Music DVD Poll Queen - The DVD Collection, Greatest Video Hits

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-V of "Queen - Greatest Video Hits"

• Total voters
Very good sound especially for the early offerings.
Some videos are dated but to have them in one collection makes up for it. (y)

Love the surround mix, and the music is fantastic. I only watched a couple of the videos, I bought it for the surround, not the videos. Maybe someday i will watch some of the others, but i find that watching the videos distracts me from concentrating on the superb surround mix. I seem to not watch the videos on most of the surround Greatest hits video DVD's i buy {sometimes i watch them once just to see them}, but if it is a live concert then i always watch the video and listen to it. I enjoy the video much more if they are actually playing live. But i grew up before there were music videos, so that might have something to do with that. Anyway, love this DVD. :)

>>but if it is a live concert then i always watch the video and listen to it... ...But i grew up before there were music videos, so that might have something to do with that.<<

I grew up with MTV (I vividly recall its lauch day) and LOVED videos - the live concerts of the time really turned me off of most all "live" video performances. The Pioneer Artists LaserDisc releases were the perfect "what not to do" with concert videos - poor sound mic'd from the speakers, poor lighting with tube cameras that had horizontal interference from the high levels of sound in the auditorium, etc... The Knack-Live, Prince and The Revolution, Fleetwood Mac on DiscoVision, Stevie Nicks-Live, ABBA In Concert-Pioneer Import: just a few of the awful 'live' titles released. Only Madonna's LD/DVD concerts are watchable to me (I saw 'Blond Ambition' live at the LA Forum). ABBA on DiscoVision and Queen Greatest Flix made me want audio/video LD albums.

As for Queen, the DVD's are fantastic - and the picture quality is a revelation - true, it's not so great in some parts, but compared to previous releases, it's a night and day improvement; the PAL to NTSC transcoding is fantastic. It's too bad that David Bowie's Greatest Video Hits DVD wasn't remixed into true 5.1 (not the unlistenable 'up-mixing' or 'unwrapping' applied to so many titles nowdays).

As a side note, the original "Queen Greatest Flix" LD was supposed to be SQ encoded via Ruggles-Reber, but they never got access to the master tapes; so, for many years, catalogs (Starship Industries) listed it as SQ even though it really wasn't.

Cheers!
Ty C. :)

I know queen since their death (1991) and I never grew tired. These 4.1 remixes showcase their immaculate musicianship in all their glory. Very vivid, very tight.
And yes, am I the only one? are these not 4.1 mixes except for the "A Night at The Opera" DVD-A mixes, the "Spread your wings" "upmix" and the radio voice on "Flash"?
The Greatest Flix 2 Mixes even manage to make radio gaga listenable again!

You're right, anything not on ANATO are four-channel...which I didn't mind at all, just like the good ol' days...:D

Rating is a '9' here, very listenable, and without the video on, it's like(almost)being back in the '70s....

ED :)

Outstanding.

If this isn't in your collection, I would seriously question your love of surround sound.
I'm not sure it's possible to hate Queen enough not to love this.

(Audio review only. Never watched the vids.)

The nice thing is that you can do audio-only...makes sense for some of those...:D

ED
12041606-Ti.gif

I agree. I voted on this one long ago. Since then I think we've kind of decided that the votes should be on the musical content, in which case my vote was way too low. Videos are BAD, but the music, sonics and mix are anything but.

I wonder what ever happened to the Vol. 3 that was announced at some point in time if I remember correctly?
Would love to hear "Innuendo" in dts 96/24 and, yes, even "you dont fool me" from the more questionable post-mortem output (very disturbing videoclip also)

Has anyone ever decoded these mixes?
With the exception of the ANATO tracks, these are essentially quad mixes.

I saw dts-cds of this floating around some time ago.

I voted 10. If this isn't a 10 I don't know what is. The videos are BAD, says banannaslug.

To me, those videos are the 80s, the cheese in all its glory. It's my childhood.

I saw dts-cds of this floating around some time ago.

I voted 10. If this isn't a 10 I don't know what is. The videos are BAD, says banannaslug.

To me, those videos are the 80s, the cheese in all its glory. It's my childhood.

I didn't mean a decode in that sense of the word - what I should have written was "has anyone else decoded these to WAV files & looked at them?" instead.
With the exception of the Elliot Scheiner tracks, all are essentially in Quad - no centre channel at all.

Definitely a large "10" though. The content is peerless - Freddie was the ultimate front man.
Simply wonderful - if only we could get the rest of the albums in 5.1 - The Works would be great, as would Day at the Races & News of the World.

Definitely a large "10" though. The content is peerless - Freddie was the ultimate front man.
Simply wonderful - if only we could get the rest of the albums in 5.1 - The Works would be great, as would Day at the Races & News of the World.

I agree, i saw them a couple of times and thankfully have a DVD of one of them (Wembley anyone) still waiting for volume 3 of GVH and would love to hear more Queen in surround.

Brian may seemed quite keen at one point but now seems more intent on stereo photography and the stars

Back