Music DVD Poll Peter Gabriel - Greatest Hits

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-V of "Peter Gabriel - Greatest Hits"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 - Poor Mix, Poor Picture, Poor Content

• Total voters
Presuming that this is PLAY the DVD greatest hits package.

this is an example of exactly how good this kind of package can be done. thought in the Mixes. instruments and sound from all speakers but in a way which makes teh music exciting to listen to and not a drain on the senses.

Just listen to BIKO for a room full of sound.

A 10 for the whole package. :banana:

Very intelligent treatment of what is, essentially, just a video comp.

Wish more labels would consider surround mixes for these reissues, especially when the music is complex enough to warrant it (i.e. Talking Heads 'Storytelling Giant.')

Why, then, were the Gabriel SACDs two-channel?

Never noticed that that the Gabriel/Kate Bush "Don't Give Up" is a single unedited take.

The one that I reviewed is the SACD 2 channel offering.
I enjoyed this initially however the play time is scant as compared to the surround mixes that I have collected. This also goes for most of the 2 channel mixes that I own. :smokin

Frantic said:
The one that I reviewed is the SACD 2 channel offering.
I enjoyed this initially however the play time is scant as compared to the surround mixes that I have collected. This also goes for most of the 2 channel mixes that I own. :smokin

Frantic.
Appreciate the effort, but this is not really the place! What we are looking for here are the multichannel reviews from the DVD-V disc, not a stereo SACD!

neil wilkes said:
Frantic.
Appreciate the effort, but this is not really the place! What we are looking for here are the multichannel reviews from the DVD-V disc, not a stereo SACD!

Sorry Neil,

I have not purchased the multi channel version yet. Just thought that I would chime in. I will have to suppress those 2 channel thoughts.

Old habits die hard. :smokin

I had not owned any CD's by Peter Gabriel before i bought this, and was only familiar with the song Sledgehammer {but recognized a lot more after listening to them that i didn't know by name}. I bought this thanks to the praise of others on this forum under the DVD Video section. And was amazed by how much i liked this DVD. The music was very good, and the surround mix is superb. I gave it a 9. (y)

radiodaddy said:
Why, then, were the Gabriel SACDs two-channel?

Probably because when the SACDs were produced, the multichannel mixes had not yet been done.

I have heard rumours from time to time of the entire Gabriel solo catalogue being re-released on SACD in multichannel.

That said, I'm not overly impressed with the liberties that have been taken with the multichannel mixes on the Play DVD.

The Sound and Mix is top notch the only downfall is the PQ of the video is somewhat hit and miss (May be the age of the material) and they mix full screen with anamorphic widescreen.

Savageone79 said:
The Sound and Mix is top notch the only downfall is the PQ of the video is somewhat hit and miss (May be the age of the material)

Well, yes, that would be the reason; variable source material.

and they mix full screen with anamorphic widescreen.

What else could be done? Much was shot fullframe, other stuff had to be letterboxed....

As for the package itself, a '9'...woulda been a 10, but a few mixes, like "Sledgehammer" and "Bit Time" are a bit too radical compared to the original stereo(they seem to be missing things), while "Solsbury Hill" is faux 5.1, apparently the multis could not be located. But overall, great mix, gutcrunching bass, and "Red Rain" really kills! Nicely done.

ED:)

Gave it a 10. The only whine I have is that "Big Time" sounds too different than the original, but the other mixes and the music make up for that. Sound quality itself is very good, no doubt partly to do with the use of the DTS96/24 format.

I really enjoyed this, money well spent. Great interesting mixes. I've been wanting to hear these songs in surround for years. Doesn't disappoint.

Just got this today. Stunning mixes on this from Daniel Lanois. The trouble is, it just makes me want the rest of the Gabriel solo catalogue as SACD/DVD-A 5.1 releases. I wonder if there's a possible box set/re-release like the recent Genesis ones in the works?

That would be too much to hope for, but we all live in hope, don't we? :)

This is one of my favorite music vids ever...period. It isn't just the 5.1(well, all but one cut is)and the decent video quality(suspect in places it could be better; and, as my wife pointed out and I'd forgotten, there are a few alternations from the original vid sources), but the fact that we get so much, and truly interactive menus. And though it's a compleat rather than complete collection, who can argue that few music discs give you more bang for your buck? I'd like to see an expanded edition of this with better video quality, and of course, the two versions of "Don't Give Up," a more proper 5.1 mix of "Big Time," etc. etc. But it's a real beauty--and thankfully, commonly available.

ED :)

Thought I'd resurrect this thread. I got the Genesis 70-75 box set, but this time in DVD-V (US) and listening in DTS 24/96, so it reminded me to dust off PLAY again. Wow, it is so good, so thorough; and the different mixes are very cool. I like just about all the surround mixes on this disc. The one thing that is quite weird though (and it happens on all my players: Oppos, Denon 3910, Samsung Blu-Ray, Panny Blu-Ray) is that the DTS 24/96 mix is like 25 db lower than the Dolby Digital one! I have to be VERY careful when playing this disc cuz I turn the surorund processor up significantly higher than any other disc..and by 20+ db!!! I'd do severe damage if the level was left there. Weird.

Hi Ted,
The one thing that is quite weird though (and it happens on all my players: Oppos, Denon 3910, Samsung Blu-Ray, Panny Blu-Ray) is that the DTS 24/96 mix is like 25 db lower than the Dolby Digital one! I have to be VERY careful when playing this disc cuz I turn the surorund processor up significantly higher than any other disc..and by 20+ db!!! I'd do severe damage if the level was left there. Weird.

This was a mastering problem of the disc. As far as I could discern from some threads in German forums, at the time this disc was produced they set soem flag wrong in the DTS encoding, which was not used yet by most DTS decoders at that time. For decoders recoignizing this flag this results in a 30dB reduction.

There were people who wrote to Warner Music about this problem and got their disc replaced without charge... I think I'll have to try if they still do that, because I have the faulty version as well...

Best regards,
Oliver

Thought I'd resurrect this thread. I got the Genesis 70-75 box set, but this time in DVD-V (US) and listening in DTS 24/96, so it reminded me to dust off PLAY again. Wow, it is so good, so thorough; and the different mixes are very cool. I like just about all the surround mixes on this disc. The one thing that is quite weird though (and it happens on all my players: Oppos, Denon 3910, Samsung Blu-Ray, Panny Blu-Ray) is that the DTS 24/96 mix is like 25 db lower than the Dolby Digital one! I have to be VERY careful when playing this disc cuz I turn the surorund processor up significantly higher than any other disc..and by 20+ db!!! I'd do severe damage if the level was left there. Weird.

Ted, what kind of receiver do you have, I have a Denon 3805 and not sure if other Denon's after this read the disk same way but that is the problem. I have added link of some more info. I found and was surprised no one else posted the same problem. If anyone finds out you can do a exchange on disc that would be good to know as i almost blew my speakers(and my ears) trying to listen to the dts and accidently switched it to DD on same disk and you can guess the rest.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8722

Since I bought this one as soon as it was available, no doubt I own the 'flawed' version, but with older equipment, didn't notice anything was amiss. In toggling between the DTS and DD sound, there is a slight volume shift, but it isn't of much significance.

ED :)

Back