HiRez Poll Dire Straits - BROTHERS IN ARMS [SACD/DVD-A DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A of Dire Straits - BROTHERS IN ARMS

• Total voters
Good music, good 5.1-mix, bad mastering. If you put this one on after listening to a good and well balanced mastering, your ears will bleed. It differs from song to song - the title song is actually pretty good...

Music and mix - 7/8
Mastering - 3
Total verdict - 5

SACD or DVDA ?

My ears did not bleed while listening to this...which album do you recommend before listening this one to have that much needed effect? ;)

I am referring to the SACD. Have not heard the DVD-A but I am sceptical about all reported differences between those formats if the source is the same... I have several titles in both formats and I honestly could not tell the difference in a "blind" test.

The reason I responded in this thread is that I recently had a an evening for myself and my music listening and I happened to listen to the following discs:
1. King Crimson "Lark's Tongue..." DVD-Audio 5.1
2. Dire Straits "S/T" SHM-SACD 2 channel
3. Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" SACD 5.1

The Crimson disc is the icing of the cake among all the 40th anniversary versions - unbelievably good for a 40 years old recording. Dire Straits' debut album happens to be my favorite by them and I am really impressed by the separation, distinct base and smooth highs this disc offer.

Over to BIA - I had high hopes when I heard that BIA should be released on SACD and I remember how deeply dissappointed I was when I first heard it. When the first track (So far away from here??) was playing I had to check my gear - the sound I heard was everything but a distinct and well defined sound. The base is very bloated on that track IMHO and that is not a good thing in my book. The other songs differ from song to song but overall it is honestly one of the worse HiRez discs I own, so I am very suprised at all the praise it gets in this thread.

To give you some references, here are some of my favorite discs (all 5.1):
Beck "Sea Change"
Beatles "Love"
Elton "Tumbleweed Connection"
Porcupine Tree "Stupid Dream"
Steven Wilson "Grace for Drowning"
Jethro Tull "Aqualung"
Donald fagen "the Nightfly"
Seal "Best of Acoustic"

I have to say i have only heard the Dual Disc and for me its no ear bleader.

I do remember reading somewhere a long time ago that the producer of the disc through that the DVD format sounded better/was his preferred.

Being that it was recorded mixed originally and mastered in LPCM it would be the purer format of the recording.

I have no problem with your reference discs some good ones in there

i do have DVD-A (Dual Disc) and as well found it is slightly overheated at top end. haven't heard SACD but it should
be similar since both from same source.

p.s. in regard of HiRez recording to use as a reference to setup system and usage as an etalon of sound fidelity
i would highly recommend "Moonlight Acoustica" DVD-A, recorded, mixed and mastered by Mark Waldrep of AIX Records.

Sounds good to me also, on a Panasonic Blu-ray player (BDP-10A). I also have the SACD which I don't like as much. Sounds a bit thin compared to the dvd-audio version.

This is another glowing example of just how good a surround sound re-mix of a classic album can be. It's clear, fresh, vibrant and has masses of space, depth and detail without being remotely harsh. Pretty damned close to aural perfection. Why can't they all be this good?

[Based on SACD version]

Why is the SACD and dvd-audio covered by the same poll? Is it just because the surround mix is the same?

This is one that Universal could f*%k up with HFPA. brilliant 5.1 mix plenty of contemporary Videos possibly award winning, so what price a stereo Blu Ray

Just ordered one. I'm guessing it's an SACD because I've seen hybrids listed as "dual disc" in the past. I'll return it if that's the case. I have the SACD and it's excellent of course.

Could be.. I've taken the plunge so will wait and see what turns up in a couple of weeks :)

This is one that Universal could f*%k up with HFPA. brilliant 5.1 mix plenty of contemporary Videos possibly award winning, so what price a stereo Blu Ray

Too right! As I've said on the HFPA Facebook page (scathingly) fairly recently.. "Don't tell me, next you'll be 'proud to present the BDA of Brothers in Arms in glorious stereo'.."

was in doubt between 8 and 9
finally gave it 9
didn't vote on content, just a mix [which is good] and sound [which is quite overwhelming at high range]
don't have SACD version but i guess it sound pretty much same as DualDisc.

I don't think the dvd-audio sounds anything like the SACD. The dualdisc sounds quite a bit better. Hopefully Analogue Productions will offer this one on SACD eventually since they'd at least include the surround mix, unlike MFSL.

Stereo freaks, I highly recommend the MFSL SACD version.

I have the SACD. It took 3 players to find one that played the 5.1 layer properly. Pioneer BluRay players are crap SACD players, avoid. Only plays in 2.0

For those interested in the dualdisc version, there are at least three reasonably priced copies here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009WFF7M...TF8&colid=2RS9MFDKCMLJ0&coliid=I1QJXZXHUF5TQU

Received the disc today and...it is indeed the dualdisc version, gently used. Gave it a quick test spin and it loads and plays just fine. The outer paper sleeve does have lines through the UPC but the sleeve is a bonus as far as I'm concerned. I've been discouraged by the high prices on this one so this is a good deal (US$19.66) for a disc I've been looking for for some time. Big thanks to GabeL specifically and QQ in general.

Back