HiRez Poll Dire Straits - BROTHERS IN ARMS [SACD/DVD-A DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A of Dire Straits - BROTHERS IN ARMS

• Total voters
I keep hearing too many good things about this disc so, I ordered it from amazon.co.uk for $21.04 USD including shipping. It’s lists for 9.99 British Pounds but it rang up for 8.50 + 3.08 S&H.

June 7th or so. I can’t wait!!!!!!! :banana:

Last edited:
edit: When I hit "Where's my stuff?" in the "My account" section, it said June 15-17th.

So, forget the initial post for the 7th.

Worth the wait. If you guys love it, so will I. :smokin

Got mine as well today from CDWow. Just listened to it once but it is a 10. The entire surround soundstage is used to make a very wide but cohesive sound. The detailing is incredible and the way the instruments have been mixed to the various speakers sounds about perfect to me. Fantastic. Definately a demo disc. Going to be a good evening as I have the Smile DVD as well as a few more Living Stereo discs to listen to.

ME TOO!
It got better as it went on. I was ready to say 9 because I thought the first 2 songs were a bit bass shy, but things got better. Ride Across The River is a showcase song! Great movement with some of the effects.

10 !!!

"Why Worry" and "Ride Across the River" are showcase tracks to me!

Got my copy for CD WOW today - came from Hong Kong. Six day delivery including a federal holiday with free shipping - better than my recent experiences with amazon and an import!

Anyway, it sounds fantastic - I gave it a 10 like everyone else. This does bring up one point though - if this is 16 bit 44.1 then maybe the whole argument about not needing 24 bit is correct. This certainly sounds as good (and better than some) 24 bit recordings.

The surround mix is very good for this type of music.

Though I gave it a 10, and I certainly think it deserves it, it's hard for me to get too excited about this disc... I've been listening to Deadwing an awful lot recently. :banana:

Just for my knowing (I'm new here):
can I play this album on my home-cinema-set ans enjoy the 5.1-sound??

Poco

Pocoloco said:
Just for my knowing (I'm new here):
can I play this album on my home-cinema-set ans enjoy the 5.1-sound??

Poco

Sure, just plug your SACD Surround Sound player into your 5.1 Home Theater set up and you should be all set.

bmoura said:
Sure, just plug your SACD Surround Sound player into your 5.1 Home Theater set up and you should be all set.

uuhhhh I just have my home-cinema-set, no SACD Surround Sound player. Does it work anyway??
Poco

daved64 said:
No sacd surround player, no sacd surround!

I discovered so myself as well. My homecinemaset will not play SACD. Just: SHIT!
I was realy curious how it would sound.
(At least I don't know what I'm missing) :eek:

I bought the album, bud was able to bring it back to the store. :)
Here (in Holland) you can buy it just in every shop.

Maby some day I'll be able to hear al that good stuff :phones

TNX anyway for your help.
CU
Poco (y)

Got my copy from CDWOW last night...18.95 US dollars which included the shipping...haven't seen it for less anywhere else.

Previous commentors are right on...this is a stellar 5.1 mix! Why can't all surround mixes sound this good? Bottom line...if you think you've heard these songs before, you don't know what you're missing:)!

The beginning of "Walk of Life" is particularly stunning...the separation of the various instruments/sounds is quite breathtaking...

If you're in the U.S....don't wait who knows how long for the U.S. release...just get this baby now and enjoy!:) :)

jkoolpe said:
Got my copy from CDWOW last night...18.95 US dollars which included the shipping...haven't seen it for less anywhere else.

Previous commentors are right on...this is a stellar 5.1 mix! Why can't all surround mixes sound this good? Bottom line...if you think you've heard these songs before, you don't know what you're missing:)!

The beginning of "Walk of Life" is particularly stunning...the separation of the various instruments/sounds is quite breathtaking...

If you're in the U.S....don't wait who knows how long for the U.S. release...just get this baby now and enjoy!:) :)

So far, the CD Wow price is the lowest one out there. And a great deal at $18.95 !

bmoura said:
So far, the CD Wow price is the lowest one out there. And a great deal at $18.95 !

Yes, and they delivered it faster than amazon.com delivered my Porcupine Tree DVD-A. Maybe I should order more discs from overseas so I get them faster.

btw, they also have Tubular Bells SACD for those looking for a good deal on it in N.A.

bmoura said:

That Was Then, This Is Now,

Here's a heads up for what it is worth. Throughout the course of the evening CDWOW's price went from $34.95 to $24.95. I just found this out after doing a "buy it now " on eBay for $24.99 from Hong Kong. Acoustic Sound's is still at $34.99.

Here's my question for these sh*t for brains gurus at the record companies. Why do you not market your product to the largest consumer in the world, the U.S.A.? When this record went multi-platinum it didn't do it without the U.S. sales, so why the slap in the face?:confused: What do you want, for us all to convert back to stereo? NOT!:howl

If anyone is interested, the seller that I used on eBay is internationalrecords and he has several copies for a "buy it now" price of $18.99 plus $6.00 shipping to the U.S. He seems to have good, consistent feedback from audiophile types. I hope I don't end up with a boot. Anyone out there have any dealings with this cat?

OK:zzzzz I feel better now that I got that off my chest. Back to listening to my stereo virgin vinyl through my NuReality VHT-200 that I picked up upon obbopp's recommendation's here in the quad pages. I just love what this thing is capable of doing to a stereo source. :phones Aquadad

Last edited:
aquadad said:
That Was Then, This Is Now,

Here's a heads up for what it is worth. Throughout the course of the evening CDWOW's price went from $34.95 to $24.95. I just found this out after doing a "buy it now " on eBay for $24.99 from Hong Kong. Acoustic Sound's is still at $34.99.
:confused:
Dude...WTF???? I show $18.95

DIRE STRAITS - Brothers In Arms (20th Anniversary Edition SACD)
Price: $18.95

http://www7.cd-wow.net/detail_results.php?product_code=17932

Last edited:
Back