Music DVD Poll The Beatles - Yellow Submarine

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-V "The Beatles - Yellow Submarine"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 - Poor Mix, Poor Picture, Poor Content

• Total voters
Funnily enough this was one of the fist DVD's i owned and what got me more interested in surround music.

I have always loved the animation and the film has been cleaned up well. the sound remixed and for a DD surround mix it sounds very good.

looses a star for no DTS track so 8 for the overall packages

now where is magical mystery tour :banana:

Sweet.

I wonder if it looked this good during its first theatrical run?

Beatles in 5.1 is nice. Makes me wish for hi-res releases.

DTS would have been nice for this, but that's a quibble.

This movie has never looked so good.

They have restored the "Hey Bulldog" segment that was missing from the original US release.

This is the disk I grab when I want to show off the capabilities of surround sound. It's absolutely amazing.

It includes the original mono sound mix, but why would anyone want to listen to the mono mix when the 5.1 sounds so amazing?

I'll give it an 8, because of the lack of DTS, and the fact that the DVD isn't anamorphic widescreen.

Even the lack of DTS can't keep this out of the top slot for me (though DTS would have been great). The Beatles in multichannel sound...I can't resist!

I was lucky enough to catch the re-release of this in the theatres not long before the DVD came out...it was really cool to hear the sound effects in "Only a Northern Song" spring out at me from the surround speakers! A classic...

It has several faults.
The main one being that most of the songs are at the wrong speed.
and the channel balance /mix on some songs(e.g. sgt peppers are strange)
But once cured the songs are great.
and you can hear just the songs without the voices of the movie coming through via a nice menu option.
All you need is love is edited to bits to fit the movie sequence...but the ending is intact...hence you can join the ending to the anthology mix
(which has the ending ruined but the rest intact ..they are both the same mix) and then you get a complete song in 5.1.

In short, essential for editing and creating a nice beatles package..but frustrating on it's own if you want to hear just complete Beatles songs.
But as a movie it's great.

This is an awesome use of surround. The speed of the songs were changed by the original people who made it, so the off speed is correct for the movie. I agree with both the positive and negative comments, so I won't repeat them. The movie I believe is out of print. The deal with Apple was for 5 years, which expired. Sorry, I dont' have a link. There's lots out there, but could become scarce in the next few years if it's not reissued. I think Apple will push their Let It Be release first.

My first DVD...so I must give it a ten.
Thanks Dan I will go and get a few copies so I can give them to family and friends with young kids.

I drop a point for including DD instead of dts coding. Also for upmixing and time-stretching and what not) George Martins orchestrations. The mixes themselves are not terribly entertaining. Somehow the "Eleanor Rigby" vocal is not in synch! Some mixes ("Sgt. Pepper") are almost unmusical. But hey... I won't be bitter.

I like the fact for including the original mono-track, as well as some isolated music, a strange, if generous idea: I mean sometimes you have to wait 5 minutes for the next song :confused: . And tracks like "Love You Too" and "With A Little Help From My Friends" could have been complete...

The only complaint I have is that the isolated track didn't use complete songs, seems to me that wouldn't have been hard to do. A few tracks aren't at the right speed, probably for the same reason a few of AHDN aren't, either...but this certainly indicates the potential for 5.1 Beatles! In that regard it's a winner. And bonus points for the mono mix, even if some of it is in fact stereo!

ED :)

The best thing that I can say about this is that it's great family entertainment. My 3 & 8 year olds wer completely mesmerized by it. And my wife and I had fun with the witty humor. The video aspect of it is much improved. I don't think I've ever watched a movie before where I kept looking around the room to see where the "Blacklight" was radiating from:rolleyes: .

Another movie that we as a family have enjoyed in much the same way as a family is Harry Nilsson's "The Point".

By the way, my oldest sons are 23 & 24 and all four of them have grown up with these two sound tracks among their collection of cassette tapes that they listen to in the bath. So it was fun to see the kids sing along while watching the movie:) .

I watched it with my eight-year-old daughter while on vacation a couple of weeks ago. We both loved it so much; we watched it again the next night!

Since we were on vacation I listened to it on my 'surround on the cheap' system, which is pieced together with old speakers and an inexpensive Sony surround receiver. My speakers on this system are also in non-optimal spots, i.e., one is behind a couch. That being said, there are some mixes that just sound odd. Off the top of my head, I can't remember which, but I struggled with them.

I shouldn't complain though, after all-it's the Beatles in surround! I just love the mix of 'Hey Bulldog'.

HearToTemptYou said:
I'll give it an 8, because of the lack of DTS, and the fact that the DVD isn't anamorphic widescreen.

I think this is a great DVD as well, but I too am annoyed that it is NOT an anamorphic release.

BTW - I also have the Dolby Digital Laser Disc version of this DVD (with the blue cover and "Hey Bulldog", not the original MGM with the white cover that I also have), and to me, the Dolby Digital AC-3 track sounds a bit better than the DVD. It could just be me, however. Anyone else have the LD of this re-release?

Gotta give this one a "9".

I don't have that LD, jon, but it doesn't surprise me that the AC-3 might be better than the compressed DVD sound. That is the main problem with DVD's in general: they sound pretty good unless you have a reference point(re: the Heads STOP MAKING SENSE). That's when you realize something is compromised sometimes when audio is transferred to the format.

ED :)

Resurrection! I thought I would revisit this thread after 4 years or so..... actually I just picked up a used copy as this has been OOP for a while I believe. My question is was this only issued as a PAL format DVD? I gave it a try last evening and about half way through encountered the dreaded freeze & release syndrome of a DVD not wanting to play properly. I believe my Denon has played other PAL videos,but they are never a sure thing it seems so I'd like to get a NTSC version of this if possible. Oh Yes, colors were great on the animation, hadn't seen any of this in couple of decades, at least. John S.

Resurrection! I thought I would revisit this thread after 4 years or so..... actually I just picked up a used copy as this has been OOP for a while I believe. My question is was this only issued as a PAL format DVD? I gave it a try last evening and about half way through encountered the dreaded freeze & release syndrome of a DVD not wanting to play properly. I believe my Denon has played other PAL videos,but they are never a sure thing it seems so I'd like to get a NTSC version of this if possible. Oh Yes, colors were great on the animation, hadn't seen any of this in couple of decades, at least. John S.
US copies were NTSC, but not anamorphic.

Hi,
found the offer below on amazon.de. are there any informations out yet what to expect?

Beatles - Yellow Submarine [Limited Edition]
Beatles (Darsteller) | Alterseinstufung: Freigegeben ab 6 Jahren | Format: DVD
Darsteller: Beatles
Format: Limited Edition, Widescreen
Sprache: Deutsch (DTS 5.1), Englisch (DTS 5.1), Italienisch (DTS 5.1)
Untertitel: Deutsch, Englisch, Französisch, Spanisch, Italienisch, Portugiesisch, Niederländisch, Schwedisch, Norwegisch, Dänisch, Polnisch, Finnisch, Japanisch
Bildseitenformat: 16:9 - 1.66:1
Anzahl Disks: 1
FSK: Freigegeben ab 6 Jahren
Studio: EMI Music Germany GmbH & Co.KG
Erscheinungstermin: 1. Juni 2012
Produktionsjahr: 1968
Spieldauer: 85 Minuten

Beatles - Yellow Submarine [Blu-ray] [Limited Edition]
Beatles (Darsteller) | Alterseinstufung: Freigegeben ab 6 Jahren | Format: Blu-ray Darsteller: Beatles
Sprache: Deutsch (DTS 5.1), Englisch (DTS 5.1), Italienisch (DTS 5.1)
Untertitel: Deutsch, Englisch, Französisch, Spanisch, Italienisch, Portugiesisch, Niederländisch, Schwedisch, Norwegisch, Dänisch, Polnisch, Finnisch, Japanisch
Bildseitenformat: 16:9 - 1.66:1
Anzahl Disks: 1
FSK: Freigegeben ab 6 Jahren
Erscheinungstermin: 1. Juni 2012

all we know of the BD is it's DTS MA. of course HD also. shipping 6/5 in the US, EU gets it sooner I think.
we need to translate most of your info. is in German language

all we know of the BD is it's DTS MA. of course HD also. shipping 6/5 in the US, EU gets it sooner I think.

There is no indication that the BD will contain DTS HD MA - only DTS 5.1 has been mentioned - in all the official press releases - unless of course you are privy to some other information.

sorry, I was thinking the most is self-explanatory. here's my attempt of translation:

Beatles - Yellow Submarine [Blu-ray] [Limited Edition]
Beatles (actors) | pg rating | Format: Blu-ray Actors: Beatles
Language: German(DTS 5.1), English(DTS 5.1), Italian(DTS 5.1)
Subtitles: German, English, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Polish, Finnish, Japanese
aspect ratio: 16:9 - 1.66:1
number of discs: 1
FSK: Freigegeben ab 6 Jahren (pg rating: I'm not sure, if this is exactly the same)
release date: 1. Juni 2012

Back