stereo-to-SQ synthesis to create SQ encoded stereo recordings (a non-logic SQ Decoder can also be used for that).

Although the SQ system DID have severe mixing limitations in the early days, by late 73, everything had been worked out so that any direction around a 360 circle, interior or exterior, could be encoded.

Cheers!
Ty C. :)
Center back? Well, early discs did, like the Ten Years After disc. I think CBS figured out there were compatibility problems with center back due to the 90degree phasing or something. But then later in the game came Blow By Blow, where almost all the solo guitars are center back!
Marc

This looks to be a new entry on Discogs. Forgive me if this is old news, but as far as I knew the only pressing that anyone has ever seen of this is the Spanish one which is presumed to be a fake. Yes? No?

R-10372454-1496171993-1296.jpeg.jpg

This looks to be a new entry on Discogs. Forgive me if this is old news, but as far as I knew the only pressing that anyone has ever seen of this is the Spanish one which is presumed to be a fake. Yes? No?

View attachment 30040

Well I suppose anything is possible in this age of Photoshop. They even succeed in making the Kardashians look good in some photos. But if its a fake, its a very convincing one to my eyes!

oh I just remembered, the same pic appeared on Kenny's Quad Facebook group (the creator of the discogs listing is also a member of that group so I am guessing that is where they got the pic from) I asked if the original poster of the pic had anymore pics of the record, none were forthcoming at the time iirc

Has the demonstration mention on the label appeared on other CBS quad releases? I have never seen that, otherwise the label looks real to me. Jon recently posted pics of a Spanish version of this LP having a blue label of the 80's.

Has the demonstration mention on the label appeared on other CBS quad releases? I have never seen that, otherwise the label looks real to me. Jon recently posted pics of a Spanish version of this LP having a blue label of the 80's.

the "demonstration not for sale" logotype at the bottom of the label is what most commonly appears on WLP Columbia stuff, I have a number of promo & demo CBS SQ records and not one of them has that printed on the gold labels, there are gold embossed/stamped "not for sale" things on the sleeves (usually the reverse of the jackets) but I'm pretty sure the gold record labels are the same as the regular retail SQ LPs in every instance where I have two or more copies of the same SQ album including a promo and a final release but let me just double check that tomorrow and get back to you.

what I'm unclear about, is that this gold label with EQ catalogue number (shouldn't it be "PEQ xxxxx" by 1976 anyway?)
pic came from Bill Brent and the pic he posted here all those years ago was that later Blue Epic type with PEC catalogue number.. so my question to Bill would be, do you have two copies of this SQ Boston, one with gold label and one with black/blue?

Hi Fred, I am used to the gold stamp on the jackets as well. As to the dates of EQ and PEQ numbering, I don't know. I always thought the EQ was 1st issue and PEQ was a reissue. I have come across quad LP's that had been reissued, though I probably can't put my fingers on any examples. I thought I had read somewhere that the P was added to change the price code to both Epic and Columbia records in both stereo and quad. I would be happy to be corrected and edumacated.:phones

Hi Fred, I am used to the gold stamp on the jackets as well. As to the dates of EQ and PEQ numbering, I don't know. I always thought the EQ was 1st issue and PEQ was a reissue. I have come across quad LP's that had been reissued, though I probably can't put my fingers on any examples. I thought I had read somewhere that the P was added to change the price code to both Epic and Columbia records in both stereo and quad. I would be happy to be corrected and edumacated.:phones

could be, I'm far from expert in these things, I thought the P prefix which was added to existing catalogue items when the price hike came in stayed and all U.S. SQ LPs on Columbia/Epic/T-Neck/PIR from some point in 1974 on til '77 had PCQ/PEQ/PZQ cat info. but maybe not?

do you have any gold stamped SQ promo's with gold labels with that "demonstration" blurb on them?
pretty sure I don't but may only be because I haven't found one yet (and could still mean this gold label is genuine.. I am skeptical but still..!) :D

...... Jon recently posted pics of a Spanish version of this LP having a blue label of the 80's.

That jpg was from an eBay listing from about 10 years ago (or more). I have no idea if it's legit or some kind of photoshop deal, but I thought I'd throw it in for good measure. I would lean towards fake if I was a betting man.

That jpg was from an eBay listing from about 10 years ago (or more). I have no idea if it's legit or some kind of photoshop deal, but I thought I'd throw it in for good measure. I would lean towards fake if I was a betting man.

The focus is certainly inconsistent...

It actually looks pretty convincing with the U.S. Gold label, to me anyways.

The only blight or item I might question is the faded EPIC and SQ emblem at the top of that Gold label.:rolleyes:

Is it possible ? Yes I think it's possible , but one would think by now we might have seen at least a couple of these ?

Even demos/samplers not for consumer, but test pressings for industry insiders are made in numbers, perhaps low numbers but still some numbers.

It sure would be nice to obtain and REALLY have a good look at, though.

It actually looks pretty convincing with the U.S. Gold label, to me anyways.

The only blight or item I might question is the faded EPIC and SQ emblem at the top of that Gold label.:rolleyes:

Is it possible ? Yes I think it's possible , but one would think by now we might have seen at least a couple of these ?

Even demos/samplers not for consumer, but test pressings for industry insiders are made in numbers, perhaps low numbers but still some numbers.

It sure would be nice to obtain and REALLY have a good look at, though.

ah.. that's a point.. it figures if the logo is faded the text would be faded too (I'll check thru all the Epic SQ's now) but for me the clinchers are the EQ catalogue number (really think by 1976 it should be PEQ) and the "Demonstration Not For Sale" blurb at the bottom, which I can't find any SQ promo's in my own collection nor in any images online with that on the label. hmm..

Don't most demo LPs have white labels? I actually have a Demo stereo copy of this album and it has a white label with the "demonstration not for sale" embossed on the back of the jacket. so the fact that it has the standard gold sq look makes me think it's fake. But why go through the effort to make this?? Just to screw with a very select group of fans into quad? Seems weird.

The real mistake was releasing this in SACD 2ch only back when Sony was putting out 5.1...Since we didn't get a multichannel remix then I doubt we'll get once anytime soon unfortunately

image.jpg

the only faded Epic SQ LP I can find here and everything is similarly faded, track info and all (all my other Epic SQs, including multiple versions of the same SQ LP, have crisp logos with crisp type, mostly the logo is bronze and the type is black but everything is always sharp, this faded thing is the odd one out.. I note its "PEQ xxxxx" 1974 btw)

6NIUzwU.jpg

Don't most demo LPs have white labels? I actually have a Demo stereo copy of this album and it has a white label with the "demonstration not for sale" embossed on the back of the jacket. so the fact that it has the standard gold sq look makes me think it's fake. But why go through the effort to make this?? Just to screw with a very select group of fans into quad? Seems weird.

The real mistake was releasing this in SACD 2ch only back when Sony was putting out 5.1...Since we didn't get a multichannel remix then I doubt we'll get once anytime soon unfortunately

View attachment 30069

i don't know but every CBS label Demo SQ LP I've got (around 20-odd) has the exact same gold label as the retail release SQ LP, no "Demonstration Not For Sale" printed on any of the labels, just the gold stamp on the rear of the jacket

lD2KaQR.jpg

]
JWGW3Xm.jpg

also just noticed the Epic logo on that Boston gold label is wrong, it's the earlier one, whereas by 1976 it should be the one in your Stereo WLP, sjcorne..

iirc it was Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow that was one SQ LP (Labelle's Phoenix being the other) which straddled the Epic logo changeover and so first SQ pressings of those albums from 1975 have the earlier Epic logo, while later pressings from 1976 have the new Epic logo.

oh and also, I can see from your WLP the Stereo catalogue number is PE 34188, so the SQ would most definitely have been PEQ 34188.. that gold labels either full of faux pas or a fake, imho.

Back