DVD/DTS Poll Allman Brothers Band, The - Live at Fillmore East [DTS CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD of the Allman Brothers Band - LIVE AT THE FILLMORE EAST

• Total voters
Nothing fancy about this mix, but for a live album it's perfect. The guitars are isolated in the rear channels with Duane to my left and Dicky to my right, while the drums, bass, keys and vocals are spread across the front. Very discrete. The sound has good dynamics and likes to be turned up. My subwoofer isn't used for this mix, but it still sounds punchy. The musical content, of course, is classic. I give it a 9. (I have no idea if a harmonica solo is missing, all I can say is I don't miss it!)

The guitars are isolated in the rear channels with Duane to my left and Dicky to my right
This is the Quad mix but there is music in the center and the subwoofer channels.

Does anyone know if the C and SW channels are redundant, or deducted from the other four?

Thanks in advance.

The center channel seems to have been contrived for this release merely to fill a perceived 'hole' in the front, though what it offers isn't much to have bothered with at all, and takes its information mostly from the ambient sounds of the quad master, possibly some out of phase sounds. If you turn it off, safe to say you won't miss it.

ED :)

The center channel seems to have been contrived for this release merely to fill a perceived 'hole' in the front, though what it offers isn't much to have bothered with at all, and takes its information mostly from the ambient sounds of the quad master, possibly some out of phase sounds. If you turn it off, safe to say you won't miss it.

ED :)

Thanks, Ed!

Trying to remove the glitch at the end of Stormy Monday. Crazy enough, it is in L and RS, the other channels are OK.

I know there is a great conversion from Q4, but it's somewhat fun, except when I face my ignorance re Audition.

This is my 1000th post!

I voted 8. Ralphie turned me onto this last week and it arrived today. It's real good but not as good as the Eat A Peach SACD 5.1 and well, different then the Fillmore Blu Ray. I grew up on this and for pure bring me back home enjoyment the best is stereo SACD from MOFI. However now that I know how to rip Blu Rays I am going to rip the Fillmore East BD-A and put the tracks in order that Tom Dowd pulled out of the original concert.
You have to read the little booklet to find the tracks. Anyway I'll get back to you on that.

I voted 8. Ralphie turned me onto this last week and it arrived today. It's real good but not as good as the Eat A Peach SACD 5.1 and well, different then the Fillmore Blu Ray. I grew up on this and for pure bring me back home enjoyment the best is stereo SACD from MOFI. However now that I know how to rip Blu Rays I am going to rip the Fillmore East BD-A and put the tracks in order that Tom Dowd pulled out of the original concert.
You have to read the little booklet to find the tracks. Anyway I'll get back to you on that.
You are saying that the SET LIST order on the 3 disc Blu Ray set is not in the correct order? Just verifying 😀

Here are the images of the 2 different DTS discs of Live at The Filmore East.....can someone please tell me what if anything the differences are Thanks

Attachments

• Allman Bros 2.jpg
    Allman Bros 2.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 220
  • Allman Bros.jpg
    Allman Bros.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 219
Here are the images of the 2 different DTS discs of Live at The Filmore East.....can someone please tell me what if anything the differences are Thanks

I believe the regular jewel box is a two disc set, while the super jewel version has the whole album on one disc. Content/mix are the same- it's the original quad with derived center/sub channels.

Last edited:
You are saying that the SET LIST order on the 3 disc Blu Ray set is not in the correct order? Just verifying 😀
The original At Fillmore East, released July 1971.
1. Statesboro Blues
2. Done Somebody Wrong
3. Stormy Monday
4. You Don't Love Me
5. Hot 'Lanta
6. In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed
7. Whipping Post
The Blu Ray has two nights, March 12 & 13, 1971 4 shows, and the Closing of on June 27 1971. Tom Dowd when he mixed the original album took certain songs from those dates to release the original album including on one or two songs he took parts from the concert songs and turned them into one song. In the liner notes of the Blu Ray it tells you what he did with what songs.
Unfortunately because of his mixing of two songs into one you can't create your own playlist of the original album using all the songs from the Blu Ray.
As I am a big fan of this release I have all the versions, my favorite stereo is the Mobile Fidelity which is my preferred way of listening and the surrounds I listen to occasionally.
I saw The Allman Brothers Band at Winterland SF with Duane Allman, I believe 2 months before he died.

1. Statesboro Blues
2. Done Somebody Wrong
3. Stormy Monday
4. You Don't Love Me
5. Hot 'Lanta
7. Whipping Post
The Blu Ray has two nights, March 12 & 13, 1971 4 shows, and the Closing of on June 27 1971. Tom Dowd when he mixed the original album took certain songs from those dates to release the original album including on one or two songs he took parts from the concert songs and turned them into one song. In the liner notes of the Blu Ray it tells you what he did with what songs.
Unfortunately because of his mixing of two songs into one you can't create your own playlist of the original album using all the songs from the Blu Ray.
As I am a big fan of this release I have all the versions, my favorite stereo is the Mobile Fidelity which is my preferred way of listening and the surrounds I listen to occasionally.
I saw The Allman Brothers Band at Winterland SF with Duane Allman, I believe 2 months before he died.

Allman Brothers are a special band for me....if you love guitar playing...and I do...you are hard pressed to find better guitar riffs anywhere(y)

The only officially release of the AB at FE original Quad mix (CD-4, Q4) in digital form is the dts CD (the subject of this thread), with the skip/jump in two channels issue and the lack of the harmonica solo (edited out also in the stereo release) in Stormy Monday.

Allman Brothers are a special band for me....if you love guitar playing...and I do...you are hard pressed to find better guitar riffs anywhere(y)
I was playing the Allman Brothers Atlanta 1970 Pop Festival CDs the other day. Duane Allman is absolutely on fire. His playing is ferocious. Highly recommend this 2CD set if it's still available

1. Statesboro Blues
2. Done Somebody Wrong
3. Stormy Monday
4. You Don't Love Me
5. Hot 'Lanta
7. Whipping Post
Which MFSL do you have the US or Japanese or both? If you have both is the pressing from Japan that much better and worth the $$$ difference sound wise?

I have now found a 3rd version of the DTS are they all the same sound quality wise and I don’t think any of the DTS had 2 discs

The regular jewel case version definitely has two discs:
allman_Dts.jpg

There are three distinct surround mixes of Live At The Fillmore:
1. Quad Mix - 1970s CD-4 Vinyl/Quad 8-Track/Quad Reel, 1990s DTS-CD
2. 5.1 Mix By Jeff Glixman - 2004 SACD
3. 5.1 Mix By Kevin Reeves - 2014 Blu-Ray

The quad mix is the only version that doesn't fall for the old "it's a live recording so there can only be audience in the rears" trope. Definitely the one to get.

I guarantee you all versions of the DTS-CD look and sound the same, the only difference is 2 discs in the regular jewel case vs. 1 in the super jewel.

Back