Back in Stock - Frankie Goes to Hollywood Surround SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
FYI, the Hybrid Layer Multichannel SACD of "Rage Hard - The Sonic Collection Greatest Hits" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood is now available again via the ZTT Records web site at www.ztt.com/

If you're looking for this SACD, check their web site.

How is this disc? I don't think I have read anything about it other than it is multi-channel. Thanks\

Bob

Sonically it isn't a demo quality SACD. But it does have some fun and aggressive Multichannel mixes and the music is enjoyable British rock.

I like the SACD for the Quad Mix and the content.

I agree with Brian. IHMO there is an improvement on the SACD performance compared to the CD track on the same disc. It was good to hear some of my favourite tracks in surround. Very listenable material if you like FGTH.

Cheers,
Alan

The group's British sense of humor does come through on the disc. I was amused by their interpretation of Do You Know the Way to San Jose. And the sound effects in surround on Welcome to the Pleasuredome are fun as well.

Not a sonic demo for the SACD format. But enjoyable musically and for the surround mix.

Can you buy the FGTH SACD in normal stores - or just via the ZTT website. £19 is a bit of a sting for a single SACD!!

Howard

It's been available in the past through some of the web stores that carry SACDs as well.

But I have yet to see it in a retail store in the US. Perhaps you'd find it in such a store in the UK since that's where ZTT is based.

Recently received my copy from Amazon.co.uk for £20 (including shipping).

Best part: the disc arrived in <strong>four</strong> days, from England to San Francisco (west coast of the U.S.). Hell, that's faster than most mail deliveries between here and Los Angeles!!!

That is good service. I think my copy took about 7 days from the UK.

You have to give ZTT a hand, they do move fast on those SACD orders !

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Sonically it isn't a demo quality SACD.
[/quote]I bought this SACD based on the review at High Fidelity Review, which gave it high marks. And to me this is one fine sounding SACD.

Brian what do you feel is wrong with this recording? Please recommend a few SACDs that you feel are demo quality.

I enjoy the surround mix on Frankie Goes to Hollywood. But sonically, I think there are better Multichannel SACDs out there.

Some of my favorite Multichannel SACDs would include:
* Grace - Broadway Inspirational Voices
* Kunzel & Cincinnati Pops - Scary Music
* Joe Satriani - Strange Beautiful Music
* Los Angeles Guitar Quartet - LAGQ: Latin
* Alison Krauss & Union Station - New Favorite
* James Taylor - Hourglass
* Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
* Natalie Cole - Ask A Woman Who Knows
* Diana Krall - When I Look In Your Eyes
* Diana Krall - Look of Love
* Helmut Lotti - My Tribute to the King
* Mark O' Connors Hot Swing Trio - In Full Swing
* Eden Atwood - Waves: The Bossa Nova Sessions

The disc is in stock in the normal bins at HMV Oxford Street, London. They operate a policy of sticking DVD-A and SACD in with the normal stock.

Bought this disc via mail order - sound quality is fair but nowhere as near as wonderful as Bowie's "Heathen". It's a bit brash but the effects are nice and it opens the music up considerably. The original stereo version (which I have) sounds like a Phil Spector mix compared to the quad version!

Still it's nice to have a newish SACD to balance my bigger pile of DVD-A's (just bought a dual player SACD/DVD-A as I had to switch cables everytime I played a different format! Reminds me of my CD4, SQ and QS days....

Howard
March 03

Agreed. The surround mix on Frankie Goes to Hollywood's "Rage Hard" is fun, but there are other SACDs with better sonics.

Oh, so this is an old thread. You had me all excited there for a moment. I never did get that SACD. Never will now from the looks of it.

Back