HiRez Poll Dire Straits - BROTHERS IN ARMS [SACD/DVD-A DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A of Dire Straits - BROTHERS IN ARMS

• Total voters
splinter7 said:
While, I would much rather have Love Over Gold or Making Movies in 5.1, this release certainly is worthy for deeper album cuts. Walk of Life and Money for Nothing seem so dated to me that they both sound like novelty songs. Only the initial intro on MFN still seems cool. As soon as the MK starts singing, I really only can think of the video.

Does anybody think the lead guitar is too concentrated in the left speakers?

I agree with that as well, that is why I didn't give it a 10. That, and it seemed to me MK's vocals on a couple of tracks (especially So Far Away) seemed kinda dry.

ICK

Also in agreement there.
I find that I am more critical with the 5.1 mixes on older material than the mixes on new material. I am much more open to the mix on the music I am not as familiar with.

splinter7 said:
I find that I am more critical with the 5.1 mixes on older material than the mixes on new material. I am much more open to the mix on the music I am not as familiar with.
Weird, I am the complete opposite. I am MUCH more forgiving of retroactive surround-sound mixes (that were not recorded with surround-sound in mind in the first place) than I am of "modern" surround-sound mixes.

I EXPECT the best out of new music mixed for surround-sound and I HOPE for the best out of old music mixed for surround-sound.

Ick said:
I agree with that as well ... it seemed to me MK's vocals on a couple of tracks (especially So Far Away) seemed kinda dry.
EXCELLENT! I can't wait to hear this title (I have it on order from Amazon UK). To me, the term "dry" means "no added distortion". I love pure, clean, unaltered vocals direct from the master tape (a la "Tommy" DVD-A and SACD).

Cai, I also expect the best sound out of today’s new releases.
I guess what I am clumsily trying to say is that when I have no expectations as to how the music mix is going to sound, I am less likely to say “boy that lead guitar focused in the upper right speakers sure seems odd in this 5.1 mix.”

Take the song Money for Nothing from “Brothers in Arms”. After hearing the song for 20 years in a two channel mix, my mind expects to hear a more balanced two channel attack of the signature intro. When playing the 5.1 mix for the first time, I was expecting that same signature intro to be even more massive in the glory of surround. But the 5.1 mix (IMO) kind of levels the playing field of all the instruments into respective regions. What I now hear is that same signature guitar intro locked up and confined.

Now take for example Peter Gabriel’s most recent release UP. Because the 5.1 mix was the first mix I heard, I had no pre-conceived notion as to what the music should sound like to my ears. The discrete placement of instruments in the various sound fields seems natural to me. Now the reverse of my concern is true. I can not listen to the stereo mix of UP in my car or portable device without thinking, “boy that lead guitar sure sounds odd balanced between the speakers and not sneaking up from behind in the rears.”

Not that any of this is overly bad. Brothers in Arms is still awesome in surround. It will just take some time getting adjusted to hearing the new mix of some of the more memorable songs.

With all that being said, I would just like to make mention of a few 5.1 “catalog” releases that I think did an exceptional job of augmenting the stereo mix into5.1 sound without greatly altering the original “feel” of the songs.

1. Roxy Music – Avalon
2. PT- In Absentia
3. PF – Dark Side of the Moon
4. The Donald Fagan releases

And one mix that absolutely ruined the song: Slave To Love on the recent Boys & Girls SACD

splinter7 said:
Ah, gotcha! Makes perfect sense. The more familiar you are with the stereo mix, the more sensitive you will be to deviations from it that are apparent in the surround mix. Am I understanding you correctly?

Personally, I welcome radical departures from the stereo mix. I don't feel that surround mixes should be tied in any way to their stereo predecessors. In fact, the more striking the departure the more I enjoy them! However, I realized I'm probably in the minority in this regard.

I've lost count of how many times I've played this one since I got home monday a.m....but enough times to state emphatically that it is indeed a 10. My brother has just heard it and has been effectively blown away, also....:banana:

Yep, we need more like this, more often! (y)

ED :)

Without reading this thread first:

I just got my copy from the UK on Friday, what a splendid mix this is. I rated it a 9, but I could have given a 10, I am just really not much on giving 10's as that means there is no room for improvement and while I can't think of anything they could have done better right off, I am sticking to a 9.

The song Brothers in Arms might be my favorite song on the disk and I loved the mix.

I think I might have gotten another friend into surround with this disc. She could not believe how great it sounds. She also was very impressed with the Roxy/Ferry discs. She wants me to go with her to upgrade her system for DVD-A/SACD..... (y)
But had to break the news to her about the lack of good rock/popular titles coming out. She didn't care..."Just bring it on" :banana:

magnificent mix ! much deserved too since this is a corner stone in rock history .

i always believe that when the actual artist has a role in the surround mixing process , it always has a better feel to it . Mark Knopfler knew what he had in mind when he was re-mixing this into 5.1 . Same goes for Steve Wilson (P.Tree) and Trent Reznor (NIN) and many more .

I got this last week (online of course) through a .uk store . But considering that this is unavailable where I live it is SO worth it ! Packaging wise i went ahead and got the digipack version of this , although its not the packaging that counts ... its the breathtaking music hidden inside !

A must buy for all SACD owners !

Definitely a 10 because I cannot vote higher. This is THE disc to convince anyone that surround music is the future and THIS is how it should be done.
I ordered from CD-Wow.com in UK and the disc arrived from Hong Kong. It was $18.18 with FREE shipping, I'm VERY pleased.

Step 1: Strap skeptic, stereo lunatic or feeble surround mixing engineer into chair.
Step 2: Play Brothers In Arms SACD completely
Step 3: Tell the subject "this is how surround music is supposed to be done"

Very good music and very good surround mix, but i could give it only a 9 {which is still a good vote}. I listened to it 3 times before i voted to see if it would grow on me, but it stayed the same, a 9. I hope we get more Dire Straits in surround. :)

This is one of the best Multi Channel SACD's I have ever heard. The recording quality is fantastic and the mix is very well done. Plenty going on in the rears but never strays to much from the spirit of each tune. I thought 'Why Worry' sounds even more interesting and enjoyable than ever in Multi Channel. Brilliant. :D

Highly recommended to all Dire Straits fans. 10/10

(y)

Just got done listening to it, and wow! What a cool mix! I have never owned the album, so I wasn't familiar with all the tracks except of course for the three hits. What really blew me away was that I never knew that Sting was on the "Money For Nothing" song, but as soon as I heard the background vocals there was no doubt.

daved64 said:
ME TOO!
because I thought the first 2 songs were a bit bass shy

I just got this from CDWow. I thought the 1st track, So Far Away, on the CD had more prominent transient drum attacks than the SACD. The drums seemed almost muffled on the SACD. But as I listened to all the music, this SACD really stands out!

I used to play the CD for So Far Away, Money for Nothing, Walk of Life, and Why Worry. Now, its Ride Across the River and BIA. Outstanding!!!:sun The textures, separation, and vocals are great.

IME, Top-notch mix and engineering. I listened to Knopfler's Sailing to Philadelphia a few weeks ago and really hope he brings more Dire Straits to multichannel SACD. I give BIA a 10.

ss9001

Back