HiRez Poll Foo Fighters - IN YOUR HONOR [DVD-A (DualDisc) ]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Foo Fighters - IN YOUR HONOR

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments! (y) (n)

Attachments

• foo.jpg
    foo.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 696
It is 2 Dual Disc release. The acoustic songs are not reworkings of the harder songs. There are 10 new harder edge songs and 10 new acoustic type songs.
The harder edge on one disc, the softer on another.

Disc 1, side 1 has the full throttle songs in standard stereo.
Disc 1, side 2 has the full throttle songs in enhanced stereo and NTSC video documentary.

Disc 2, side 1 has the acoustic type songs in standard stereo.
Disc 2, side 2 has the acoustic songs in enhanced stereo & 5.1.

Last edited:
Love it! I can't hardly believe we've got true DVD-A from SonyBMG---at least for the acoustic disc. Thankyou, somebody! Liner notes say the acoustic disc was mixed by Elliot Schiener and mastered for high-resolution by Bob Ludwig.

I like both discs very much. The surround DVD-A is subtle but very effective. And the songs are darned catchy!! Too bad there is no surround of the harder songs. But it is indeed DVD-A.... maybe BMG isn't as brain dead as SONY.

I am likeing the Second disc very much Plesent surround mix, in keeping with the more acoustic atributes of the music.
It is ultimatly a shame that the harder first disc is not in Multi channel as well, and not a particularly hi rez stereo, my DVD player says 48/16.

My marks are for disc two only as it is the only Hi rez Multichannel disc in the package.
music 8.5 sound 8.5 total 8.5 so i will round it up to 9 :banana:

If it was on both discs then Music would stillbe 8.5 but the first disc sound gets a 6 :mad:

I would give it a 10 for the BMG part of Sony BMG going out on a limb and supporting True DVD-A :sun

Last edited:
And the Dual Disc sticker looks so stupid.
"One disc, two experiences" ... on a two disc package :eek:

Last edited:
Ge Someone said:
And the Dual Disc sticker looks so stupid.
"One disc, two experiences" ... on a two disc package :eek:

Not at all since the two discs are both DualDiscs !

"two discs, four experiences" then ;)

I listened to this one last night. Great package, great music and great production. I too agree that it is a shame that the "full throttle" disc does not offer surround-sound. The acoustic disc is very nice and the surround mix is quite good but could be better. All things considered I'll give this one 8 points.

I too was very pleased to see an honest-to-God DVD-A from SonyBMG. That's great. I love this disc. I have the DualDisc set and also have it in a 4-LP box set with color booklet. The vinyl sounds better than the DVD "enhanced stereo" for the electric stuff, in my opinion. But you can't beat the surround sound mix for the acoustic stuff. A solid 10!

Disc 2 is superb. Great mix by ES, as usual. Dave Grohl is a friggin genius. I love his voice. He has a melancholy tone when he sings. Very under-rated singer. The songs are excellent. Nice to see a band that usual rocks out take things a little easy. Versatile band! A 10 !

I can't play disc 1 in my Denon 1920. Disc error! I just wanted to see how the "advanced res" stereo sounded. Might try copying it and see if the backup works.

I think I should only rate the DVD-A disc in this poll.
I got this cheap as the shop discounted some unsold copies before the new Foo Fighters CD was released (which is BTW an "unplugged" live album, much in the same vein as the accoustic disc of this package).
It is a nice laidback disc, something I didn't expect from the Fighters. The LOUD CD compares as night and day :)

Does anyone know what the sampling rate is for enhanced stereo disc? Is it 48/24?

And then is the DVD-A 5.1 mix in MLP 96/24?

THANKS!!!

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the sampling rate is for enhanced stereo disc? Is it 48/24?

And then is the DVD-A 5.1 mix in MLP 96/24?

THANKS!!!

The enhanced stereo disc is 16bit/48khz.

I am pretty sure the DVD-A 5.1 mix is 24bit/96khz.

That is so bizarre that they would even bother upping the sampling rate to 48khz without moving to a 24bit depth. :(

Oh well, I just ordered this disc regardless. I'll post on the poll in a couple days.

I watched eBay for some time before finding it. The first copy I bought was the CD - so if you go the eBay route (or Amazon marketplace for that matter) make sure to ask the sellers if there is artwork on the DualDiscs :rolleyes: I wound up paying about new price for a very nice used copy. A few days ago I saw a copy with BIN on eBay for $5 and the description made me think the seller knew what a DualDisc is, though you should never assume people know anything.

This disc is definitely worth tracking down. Track one on the DVD side of disc 2 is worth the price of admission alone, in my book. The added bonus of its anomaly status (Sony/BMG disc with full DVD-A) is cool too, if you're a geek like me.

I'm pretty sure the surround mix is 24/96. I'll double check when I get a chance.

I give this release an 8. (Excellent sonics, excellent mix, good music)

Back