Quad LP/Tape Poll Mitchell, Joni: The Hissing Of Summer Lawns [CD-4/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Quadraphonic release of joni Mitchell - The Hissing of Summer Lawns

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5: So-so

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Joni's sequel to the mega-selling COURT AND SPARK, but not nearly as commercial.

Asylum EQ-1051 was not printed with a special Quad cover; at least, my copy merely has a silver Quad sticker covering the stereo number, essentially.

Joni Hissing.jpg
Joni Hissing.jpg

Side 1:

1. In France They Kiss On Main Street
2. The Jungle Line
3. Edith And The Kingpin
4. Don't Interrupt The Sorrow
5. Shades Of Scarlet Conquering

Side 2:

1. The Hissing Of Summer Lawns
2. The Boho Dance
3. Harry's House-Centerpiece
4. Sweet Bird
5. Shadows And Light

Last edited by a moderator:
I have this on both Q8 and CD-4. The Q8 is definitely the way to go with much more separation.

This album along with "Court And Spark" are two of my all-time faves!!!

Side one especially on HOSL is just so special to me. Beautifully dark chords and Joni singing her heart out. I have probably listened to this album at least 100 times over the years and I never get tired of it.

A 10 all the way from me.

Last edited:
This album is the perfect example of how innovative Joni could/can be! And I think the CD-4 sounds terrific!

It is a strange but irresistable experience listening to this as she lures you in.

Another 10.

Doug

Definitely a great album. It's like watching movie shorts. "A woman must have everything". I very much enjoy the chord progression in Shades. I get mental pictures of her from The Last Waltz whenever I hear her sing - serious with a laugh lurking just beneath.

Joni's a genius. Those stickers gave me a sinking feeling, like waiting for an SQ of Boston that never came. Have this on Q8 & CD-4. I've listened mostly to the Q8, but prefer the CD-4 today because of fidelity. Bought the Q8 the day I got my Q8 & auto-reverse cassette installed in my new Buick Regal. The wonder of slide mounts. Stylin' This album definitely explores some new ground. Very admirable. Works. Ladies of the Canyon is still my fave Joni. I prefer the Quad Court & Spark to this. Still, it's one of her better albums. Like Bob Romano, I've listened to this over a hundred times.

Linda
They Pave Paradise and Put Up a Parking Lot, ah haha haha ha

I've had the CD-4 of this hanging around for awhile and only just finished listening to it for the first time. Had to vote 10! Excellent mix, awesome music. I prefer this album (and quad mix) over Court and Spark - love it when Joni gets a little more adventurous.
------ Chris

I'm probably too familiar with C&S by now to love it in the same way, even in quad...HISSING is still fun to hear if only because I never played it that much--not because it was challenging so much as it lacked (intentionally, I'd bet) the pop appeal of the previous million-seller (her first, actually). But I wish quad had lasted a tad longer just to hear HEJIRA in MC, since it remains my fave Joni album.

ED :)

Yeah, that would have been wonderful Ed.

"Blue" too.

BTW, Joni is skating on Lake Mendota in Madison, Wisconsin on and in the Hejira cover.

Doug

Listening to this right now on my day off. 'Don't Interrupt The Sorrow' is one of my all time favourite Joni Mitchell songs and it's never sounded better than it does here - the middle eight breaks down beautifully in quad and the way the mix splits off her backing 'oohs' and 'aahs' is superb. A lesson in perfect engineering and mixing.

Agree with you all. This grows on you slowly and gets more appreciated as you get older I found. i actually prefer it to Court and Spark now but it was the other way around for long time. Sign of a great piece of work in my view is that it may not be instantly lovable but slowly insinuates itself into you. Those are the ones you never tire of.

The sound is also really really good considering its a Q8. (At least my copy)

kenny the canuck

This was the first Joni Mitchell album i owned; it came out during my freshman year in high school. My fascination with the release resulted in my buying everything that preceded it and each subsequent release. Maybe because it was my first exposure to Mitchell, maybe because it is her best, this remains my favorite album of hers. And now i have it in Quad . . . and it sounds as fresh and vital as it did the first time i dropped needle to vinyl. What a release! What a mix!

The album's opening track, "In France They Kiss On Main Street," made me think Mitchell was taking Court and Spark to the next level, but the Moog march, Burundi beat enveloping of "The Jungle Line" takes a decidedly left turn and the magic is just beginning. My adolescent self was transfixed by the lyric and delivery of "Edith and the Kingpin." The Quad mix does not disappoint--pure, lush magic. Then acoustic strumming and conga drumming announce the lyrical sophistication of "Don't Interrupt the Sorrow," the musicians filling the room, illuminating the lyric. The flac is playing as i type, and i seriously can't concentrate: Joni's genius demands my attention. Suffice it to say that this is one of my all-time favorites.

Damn, i just sank into the sweet spot and let it all wash over me. Mitchell's multi-tracked vocals on "Shadows and Light" are pouring out of the corners of the room. i grabbed the gatefold album from my basement to relive the glorious daze when listening to an album was a total experience involving perusing the artwork and liner notes. I had forgotten Mitchell's cryptic assessment:

This record is a total work conceived graphically, musically, lyrically and accidentally--as a whole. The performances, were guided by the given compositional structures and the audibly inspired beauty of every player. The whole unfolded like a mystery. . . .

no mystery as to my vote on this one

Last edited:
Back