HiRez Poll Dire Straits - BROTHERS IN ARMS [SACD/DVD-A DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A of Dire Straits - BROTHERS IN ARMS

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Available everywhere in the world as an SACD except in the United States! :mad:

Available as a DVD-A DualDisc in the USA/Canada with the same mix. To get the SACD, many have ordered this one as an import.

As you get it, post your comments! (y) :phones (n)

Attachments

• brothers2.gif
    brothers2.gif
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,201
Well, I just gave the SACD a quick listen on the little Sony mini-system in my bedroom, and it's everything you've been expecting. Vocals in the center speaker, drums in the front, and all the other instruments and voices equally spread around the room. Lots of discrete stuff in the rears which is a relief after the tame surround mix on Knopfler's Shangri-La album. They seem to have slightly de-80's-ified the production of the album, with the drums especially sounding more lifelike. I can't wait to crank this one up on my main system tomorrow!

Dave.

steelydave said:
Well, I just gave the SACD a quick listen on the little Sony mini-system in my bedroom, and it's everything you've been expecting. Vocals in the center speaker, drums in the front, and all the other instruments and voices equally spread around the room. Lots of discrete stuff in the rears which is a relief after the tame surround mix on Knopfler's Shangri-La album. They seem to have slightly de-80's-ified the production of the album, with the drums especially sounding more lifelike. I can't wait to crank this one up on my main system tomorrow!

Dave.

Excellent news from someone who knows his surround! Thanks, Dave! :banana:

Wow...I thought I knew every little note on this album. It was in my cd player for 3 months in a row(nothing else) in 85. Not to sound overly dramatic but this new release made me cry... happy tears but also knowing that other albums of my youth will never get a chance to sound this good.

I give a ten...I want Making Movies, I want more tissues

:sun :sun :sun

This is one of the finest SACDs I have ever heard. I was literally blown off my couch! WOW!

From the first opening notes of "So Far Away" I knew this was something special. This is music that I knew well, yet, as Bobou2 has posted above, it was a totally new listen.

The mix is incredible. No gimmicks, just a super wide soundfield that brings out every detail that is imaginable. The intros are quite impressive. Aside from the "Money for Nothing" intro, which sounds like you want it to, the intro to "Ride Across the River" is equally impressive.

I can't get over how great this disc is. I have to listen to it more, and more, and more.

Price is not an issue, if you have an SACD player, you HAVE to have this SACD.

If anyone hears this on a good system, and listens to the 5.1 mix, they will never go back to stereo. This will be my new #1 5.1 demo disc. No doubt about it.

PS - Don't bother with the "Ltd Ed". The real SACD is in the standard rounded corner jewel box, which to me is much better than the digipak of the Ltd one.

GO GET THIS SACD, AND PREPARE TO SMILE!

JonUrban said:
PS - Don't bother with the "Ltd Ed". The real SACD is in the standard rounded corner jewel box, which to me is much better than the digipak of the Ltd one.

Is the packaging the only difference though?

Guy Robinson said:
Is the packaging the only difference though?

I think they're the same. I am going to keep the digipak sealed. What the heck?

Man, this disc is incredible. I was listening on my PC to the wav files, and even the song, "Why Worry", which I sorta skipped over in the past, is a revelation in surround. The harmonies are spread around to all 5 speakers, and fill the soundfield with a church like effect. Damn!

This one rates a whole "bunch" of bananas. I can't wait to hear it in the TL! :D

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: point:banana:

So, from your positive reaction it looks like we can assume that the sound quality is not an issue with this release? Only wondering as I see that it was originally recorded at 16/44.1

My copy arrived today and I just finished the 1st listen..

It falls into the "F**K me - this is an awesome" disc category... a 10 all the way boys and girls..

my frame of reference for this disc as been on 2 channel vinyl..admittedly rarely listen to vinyl anymore, because I want MC but it's just not even close..

So many highlights on this SACD....it's like I experienced the album for the very first time...

It too brings tears to my eyes but that's because I'm crying for more like this one..it's such a good example of what we could have if only more artists did likewise...

It's nuggets like this that make the investment in MC setups worthwhile..

BananaSlug said:
So, from your positive reaction it looks like we can assume that the sound quality is not an issue with this release? Only wondering as I see that it was originally recorded at 16/44.1

From http://www.sa-cd.net/showthread/6708//y?page=first

Mixing: "Brothers in Arms"

My buddy Chuck Ainlay spent about three months doing the surround mix on this at Mark Knopfler's surround room in London. Chuck has been working with Mark on all his projects for quite some time.

Anyone that knows Chuck's surround mixing work knows he will bring "BIA" to a whole new level of listening experience. Chuck described Mark's room, equipped with a full surround ATC scm-300 monitor system, as the best surround room he ever worked in. He was thrilled with the results he was getting from the masters and the system.

To those that think mixing from a 44.1 16-bit source will not yield any advantages over the original, consider this: D/A technology and quality has come a L-O-N-G way since "BIA" was originally produced. Far more resolution is possible now from the source than what the original D/As were capable of back then. Additionally, the new surround mix was performed in the analog domain - not through a 44.1 digital mixer! Chuck would have made full use of every great analog and/or digital tool at his disposal during the surround mix.

I, for one, will be anxiously awaiting MY copy of "Brothers in Arms," which I'm certain I'll use as a surround playback reference source.

Best Regards,

Michael Bishop
Recording Engineer

John the Depot Dude said:
From http://www.sa-cd.net/showthread/6708//y?page=first

Mixing: "Brothers in Arms"

My buddy Chuck Ainlay spent about three months doing the surround mix on this at Mark Knopfler's surround room in London. Chuck has been working with Mark on all his projects for quite some time.

Anyone that knows Chuck's surround mixing work knows he will bring "BIA" to a whole new level of listening experience. Chuck described Mark's room, equipped with a full surround ATC scm-300 monitor system, as the best surround room he ever worked in. He was thrilled with the results he was getting from the masters and the system.

To those that think mixing from a 44.1 16-bit source will not yield any advantages over the original, consider this: D/A technology and quality has come a L-O-N-G way since "BIA" was originally produced. Far more resolution is possible now from the source than what the original D/As were capable of back then. Additionally, the new surround mix was performed in the analog domain - not through a 44.1 digital mixer! Chuck would have made full use of every great analog and/or digital tool at his disposal during the surround mix.

I, for one, will be anxiously awaiting MY copy of "Brothers in Arms," which I'm certain I'll use as a surround playback reference source.

Best Regards,

Michael Bishop
Recording Engineer

Excellent! Thanks for digging this up. My copy should hopefully arrive this side of the Atlantic next week :)

I just got off the phone with CD Universe and they finally have Brothers in Arms SACD in stock.
My back ordered copy shipped out yestarday :banana: :banana: :banana:
Can't wait to get it and have a listen.

Lonny

Two Thumbs up number 10 with a rocket.
Be there - so enjoyabel - the sax solo arrrrrrrrr - what Hirez is all about.
Give me MORE.
Yes a must have.
Regards
Bill

Had to give this one a 10 as well. One thing that bothers me a little and it probably has everything to do with my system, is that on "Money for Nothing" all of Sting's duet part except for "I want my MTV", comes direct center as does Mark's singing. On my system it sounds like they are sharing a mike and it is being beamed directly at me through the center speaker, no space at all between the singers...I keep expecting to hear Knopler go; "Jesus, back off Gordon, haven't you heard of personal space?" Again, it could just be my system, other than that, no complaints. If you are one that likes the 5.1 mix
to be faithful to the original, you won't be happy. These are completely new sounding mixes, with stuff you've never heard before coming at you. An instrument that was buried in the original mix, could be quite prominent now. I personally love new mixes as I already have a couple of copies of the old mix, but just to warn others, you will be hearing these songs "like it's the first time".

Last edited:
JonUrban said:
This is one of the finest SACDs I have ever heard. I was literally blown off my couch! WOW!

From the first opening notes of "So Far Away" I knew this was something special. This is music that I knew well, yet, as Bobou2 has posted above, it was a totally new listen.

The mix is incredible. No gimmicks, just a super wide soundfield that brings out every detail that is imaginable. The intros are quite impressive. Aside from the "Money for Nothing" intro, which sounds like you want it to, the intro to "Ride Across the River" is equally impressive.

I can't get over how great this disc is. I have to listen to it more, and more, and more.

Price is not an issue, if you have an SACD player, you HAVE to have this SACD.

If anyone hears this on a good system, and listens to the 5.1 mix, they will never go back to stereo. This will be my new #1 5.1 demo disc. No doubt about it.

GO GET THIS SACD, AND PREPARE TO SMILE!

Agreed. If you want to get blown off the couch, check the subwoofer "booms" on track 7 - Wow !

I played this for my friend Denis last night. He is big fan of DS. His direct quote was " OMFG.....this is the best thing I've ever heard." He has a DVD-A player in his HT in a box. Not much of a supporter but I think he will run out and get this when it comes out in a few months.

This disc is "Reason Enough" to add an SACD player to your system if you have not already.

It arrived this morning & has instantly become my favorite "Demo" album. Music is great, everything is coming discretely out of the right speakers, all 6 of em!

Does it get better than this one?:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: .:banana:

It's not often I get goosebumps listening to music of any kind and I have heard this cd maybe a hundred times since 1985 so I would never expect it but....

Goosebumps galore!!! If I could vote 11 I would.

From the opening notes of So Far Away to the end of Brothers in Arms I continually got goosebumps and had a huge smile on my face. Anyone who says that hirez is dead NEEDS to hear this disc. The wait has never been more worth it. I always loved this album but it truly is like hearing it for the first time again. My original 1985 favorite track, "The Man's Too Strong" has been made even more dramatic in 5.1. This thing kills me!!

I'd like to say more but I need to go listen again... see ya!!!

Back