Boston SQ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also since we're talking Boston I remember a thread mentioning that some multitracks were available as paid-for downloads online few years back...has anyone tried an upmix?

Also since we're talking Boston I remember a thread mentioning that some multitracks were available as paid-for downloads online few years back...has anyone tried an upmix?

the now defunct Jammit App had stems for the Boston debut album and at least one QQ member made a MultiCh (4.0 iirc) remix from those stems at the time (a few years ago.)..
more recently another QQ-er did a 5.1 remix from other stems (can't remember the source but they weren't the Jammit stems).. possibly the closest we'll get.. the SQ demo LP being discussed here doesn't "decode" differently from my LP (which I bought in the 80's) fwiw.. so either the Stereo is stealth SQ encoded or this SQ demo is just the Stereo.. at this point I'm going with the latter.

also just noticed the Epic logo on that Boston gold label is wrong, it's the earlier one, whereas by 1976 it should be the one in your Stereo WLP, sjcorne..

iirc it was Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow that was one SQ LP (Labelle's Phoenix being the other) which straddled the Epic logo changeover and so first SQ pressings of those albums from 1975 have the earlier Epic logo, while later pressings from 1976 have the new Epic logo.

oh and also, I can see from your WLP the Stereo catalogue number is PE 34188, so the SQ would most definitely have been PEQ 34188.. that gold labels either full of faux pas or a fake, imho.

It would absolutely be a PEQ, not an EQ. Whoever made that fake label messed that up. Great catch.

the now defunct Jammit App had stems for the Boston debut album and at least one QQ member made a MultiCh (4.0 iirc) remix from those stems at the time (a few years ago.)..
more recently another QQ-er did a 5.1 remix from other stems (can't remember the source but they weren't the Jammit stems).. possibly the closest we'll get.. the SQ demo LP being discussed here doesn't "decode" differently from my LP (which I bought in the 80's) fwiw.. so either the Stereo is stealth SQ encoded or this SQ demo is just the Stereo.. at this point I'm going with the latter.

that's neat...I guess it was never shared. I've been trying to piece together a mix using isolated tracks found on youtube and the stereo with vox removed, etc but it's nearly impossible to sync up the tracks and some are incomplete. It's really too bad this would have made for an unbelievable surround experience in quad or 5.1

update:
the only track I was able to find enough stems for was "peace of mind" and the results are nothing short of a total disaster. I put the isolated vocal with acoustic guitar center, drums front, and the stereo mix in the rears with vox removed. Unfortunately the stem source files were all low bitrate and out of sync, so the result is basically horrible echo and distortion. Guess I'm better at listening to 5.1 than mixing it.. but I NEED to hear this in surround at some point.

Last edited:
that's neat...I guess it was never shared. I've been trying to piece together a mix using isolated tracks found on youtube and the stereo with vox removed, etc but it's nearly impossible to sync up the tracks and some are incomplete. It's really too bad this would have made for an unbelievable surround experience in quad or 5.1

update:
the only track I was able to find enough stems for was "peace of mind" and the results are nothing short of a total disaster. I put the isolated vocal with acoustic guitar center, drums front, and the stereo mix in the rears with vox removed. Unfortunately the stem source files were all low bitrate and out of sync, so the result is basically horrible echo and distortion. Guess I'm better at listening to 5.1 than mixing it.. but I NEED to hear this in surround at some point.

i'll PM you later today/tonight :)

I can scan the side one label and shoot the cover if you want - not sure why any one would care at this point, the mixes that are circulating from the stems are knockouts - certainly beats what SQ was capable of. - and I also have the Spanish LP - but sold that off, when I got this (same mix, which I'm happy to share)

I can scan the side one label and shoot the cover if you want - not sure why any one would care at this point, the mixes that are circulating from the stems are knockouts - certainly beats what SQ was capable of. - and I also have the Spanish LP - but sold that off, when I got this (same mix, which I'm happy to share)

oh as many images as possible please!
front and back of jacket, labels of both sides of the record would be amazing, thanks!

is there a Quad remix credit?
is there an inner sleeve?
what's etched in the runout?
is the catalogue number on the sleeve EQ 34188 or PEQ 34188?
is the back of the jacket "Demo" gold embossed stamped?

Okay, I'll dig it out again. I really don't understand what all the fuss is about, there are better surround mixes around. In fact I think I'll play them on my Sunday show. It is amusing to read all the speculation about this. Never the less, next chance I get I'll do some scans.

Well now upon reflection :rolleyes:

I have to conclude this disc to be a bogus quad release.

First the prefix number thing , a bit minor but nonetheless important to a quad disc fr 76.

Secondly as pointed out prior, demos fr Columbia/Epic including Quad demos are in B/W label pretty much standard.

But thirdly and most imperative is the Epic Emblem . No way should it be that olde one for any labels in again,1976 !! That's just far and away a major "faux pas " for any Epic disc .
Sorry but that just convinces me it was not anything Columbia/Epic could possibly screw up !

well good then, I don't need to go through the trouble of scanning and photographing the album - glad you were able to figure it all out

well good then, I don't need to go through the trouble of scanning and photographing the album - glad you were able to figure it all out

NEWS FLASH !
My strongest argument against that gold label disc with the 1972 Epic logo , has been laid to waste !!

I was checking some Epic quad vinyls I have and it would seem that Epic DID INDEED revert back to the older logo on those U.S. gold labels for quad issue in 1976.

gold label from my U.S Quad of Redbone 1972 is the same as the 1976 label I have of Jeff Beck-Wired Quad----for 1976 !

1973,74, and 75 copies of Epic Quad discs I own all have the lower case "e " logos . So now I must eat some crow for being too hasty.

The mystery still continues a bit , but I like Fred (Adam) would like to see, if possible more scans plus that stamper # if possible.

My first two anomalies remain as does the colour (white-on gold with black print) of the Epic logo and SQ logo.

I can't outright state that disc is legit , but I can not dismiss it at the same instance as a bogus sampler. It may , repeat may be the real MaCoy-----or a very good photoshop job .
Either way it's worth looking into a bit further .

Here's a photo of my "Wired" quad disc, for comparison.

20170722_192751.jpg20170722_193039.jpg

NEWS FLASH !
My strongest argument against that gold label disc with the 1972 Epic logo , has been laid to waste !!

I was checking some Epic quad vinyls I have and it would seem that Epic DID INDEED revert back to the older logo on those U.S. gold labels for quad issue in 1976.

gold label from my U.S Quad of Redbone 1972 is the same as the 1976 label I have of Jeff Beck-Wired Quad----for 1976 !

1973,74, and 75 copies of Epic Quad discs I own all have the lower case "e " logos . So now I must eat some crow for being too hasty.

The mystery still continues a bit , but I like Fred (Adam) would like to see, if possible more scans plus that stamper # if possible.

My first two anomalies remain as does the colour (white-on gold with black print) of the Epic logo and SQ logo.

I can't outright state that disc is legit , but I can not dismiss it at the same instance as a bogus sampler. It may , repeat may be the real MaCoy-----or a very good photoshop job .
Either way it's worth looking into a bit further .

Here's a photo of my "Wired" quad disc, for comparison.

View attachment 30144View attachment 30145

would love to see those Epic SQ LPs from 73 & 74 with lower case "e" Epic logos, please!

would love to see those Epic SQ LPs from 73 & 74 with lower case "e" Epic logos, please!

Oh alright , I guess so.:rolleyes:

Now you've given me some "homework" to do . So....perhaps not today----but soon . (y)

All 3 ( Epic quads 73,74,75) are Canadian issues btw . Hope "the dog doesn't eat my homework" .:eek:

Epic Canada SQ Quads as requested. 73...74...and 75.

View attachment 30155View attachment 30156View attachment 30157

and Redbone fr 72. U.S. copy.

View attachment 30158

thanks so much for taking the time and trouble FW, it is much appreciated :)

did you buy these records new in 73/74?

I can find Epic Stereo LPs with the new lower case "e" logo on the 'orange and white circle' label from 1973
but so far I have been able to find an example of a U.S. pressed gold label Epic SQ LP with the newer logo from before 1975.. weird isn't it?

thanks so much for taking the time and trouble FW, it is much appreciated :)

did you buy these records new in 73/74?

I can find Epic Stereo LPs with the new lower case "e" logo on the 'orange and white circle' label from 1973
but so far I have been able to find an example of a U.S. pressed gold label Epic SQ LP with the newer logo from before 1975.. weird isn't it?

Yes indeed I did ..Buy them all brand spanking new when they came out. Usually followed the Stereo discs by a couple months , sometimes they were released to gether .

And FWIW : Here's a pic of EPIC U.S. QUAD 73 ARGENT'S -IN DEEP.

20170723_135317.jpg20170723_135325.jpg

I find it weird that all the U.S. Quad albums have the lower case "e" on the jackets, but they used the olde Epic logo on the vinyl ??
They must of had an over abundance of gold labels printed, or were just lazy with the logo work.

Back