Music DVD Poll Peter Gabriel - Greatest Hits

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-V of "Peter Gabriel - Greatest Hits"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 - Poor Mix, Poor Picture, Poor Content

• Total voters
Since I bought this one as soon as it was available, no doubt I own the 'flawed' version, but with older equipment, didn't notice anything was amiss. In toggling between the DTS and DD sound, there is a slight volume shift, but it isn't of much significance.

ED :)

Ed, if you had the the Denon receiver/dvd player combo(3805 receiver,3910 dvd player) like I have that reads the flag on the Dvd and does a 30 db lower shift, trust me you would definitely have noticed. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I did the switch back to Dolby Digital after cranking my reciever to listen to the Dts(and I still didn't even have it to a proper listening level for Dts). I ripped the Dts track's to see if it would work but the flag must be imbedded in there some where as still doesn't work properly(even on burned disk), very frustrating.

peter

Ed, if you had the the Denon receiver/dvd player combo(3805 receiver,3910 dvd player) like I have that reads the flag on the Dvd and does a 30 db lower shift, trust me you would definitely have noticed.

Oh, I can believe that....:D :yikes

I ripped the Dts track's to see if it would work but the flag must be imbedded in there some where as still doesn't work properly(even on burned disk), very frustrating.

I imagine it is...but ripping a copy only replicates the original, unfortunately. I'm not sure how you'd disable that flag, though....

ED :)

The 30db difference shows up on all the processors I've ever tried with it, including my current Onkyo Pro 885 (i.e Integra 9.8). it did the same on Bryston Sp2, Cary Cinema 11, etc. Did someone say there is a corrected version? Mine is old enough that I can't imagine arguing with a straight face that I deserve a new copy...I'll try...but I'll buy one if i have to. Anybody know how to differentiate the versions so i don't buy the same one again?

One thing I notice when extracting audio from this disc is the DTS is 5 channel, the AC3 is 6 (5.1)

Mine also has the DTS @ -30dB issue(in all of the players, Sony, Oppo, Samsung)
Unfortunately, since I bought this a year before I got my Quad setup and only had listened to it in Stereo, I do NOT have the receipt anymore , so the folks at Corte Inglés are not gonna be takin' it back...
Funny that someone who has always been that much into the cutting edge of technology released a flawed product..that's what happens when you don't check the release before giving the pressing plant the go ahead....

Although...they mention in an amazon review that it's an issue with the new(??) receivers...

Although...they mention in an amazon review that it's an issue with the new(??) receivers...

Yep, That was a true statement at the time. When I played the disc through my Denon 2900 DVD and my old Sony receiver (from 1999), it played the DTS track perfectly. When i bought a new Denon receiver (2007), the -30dB appeared.

Do anyone knows for sure that there are PLAY-discs out there whithout this bug?

//Uffe

This disc is why I hope that the upcoming 25th anniversary reissue of So has ALL of the tracks in 5.1 surround (including the three tracks on the album without videos) cause all of the 5.1 mixes on this disc are stellar! :)

Even weirder, it extracted 6 channels from the dts, even though it recognized it as being 5.

Jonathan,

I just saw the same thing. DTS 5.0 but when extracted it's the full 5.1. Strange.

Pretty damn nice mix of Sledgehammer to boot! :)

Ha! Apparently my old equipment was fine with the -30DB bug, but my new equipment is not!

Add Marantz to the list of amps that play the DTS track extremely quietly... not that it's a major problem, I just have to turn the receiver right up to 0DB, and remember to turn it down again before I press stop. Only a matter of time, surely!

A 10 for me. Just picked this up recently. Outstanding 5.1 in DTS. In Your Eyes, Don't Give Up... are excellent but every song(IMHO) is incredibly well done by Daniel Lanois (local Canadian boy). Picked it up for Christmas from Import CDs after trying to find it elsewhere. Came as a different region but my trustee Oppo could read it with a slight hack. I consider it the best DTS video for the money. If you don't own it. Buy it.

I bought the US disc with the DTS bug, then downloaded a torrent of the European DVD's VIDEO_TS folder. Works well. Feel free to contact me if you have the buggy disc.

This is an astonishingly good disc and, I suspect, a bit of a "hidden gem" just waiting to be discovered by many. It's marketed as "Play THE VIDEOS" in the UK and I beleive that there is also a double disc set with both it and Growing Up Live available. To help with identification the single disc version has a cover emblazoned with strips of rainbow coloured plasticine.

Included are videos for 23 of Gabriel's tracks spanning much of his solo career, including classics like "Father, Son" "Biko" "Blood of Eden" "I Don't Remember" "Red Rain" "In Your Eyes" "Mercy Street" "The Drop" and "Solsbury Hill" The videos are all presented with superb surround re-mixes by Daniel Lanois and Richard Chappell in the obligatory Dulby and DTS 96/24. It's a reasonable pacifier for Gabriel fans who are frustrated by his apparent reluctance to get his back catalogue out in surround.

The DTS tracks are high fidelity, discrete and make superb use of the surround channels; top notch! For some reason I actually prefer not to be distracted by the videos so I have ripped them to multi-channel hi-res flac and they sound just superb streaming on my CA 752.

An easy 10 and a must have for Gabriel fans.

Back