Comments Inspired by Wayne, Jeff - WAR OF THE WORLDS [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugdaddy

400 Club - QQ All-Star
To Poll .png
If anybody's thinking of getting this, yourmusic.com just posted it for $11.98. it doesn't specifically state it's the sacd, but i think it was only released that way, wasn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
bugdaddy said:
if anybody's thinking of getting this, yourmusic.com just posted it for $11.98. it doesn't specifically state it's the sacd, but i think it was only released that way, wasn't it?

I am under the same impression that it was a single-inventory Hybrid SACD. However, I do have concerns that Yourmusic.com didn't make mention of an SACD layer. Usually they do: I'm thinking in terms of other single-inventory hybrids where they have always stated that the discs were SACDs---The Dylans, EJ's GBYBR Deluxe edition. Knowing that they do press some of their discs themselves it wouldn't shock me if they somehow just went with a regular CD. But... On the other hand, I actually ordered it yesterday hoping that it would indeed be the SACD (perhaps if I got it early enough I might even get one of the retail copies?). But then I checked my email today and Yourmusic told me it was on backorder. So I just cancelled it. Even if it were to have been an SACD, I just wasn't all that excited about this title. So I backed out. I'll be interested to learn exactly what kind of disc Yourmusic has, though, if anyone else decides to try for it.

yourmusic.com has a release date of 1978 listed, so that's not the SACD. (n)

Hi Kaz.

I have more doubts about the record industry and its approach to Hi-Res. When this hybrid SACD came out last year it was advertised on TV (in the UK) and the "stunningly remixed in surround" statement was contained in all the blurb. However, when it was advertised again on TV for the Christmas market, it was just "stunningly remixed" and no mention of the surround sound. I don't understand why it was changed. Since the disc plays in a CD player anyway it would have been a great way to encourage those who buy it to think about hearing it in surround as well. The sticker is still on the sleeve, but will it mean much to most people? I wonder what Jeff Wayne thought about dropping the surround reference when he spent so many hours piecing it all together in 5.1??!!

omega4 said:
I have more doubts about the record industry and its approach to Hi-Res. When this hybrid SACD came out last year it was advertised on TV (in the UK) and the "stunningly remixed in surround" statement was contained in all the blurb. However, when it was advertised again on TV for the Christmas market, it was just "stunningly remixed" and no mention of the surround sound. I don't understand why it was changed.

Perhaps because of the massive amounts of people buying it, putting the discs in standard CD players and then going "where the hell is the surround sound they advertised??"

The sticker on the cover does not make it at ALL clear that you need a SACD player to hear the surround mix.

We're educated about it all here. The general public is not, and this was a single-inventory release.

Just last night I was having a conversation about SACD with a non-SACD friend, and pointed out that you can't play SACDs on a computer.

"Yes you can," he said. "I bought War Of The Worlds and it's a SACD, and it plays fine on my computer!"

I eventually got him understanding the concept of the Redbook CD layer. It wasn't an easy lesson.

wonder what Jeff Wayne thought about dropping the surround reference when he spent so many hours piecing it all together in 5.1??!!

Well, Gary Langan did many more hours on it than Jeff :)

omega4 said:
I voted this a 9. I agree with the comments about disc 1 being more accessible than disc 2. But the opening up of the sound stage in surround makes this an essential album.

I am going to the live show at the Albert Hall next April and I only hope it is as special as this release. For those outside the UK, Jeff Wayne is taking WOTW on tour, a dress rehearsal and 12 (virtually sold out) shows. And, of course, Justin Hayward is appearing. I don't think it would work without him. I'm not sure if Jeff Wayne is planning to go to other parts of the world. If not it can only be because of the risk of bumping into martians! :alienrob: :mad:@: (He may have seen Spielberg's version!) There is to be a live DVD.

I went to the show in Cardiff last night and you're in for a real treat - great sound and all the performers are spot on - a real multi-media experience! Have fun but take plenty of money if you're going to buy any of the souvenirs.

Saw the show at the Royal Albert Hall last night. Funnily enough I felt a bit disappointed when it started because it seemed to be just the same as the album. I have always wondered about live performances so technically good that they are just like the album. However, after a few minutes I really started to appreciate the performances. And it is a full surround presentation with three effects speakers providing left, centre and right rear sounds. Great theatre too.

Also it was great to see Justin Hayward again, as well as Chris Thompson who I've not seen live for twenty years or so ( Manfred Mann's Earthband, but never in surround.) A nice surprise was seeing Laurie Wisefield, ex-Home and Wishbone Ash. I had just played Home's second album to my son on Sunday telling him how good a guitarist LW is, and blow me he turns up at the gig two days later!

omega4 said:
Also it was great to see Justin Hayward again, as well as Chris Thompson who I've not seen live for twenty years or so ( Manfred Mann's Earthband, but never in surround.)

I saw Chris Thompson last December when he played together with Manfred Mann at the Nokia Night of the Prom in Frankfurt/Germany. This concert series takes place each year and features some well-known pop/rock artists (mostly those whe were famous in the 70s or 80s ;)) along with a symphony orchastra and a large choir. It's always a lot of fun :D

Best regards,
Oliver

I have this on compact cassette two tapes, but I’m wondering as to which format this encoded in, will it playback on Dolby Digital? I would very much like to buy this classic on CD.:)

The concert DVD is due for release on Monday (6th). There doesn't seem to be any info on the WotW site about sound formats but I would assume that Dolby 5.1 would be a minimum given the quality of the surround sound used at the concerts. I'll post further info once my copy arrives.(y)

It's an SACD, so there is no DD or DTS surround component. You need an SACD 5.1 player with a 6 Ch in capable receiver (unless you have iLink or Denon Link).

JonUrban

Cheers for that information I’ve now twigged on to what you are saying mate, SONY make a few DVD players with (SACD) capabilities looks like a little trip to the Ebay in the future to see if theirs a cheap model going around, again thinks for making that part clear to me.(y)

Cheers also Matt.(y)

My copy of the new DVD has arrived and it's fabulous. It's one of the best filmed concerts that I've seen and the DTS surround mix is terrific, very active and involving (there's also DD 2 and 5.1 mixes) with the rears being used for all sorts of effects and instruments. I'm reluctant to say that it's better than the original album but the surrounds are much more active and the live concert adds a lot more edge to the playing - I always preferred part 1 over part 2 but the performances in the new part 2 mean I'll be playing it a lot more now. Highly recommended (but I think it's only available in PAL at the moment) and a great surround experience.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

I an playing this for the first time on my relatively new yamaha av receiver and no matter what decoder I put on it will not play in 5.1, even the “standard” mode which plays everything in surround by way of upmixing doesn’t show as anything other than stereo, normally I can access the different inputs through the tools button on the remote to change from dts to pcm to stereo etc but there’s no way to get in to the disc (obviously because it’s an sacd rather than blu ray or dvd), can anyone help?

I an playing this for the first time on my relatively new yamaha av receiver and no matter what decoder I put on it will not play in 5.1, even the “standard” mode which plays everything in surround by way of upmixing doesn’t show as anything other than stereo, normally I can access the different inputs through the tools button on the remote to change from dts to pcm to stereo etc but there’s no way to get in to the disc (obviously because it’s an sacd rather than blu ray or dvd), can anyone help?
Which player do you have? Most have a convert SACD DSD to PCM option for the output in their set-up options.

One other thought have you got your player set-up to default to the Multi-channel option, or have you tried pushing the Audio button on the player remote to switch between multi & stereo? They will only play one or the other layer.

It’s a yamaha HTR-2071 model, I have looked at all options and cannot find anything like this
I can find the manual on a Samsung UBD-M9000 and it won't play SACDs so if that is the one you're only going to hear the CD layer not any of the SACD.

One other thought have you got your player set-up to default to the Multi-channel option, or have you tried pushing the Audio button on the player remote to switch between multi & stereo? They will only play one or the other layer.

I cant do anything at all, the sacd starts playing as soon as I put it in, the only buttons it responds to are stop, start, fast forward etc, impossible to change the audio

I can find the manual on a Samsung UBD-M9000 and it won't play SACDs so if that is the one you're only going to hear the CD layer not any of the SACD.

Okay, thanks for your help, it does upmix but it’s not the same as the direct 5.1, thankfully this is the only sacd I have, this will stop me buying any others I was thinking of.

Sorry for the confusion on model numbers, I got the blu ray player and receiver mixed up

Last edited:
Back