Finally I decoded QS recordings with Adobe Audition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lucanu said:
you can copy and paste that particular operation.

But...tadaaaaaaa

here it is my brand new corrected-enhanced-tweaked script:

it contains both SQ and QS; SQ is the winopener's as is, but the QS is modded and tweaked.

Thanks to Dylan which has done a very good one, but I thought it could be tweaked a little more, so I did.
I will give your new script a try when I have a chance.

I think there are still some tweaks that can be done to improve this script, same with the SQ Script. In fact, I have an idea that might improve winopener's SQ Script. I'm going to test my idea out, and if it does work, I'll post it.

great Dylan.
I also received AA2.0 today, and I'm trying to play with it.
Sadly, old 1.5 scripts won't work.

One more thing, just a try:

run my last script with pause at dialogs;
when CCE is open "add" the first one as "QS front"
and then go straight.
When you are asked to do CCE again for the rears, add it as "QS rear".
Now go on with the script.
Go to multitrack mode, and add 2 identical tracks (i.e: testqs.mp3)
Click "fx1" and add the CCE and load your QS front setup.
Do it again for "fx2", but with your "QS rear" setup.
Now go to multichannel mode (Ctrl+E)
Set Track 1 to FL+FR, and Track 2 to Ls+Rs.
Play all tracks and you'll have a "live" preview of what Qs should sound.
Rear channels are not restored in phase, just because it requires too much power that my P4 3000HT won't even start.

Lucanu,
there's a little addition to do on the SQ script: rear channels are out of phase, so rear left must pass with a +90 shift, rear right a -90 shift.

I had the chance to decode Do It Again by Steely Dan from QS using all three QS scripts Lucanu, Dylan, and Andreas). Although I like the results of all three (they all sound very nice in the end), I think I still like Dylan's script with no pan/expand. To my ears it just sounds a little "tighter" with almost the same amount if discreteness from front to rear. The Pan/Expand step seems to add a bit of "watery" sound. Maybe it's just my ears.

Since Bob mentioned my script, I thouht I attach it here for whoever wants to play with it. It comes (inside the ZIP) with a small write-up on how to use it.

It takes a slightly different approach than the others, i.e. it cross-talk cancels 'over the cross', that is LF - Rs and Ls - Rf.

Cheers,
Andreas

Attachments

• QSDecoding_Audition.zip
    12.9 KB · Views: 206
Off topic: Now, the next thing we need is a script which improves UHJ, i.e. to convert matrixed UHJ (2 channel) into horizontal B-format (W,X,Y). That way, we could bring new life to all these nice Nimbus records :)

Andreas

I've played around with this some more today, and I've been very happy with the results.

I decoded the Four Tops "Main Street People" from start to finish, and it seems to have worked very well! The background vocals are firmly placed in the rears, while the lead vocal is solidly up front. The only "leak" between the front and back is a bit of reverb (which I think is actually part of the original mix and not a decoding artifact).

I have a few more ideas to try in an effort to enhance it a bit more... but so far I like what I've heard!

I've had SACD for years but bought my first SQ album today so only just now getting into all this.

Anyway, it made me wonder: with the no doubt extremely powerful DSPs that modern AV receivers are based on, wouldn't it make sense for one of the audio brands to offer SQ decoding as one of the features/options?

Jens said:
I've had SACD for years but bought my first SQ album today so only just now getting into all this.

Anyway, it made me wonder: with the no doubt extremely powerful DSPs that modern AV receivers are based on, wouldn't it make sense for one of the audio brands to offer SQ decoding as one of the features/options?

It certainly would, but that would just make things too easy.

Dylan Berichon said:
It certainly would, but that would just make things too easy.

Ah, but not easy enough for me. I want the mixes released on SACD or DVD-A! I have to admit that the scripts are great and there is no way I would have ever gotten my turntable out of storage if it weren't for the them.

I have made a major break through with the Adobe Audition 1.5 QS script!!!!!

I'll post a new script once I finalize this.

This is big folks!

Give this script a try.

(I would write one up for Adobe Audition 2.0, but I don't have 2.0 just yet. It's rather expensive for me at this point.)

Attachments

• New Improved QS Script.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 438
Hi all,
I've been reading up on both the SQ and QS Decoding in AA projects here on the forums and I'm very excited by everyone's hard work and dedication to making it happen and then comparing notes with others with the proper math skills and understandings of these concepts until the final results actually work as well as can be expected from 30+ year old encoded matrix technology audio retrieved from vinyl records.

To everyone involved, THANK YOU FOR YOUR HARD WORK!!! :)

That said...
I have Cool Edit Pro 2.0 which I believe is the same as Adobe Audition 2.0, please correct me if I'm wrong about that. I'm trying to determine which AA script versions (AA1.5 or AA2.0 scripts) will work with CEP2.0 and what the final script versions that everyone agrees upon are?

I have three Steely Dan LP's and a Jim Croce that are "Command Quadraphonic" which I heard was really QS without the branding and that RM is the same as QS. Is any or all of that correct?
I really want to properly decode those LP's onto both my Q4 Reel deck and a more modern multi-channel optical based format using something other than a 1970's hardware decoder so any guidance to existing threads and actual posts within them would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Thomas

Hi all,
I've been reading up on both the SQ and QS Decoding in AA projects here on the forums and I'm very excited by everyone's hard work and dedication to making it happen and then comparing notes with others with the proper math skills and understandings of these concepts until the final results actually work as well as can be expected from 30+ year old encoded matrix technology audio retrieved from vinyl records.

To everyone involved, THANK YOU FOR YOUR HARD WORK!!! :)

That said...
I have Cool Edit Pro 2.0 which I believe is the same as Adobe Audition 2.0, please correct me if I'm wrong about that. I'm trying to determine which AA script versions (AA1.5 or AA2.0 scripts) will work with CEP2.0 and what the final script versions that everyone agrees upon are?

I have three Steely Dan LP's and a Jim Croce that are "Command Quadraphonic" which I heard was really QS without the branding and that RM is the same as QS. Is any or all of that correct?
I really want to properly decode those LP's onto both my Q4 Reel deck and a more modern multi-channel optical based format using something other than a 1970's hardware decoder so any guidance to existing threads and actual posts within them would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Thomas
Cool Edit Pro 2.0 is a much different beast then Adobe Audition.

Adobe bought Cool Edit from Syntrellium and turned it into Adobe Audition.

I'm afraid these scripts will not work with your older version of Cool Edit.

Back