HiRez Poll Krall, Diana - WHEN I LOOK INTO YOUR EYES [DVD-A/SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Diana Krall - WHEN I LOOK INTO YOUR EYES

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
PLease post your thoughts and comments.............(y) :phones (n)

This album is that rare beast - thoroughly well thought out and beautifully recorded. I have the DVD-A here, which features almost the whole album in 24/96 5.1 and with one extra track in 24/96 stereo. There is a Dolby Digital version included but as seems to be common practise the better quality DTS version is noticeably absent.

Right from track 1 - which is a superb rework of the Irving Berlin classic "Lets face the music & dance", done for a change as a well crafted and arranged song rather than the usual jokey treatment it is sometimes given - to the closing Gerrge Gershwin track "Do it again", this album oozes quality.
The recording and mix is also very well made, not too aggressive, not too subtle, you get the impression that Diana Krall & her band are playing in your room for you. The only thing that slightly mars the image is the very minor amount of 2" tape hiss that can just about be heard during some of the quieter moments - but better this than too much NR destroying the detail.
Downsides? Not many really - but there is an irritating omission, which is the final track is in stereo only. "Why should I care" by Clint Eastwwood, Carol Bayer sager & Linda Thompson. A great track that should have been included in the surround mixes.

There is also a video for the opener, which rounds off the whole package very nicely.

Recommended. You can understand why Elvis Costello married her. A very under rated talent who should sell bucketloads of records.

I own the SACD and it is very good but the music isn't quite as good and the surround mix not quite as good as "The Girl in the Other Room" in my opinion, and that DVD-A got a 9, but there is no 8.5 option available here so this gets an 8. I love Diana Krall but don't plan any further purchases, it is time to move on to other jazz artists but I will continue to play my 2 DVD's, 2 CD's, 1 DVD-A and this SACD. A wonderful talent and I still think "All for You" is her best recording. All recordings I have are first rate with the DVD-V's excellent for that format and easily get as much play as the high resolution recordings for me since she is also nice to watch.

Chris

I missed this when it first came out.. and getting a DVDA now (which I'd prefer out of the formats) either new or mint is nigh-on impossible. I have all her other MCs and think, just like her, they're gorgeous!

Back