Dark Side of the Moon SACD Pushed Back to 3/25

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought that the release date was very soon, since it had been changed to SACD. Remember, that most release dates are really "wishfull thinking".

:-jon

Well, if they were still working on the 5.1 remix during the CES time frame - not to mention the cover artwork, the delay to 3/25 is not surprising.

Brian Moura wrote :

"Well, if they were still working on the 5.1 remix during the CES time frame - not to mention the cover artwork, the delay to 3/25 is not surprising."

I mean. What's there to add to the cover artwork? The SACD and the STEREO / MULTICHANNEL logos? I can understand wanting to get the surround mix right to avoid the situation of a product withdrawal (DVD-A Queen - A Night at the Opera) first release, which apparently was awful, but a delay on cover artwork??? Does EMI envisage something else other than the familiar prism on a black background? I can only suggest that as this is supposed to be a world wide release and they intend to release an LP version at the same time, one can only guess what the real reason(s) might be :(

I've waited years to replace my very aged and somewhat worn out SQ LP - a few more weeks ain't gonna make that much different. However I would like to hear the SACD before I get run over by a truck or die of old age - whichever comes first :)

Cheers,
Alan

The original DSOTM artist was hired to do some new artwork for the 30th Anniversary release.

That plus the new 5.1 mix, replicating a large number of the disc, etc. provides several places which may have led to the change in release date.

Since the Rolling Stones SACD series was delayed from their original date as well, I don't think the delay in the DSOTM SACD is terribly surprising.

I dunno, I think the "stained glass" artwork looks kinda cool! Hell, I don't mind them messing with the artwork. I like that kind of stuff. I mean, I collect different versions of Pink Floyd albums and singles from all over the world, and the coolest part about it (for me) is seeing the different types or variations of the artwork. They altered the artwork a bit for the 20th anniversary release as well. This is a more severe facelift, but it is still true to the original. Yeah, I like it!

Does anyone know if the l.p.will be SQ or just stereo, no info from what I saw? More than likely plain stereo!
Would make a nice collectors item unopened thou!
Rob

Wouldn't it be cool if it was the first LP to be encoded with DPLII?? A fitting tribute to its quadraphonic legacy.

:-jon

I think that's unlikely. Jim Fosgate developed a new 5-2-5 encoding system to go along with Pro Logic II and licensed that to Dolby. To date, it hasn't been made available.

I get the impression that Dolby is promoting Dolby Digital and Dolby Headphone these days, not new PL II encoders.

Right. I'm guessing it will be close to the Acoustic Sounds artwork.

We'll know in a little more than a month...

-

Back