HiRez Poll Wayne, Jeff - WAR OF THE WORLDS [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Jeff Wayne - WAR OF THE WORLDS

• Total voters
To Comments.png

I got this out to play again tonight before rating it (if you haven't worked out I'm going through my entire collection before I rate them on QQ) and I find myself completely blown away by it, so much so that I really cannot work out why I haven't played this more than I have since buying it!

Isn't this exactly what surround sound was created for? A huge epic of an album, groundbreaking when it first came out and now earth shattering in 5.1. The use of the surround channels for both audio and effects is very well thought through and hence very effective. The clarity, detail, dynamics and balance are all as close to perfect as you can get. Not only does the mix present the material in all it's glorious detail, it really breathes with no harsh edges or bad fades between channels. What it does is creates a huge soundscape that's complex but not cluttered. Absolutely perfect for the material. Stunning.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife is from Chobham, Surrey and her mum still lives there. Horsell Common is just around the corner and so this album has a particular poignancy to us, especially as we've regaled our children with the story and played the album full whack in the car as we've driven around some of these locations in the story. Trips to Woking and visits to the Fighting Machine and Capsule sculptures have their imaginations running wild and I have to admit, mine too ;)

Anyway, when this re-release was announced, I couldn't wait to get it, especially for this 5.1 SACD mix. I'd read a lot about it and how Gary Langan (of Art of Noise/ZTT fame) and Gaëtan Schurrer restored and remixed the whole thing. There's a really good article in Sound on Sound about the whole process. I saw that there was a Collectors Edition and as the release coincided roughly with my birthday, I decided that my birthday cash would be spent on that. I ventured into Woking town centre, thinking that if anywhere in the country, nay the world, would have the full on Collectors Edition, it would be Woking, a town steeped in WOTW & H.G. Wells lore and history. So imagine my dismay when both Virgin and HMV said they had no stock and could only order it in. Well, as I don't live there, I refused to order it and so picked up the 2 disc SACD version to tide me over. In a way though, it was probably just as well because, some considerable time later, I found a brand new, sealed copy of the collectors edition on eBay for almost half the RRP!

As others have said, this really is a superb example of brilliant and considered multi-channel mixing. It adds to the whole experience, an experience that started so many years before on stereo vinyl. A lot of time and thought has gone into this.

The Collectors edition is a splendid piece, with all the other discs (4 bonus CD's and a DVD documentary) housed in a 12"x12" hardback book with some amazing words and pictures.

Not long ago, they released "The New Generation" version with more contemporary artists and actors and I still can't bring myself to accept it. I appreciate that Jeff Wayne might have wanted to try new things or contemporise it for a younger audience, but my two young kids, who are both under 10, and even my eldest who is in his twenties, love the original, not for who the performers are, but for the incredible story and brilliant storytelling. Now, had they released TNG as a 5.1 SACD, I would almost definitely give it a try, but alas, this wasn't to be.

The original is, in my humble opinion, beyond betterment. It is so ingrained in our culture as to transcend many other similar works. And in 5.1 SACD, it has never sounded so good.

Voted 9 'cause disco kinda sucks, but it's used to silly, fun effect here.
Only thing I can add to previous comments is I prefer disc 2, so don't put off grabbing this in case you think disc 2 isn't worth it.

I love this album since the first time I heard it (in 1978). Bought it because the LP-sleeve looked so good to my eyes. And there was a LP-sized booklet going with it. And the music didn't let me down either. When the orchestra kicked in after Richard Burton's prologue I got goosebumps. Today I see that it's pretty cheesy, but nevertheless I still listen to it with much fun. The surround mix and sound-quality on this sacd are great, so I have to vote 10.
Besides, the same day I bought WotW I also purchased Black Rose by Thin Lizzy which I also liked a lot (still do). So for several weeks this two albums were on heavy rotation in our house, drivin' my then-wife mad....

This masterpiece can only be a solid 10

Everything about it from the opening bars to the epilogue is a total tour de force.
I cannot fault it in any way
I neither would I want to.
Jeff ploughed his heart and soul into this piece of musical genius.
To hear it come alive in glorious surround really takes my breath away.
I makes me smile from ear to ear ..and the other two!!
Richard Burtons dramatic voice just makes it complete.

i go along with wapfu on this one. much of the second disk is just as bombastic and boring as i remember it - - disk 1 remains in heavy rotation, however. and to echo what's been stated by many, great job on the mix throughout.
Agreed disc 2 lost the momentum disc 1 has. I own the CD version and even cassette version from late 1970s

Back