DVD/DTS Poll Moody Blues - Seventh Sojourn [DTS CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD of Moody Blues - SEVENTH SOJOURN

• Total voters
Voted 9.

I've received this disc as a present from a very generous fellow member and I'm blown away. I'm used to hearing this mix from the SACD but I have to admit that even if this disc offers a lower resolution than the SACD, I find the sound warmer and more dynamic.

A huge "Thank You" to the DTS team for having done such a great transfer of this classic album. (y)

I now wish they'd only had gotten around to releasing the four Quads.

Voted 9.

I've received this disc as a present from a very generous fellow member and I'm blown away. I'm used to hearing this mix from the SACD but I have to admit that even if this disc offers a lower resolution than the SACD, I find the sound warmer and more dynamic.

A huge "Thank You" to the DTS team for having done such a great transfer of this classic album. (y)

I now wish they'd only had gotten around to releasing the four Quads.

We had the all the quad masters on Hi-8, the transfer medium at the time. In reviewing these, there was the problem we found in a few, the quad master was over modulated in several areas, especially EGBDF. We had requested to get into a way to replace these parts as they were only a few seconds, but as the DTS experience progressed, the quad stuff was less important to new mixes. DTS was less interested, as these had to be made into 5.1 which was what was being driven by the industry. Brad got ill and we just shelved the whole thing. I think one was the last cut on EGBDF and i remember i went back to the quad reel and sure enough if you played only that channel it was evident for a couple seconds. Justin did not help the sacds with whatever he did. I would rather listen to the quad masters. DTS 7th sojourn sounds pretty close to the quads.

We had the all the quad masters on Hi-8, the transfer medium at the time. In reviewing these, there was the problem we found in a few, the quad master was over modulated in several areas, especially EGBDF. We had requested to get into a way to replace these parts as they were only a few seconds, but as the DTS experience progressed, the quad stuff was less important to new mixes. DTS was less interested, as these had to be made into 5.1 which was what was being driven by the industry. Brad got ill and we just shelved the whole thing. I think one was the last cut on EGBDF and i remember i went back to the quad reel and sure enough if you played only that channel it was evident for a couple seconds. Justin did not help the sacds with whatever he did. I would rather listen to the quad masters. DTS 7th sojourn sounds pretty close to the quads.

Were the Hi-8 tapes digital or analog? Thank you for sharing this info! I love reading all this behind the scenes stuff. :)

Just heard this for the first time – one of my first listens to a quad transfer. After listening to so many 5.1 mixes, it’s something of a revelation to hear all four channels treated more or less as equals. Lead vocals in the back left channel, with a call and response in the front right. Pinder’s Mellotron really holds everything together. Amazing stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see that I gave this a "2" way back when. Reason: Compared to the SACD, the DTS-CD version has such a hot high end that you could fry an egg on it. I'm sticking with my vote because there is a much better sounding alternative out there that I would recommend seeking out.

Back