HiRez Poll Dire Straits - BROTHERS IN ARMS [SACD/DVD-A DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A of Dire Straits - BROTHERS IN ARMS

• Total voters
Reports from a study called “Open To Exploitation” hit the newswires in the past couple of days indicating some internet merchants and even traditional retailers sometimes charge different prices to different customers for the same products.

Reference: http://www.insidebayarea.com/businessnews/ci_2777631

That could explain some of the discrepancies in the pricing or perhaps CD-Wow acts as a fake store front for several smaller regional stores without internet presence.

To Aquadad’s point, I had read awhile back that artist royalty issues played a significant hand in why the US market has not seen some of these back catalogue SACD, DVD-A releases. Perhaps one of our more knowledgeable forum members can either elaborate or correct me?

splinter7 said:
To Aquadad’s point, I had read awhile back that artist royalty issues played a significant hand in why the US market has not seen some of these back catalogue SACD, DVD-A releases. Perhaps one of our more knowledgeable forum members can either elaborate or correct me?
I think it has more to do with which label a band is with. They sign different deals from over here to Europe. Warner's owns Dire Straits in NA and they don't do SACD.....but strangely, Universal Canada is supposed to be releasing the SACD of Brothers up here........weird.

I might be the only guy on the planet who had never actually heard this entire album before...i was never crazy about the singles.
This SACD is quite spectacular sonics wise and interestingly enough, I much prefer the latter half of the album.
Terrific disc...
/\/\

Me too. I think it gets really great starting with "Your Latest Trick", although it was a treat to hear the "hits", I tend to skip them now

BananaSlug said:
Edit: Nevermind - wrong currency conversion. Sorry. Still, a good deal for the Brits, 10 quid!

Agreed, a good deal at these prices.

And speaking of a good deal, the new David Elias SACD "Crossing" is now out. He's selling them direct on his web site, complete with autograph, for $15.98 !

Now that's another deal. (See thread in the SACD Discussions section below).

Finally got a chance to sit down and give the 5.1 mix a spin, depsite having this disc in my possession for about a week now. I guess I'm in the minority of people who didn't give it a 10 (23 votes to 4?). It's nice, to be sure. Perfect? Not exactly. Something about this mix sounds just slightly "off" to me - can't put my finger on it exactly. Perhaps the over-reliance on the center channel. Hard to tell. I noticed that this new mix downplays a lot of the (admittedly dated-sounding) keyboard and drum sounds from the original.

Having said that, I did still give it a 9 - one of the best surround discs I own. Certainly makes a good "demo" disc, if only because so many people are familiar with the original and would be impressed with how much the surround mix opens this one up.

Oh, sweet mother.

You know, I have the vinyl and never bought the red book CD. Most of my favorite Dire Straights music is their non-MTV stuff. I mean, how many times can you listen to “Money for Nothing” and think of only the video.

Well, this is a complete album, the type you don’t ever feel cheated buying. “Your latest Trick” is a thing of beauty, with the Sax rolling around your head and the drum ending of ‘Why Worry” renewed this cut for me.

I almost knocked this one back to a 8 due to missing surrounds. But then I continued to listen. The surround kicked in with “Your latest Trick” and I started swatting at the crickets on “Ride Across the River”

So, I then wanted to give it a 9. But I continued to listen.

Then Mark Knopfler just melted me away with “Brothers in Arms”. OK, OK it’s a ten.

Let me listen to it again, and again, I’m sure I’ll find something to criticise.

Ooh, ooh. It’s too short - that’s it. :smokin

Last edited:
Got mine today from CDWOW.com for $18.95 and FREE SHIPPING.

I'm glad I was impatient and didn't wait for the US release on DVD-A.

It's AWESOME!

Great mix, great sonics. I highly recommend.

Ick said:
Got mine today from CDWOW.com for $18.95 and FREE SHIPPING.I'm glad I was impatient and didn't wait for the US release on DVD-A. It's AWESOME! Great mix, great sonics. I highly recommend.

How long did it take to arrive?

For mine, also from CDWOW, it took approx five days from the time they told me it was sent to the day it got delivered. I would defintiely buy from them again

While, I would much rather have Love Over Gold or Making Movies in 5.1, this release certainly is worthy for deeper album cuts. Walk of Life and Money for Nothing seem so dated to me that they both sound like novelty songs. Only the initial intro on MFN still seems cool. As soon as the MK starts singing, I really only can think of the video.

Does anybody think the lead guitar is too concentrated in the left speakers?

splinter7 said:
Does anybody think the lead guitar is too concentrated in the left speakers?

My impression as well. On my first listen, I thought I would need to re-balance my front speakers.

bugdaddy said:
How long did it take to arrive?

It took only 5 days to arrive (including the weekend!). I was pretty surprised how fast it came. I recommend buying from them, especially how cheap the DS disc was compared to other dealers.

ICK

Back