Music DVD Poll The Beatles - Anthology (5 Discs, DTS/DD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-V of "The Beatles - Anthology (5 Discs)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 - Poor Mix, Poor Picture, Poor Content

• Total voters
The only "con" about this set is some songs have voice-over or are incomplete...but we knew that from the VHS version. It would have been very cool to have a "music only" track, like YS but I guess it would not have fitted with the other 3 audio tracks

I'm a bit curious about one thing, and perhaps those that own this could answer my question.

I still have my tape of the original airing of the (greatly cut down) Beatles Anthology off of ABC, and one thing that was aired, but never made it on to the 8 tape VHS set was the video of "Real Love."

Is that video included on the DVD?

Just curious.

HearToTemptYou said:
I'm a bit curious about one thing, and perhaps those that own this could answer my question.

I still have my tape of the original airing of the (greatly cut down) Beatles Anthology off of ABC, and one thing that was aired, but never made it on to the 8 tape VHS set was the video of "Real Love."

Is that video included on the DVD?

Just curious.

Yes it is. In SWEET 5.1 as well!!! :banana:

Ick said:
Yes it is. In SWEET 5.1 as well!!! :banana:

Having recently bought my true love the Beatles Complete cd set and been listeing a lot , I cann only imagine how great they woukd sound in Dvd-A :cool:

M

I just skip thru the set today....Something in DTS is worth the price of the set :banana:

The courage to remix the Beatles in 5.1 alone deserves a ten. When Iheard the "In My Life" backing vocals all around me, I knew I was in for a good time. The Mixes are very nice for such a conservative bunch of nay-sayers such as EMI staff!
Things are nicely separated between front/rear. But also the upmixes are fine, as well as the idea of music in the surrounds while people talk in the fronts.
Let's hope that's just the first step into Beatles 5.1 Material.

These 5.1 mixes are tremendous. Just for fun, I have done things like play the piano to Pauls solo vocal on "Fool on the Hill"! That's how discrete this stuff is.

There were rampant rumors on the web about entire tunes/albums being completed and ready for release on 5.1 DVD-A at the same time of this DVD-V, but they never materialized. I'm not sure if these were a casualty of SACD vs DVD-A format infighting, or just Apple taking their time, waiting for us all to die off before they release anything.

They could release them on Q8 as far as I'm concerned. Format is not important. Just gettem' out! :D

Agreed with all of the above. Great music, great mixes but enormous frustration that we haven't been treated to full versions of the songs in any kind of surround or hi-rez format.

Obviously, the later mixes are a lot more fun than the earlier material...and while, like YELLOW SUB, not every song is complete, what we do get is often breathtaking and, yes, very discrete and great fun....for that reason, overall I give the package an '8'...but pity there's no 5.1 albums on the horizon...

ED :)

10. How can it get better than this? Material added to the VHS/LD versions. Many tracks, most partial in 5.1. All 4 Beatles, and others commenting on every move. This is my 23 yo Daughter's fave group. She has all their stuff, including this DVD-V set. It was tempting to rate it Number 9. This one goes to 11.

I'm about to copy the 5.1 mixes off there today. I had a great experience with YS (Only A Northern Song may be my favorite surround mix ever). From what I'm reading here, it looks like I'll be able to collect a few more gems. Anybody got a quick list of the real goodies?

The set gets a 10 from me. Even though there's plenty I would add or change- there's too much that I wouldn't have had otherwise. The footage of their arrival in the USA is completely amazing.

I'm about to copy the 5.1 mixes off there today. I had a great experience with YS (Only A Northern Song may be my favorite surround mix ever). From what I'm reading here, it looks like I'll be able to collect a few more gems. Anybody got a quick list of the real goodies?

The set gets a 10 from me. Even though there's plenty I would add or change- there's too much that I wouldn't have had otherwise. The footage of their arrival in the USA is completely amazing.

Go down to post #9 (how appropriate) at:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...eatles-songs-in-5-1-anthology-help-etc.12950/
The Anthology stuff is in the second list after the Yellow Submarine DVD songs.

The list is from 2010, so none of the new releases are included.

Thank you, my friend. I found many of those already but, haven't completely scanned over Anthology 1 thru 4. I'm looking forward to some of those I see in that list. It's an exciting treasure hunt really. I've actually bettered (to my ears) some of the songs so far:

And Your Bird Can Sing- upmixed with laughter removal. Not eliminating the back speakers but, eliminating laughter only with reconfigured panning and EQ tricks. Sounds great and I like it much better.

The Long And Winding Road- I thought the rear speakers were weak so I added in Spector's orchestration in the back. I OOP'ed and edited the Let It Be 2009 mastering in to taste. It isn't all over the song and in some sections I take it out completely then bring it back in- being much more subtle with it. Spector used a completely different take so there was much chopping to line it up. Preston's solo was also kinda weak in the mix so I EQ'd that section and placed him in the back phantom center. This is now a totally unique version of the song. It's beautiful and is now my favorite version ever. It is a glimpse also of what it may have been like if McCartney's "memo for mix changes" was received in time to accomodate. Save for the harp at the end, I think he'd really like this.

Free As A Bird- I kinda thought what was in the back speakers was somewhat of a bullshit cop-out (reverbs of things that were already there) and I never really thought it sounded Beatle-y enough. It's really a psychedelic track if you subdue a few "Lynne-isms". I OOP'd the front two L+R channels and sent the results to the rear left. I then OOP'd the rear L+R channels and sent them to the rear right. The original rears were deleted and replaced with these elements. I then lowered the level of the front L+R channels overall slightly- reducing some of the 90's bombast. I brought down Harrison's overly loud guitar solo in the middle of the song (center speaker). The result is a mix that can sit way more comfortably next to older Beatles songs and, in my opinion, the best mix of FAAB in existence.

I repaired other tracks that had missing sections (Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane, All You need Is Love, Day In The Life, Something, I Am The Walrus).

My Beatles surround collection is building nicely. More Anthology extraction and fixes to come still. I need to get the latest HELP! for those mixes and I am really looking forward to the new MMT.

Hi MarkytheM.
Any chance of getting a listen to that work you've done completing those songs? Always get frustrated when listening to them thinking of how lovely it would have been to have them complete! Especially SFF, ADITL and IAMTW.

Remarkably I hadn't voted in this poll. It's a 10. I wish all of the Beatles surround sound was done like the Anthology DVDs DTS track. True 5.1-channel audio. Many of the songs included are full length versions or with talk-over during the fade-out. Long Tall Sally is a favorite surround mix of the early songs. The Anthology DVD version may be the best version of I Am The Walrus - beating-out even the Love version.

Each of the discs "sides" (there are two per disc) has a 5.1-channel audio mix of a Beatles song during the credits. Some are the regular version of the song and some are alternate versions.

The Anthology DVDs, Yellow Submarine Blu-Ray and Love DVD-Audio discs are the "required" surround sound mixes for those who were disappointed in the Beatles 1+ Blu-Ray mix. This is really really good surround music!!

Andy

The reason I went looking for this thread was not to vote, but to let everyone know that a new version of the Anthology has recently appeared.

The original TV version was the seriously edited version of The Beatles Anthology. The LaserDisc set was a more detailed version. The DVD set mimic'ed the LaserDisc but added true 5.1-channel audio. Then the Anthology book was the unabridged version but (obviously) without any music. A very very long book which, like the TV, LaserDiscs and DVDs, contained no narration but instead only the words of the Beatles and their associates.

Now, very surprisingly, Apple has apparently released an audio version that is close to the Anthology book in length. It's limited to mp3-quality stereo audio but it is much more extensive than any recorded media released previously. There are 18 (!) episodes running between 1 hour and 18 minutes to 2 hours each. A rough calculation is the total length of all 18 episodes is more than 27 hours.

I ran though some of the India / White Album episode and there is significantly more of the Esher Demos than what was included in the original Anthology DVDs, including John Lennon's original words for Sexy Sadie (warning for those who care - no censoring of the potentially objectionable words has been used in this Anthology Revisited set). As you would expect, the Esher Demo audio in Anthology Revisited is significantly cleaner than what is available on the various versions of the Esher Demos that exist on Amazon and eBay.

You can find the full 18 episode set at:
http://anthologyrevisited.podbean.com/

Supposedly the set is also available as podcasts at iTunes but I can't find it under "The Beatles Anthology Revisited" or any other search I tried.

Thanks to Wogblog for the locations of the The Beatles Anthology Revisited set.

So, that leaves the question of why did this extended edition suddenly appear at the end of 2015? In the past this has been done by Apple Corps to gauge interest in a possible future release. For instance, Beatles music videos started appearing unannounced on YouTube for about a year before the Beatles 1+ set was announced. So, this could be a prelude to an extended Anthology set being released on Blu-Ray (if so, please please me and let it be the original 5.1-channel mixes).

Or, the other possibility is they looked at transferring the Anthology work to Blu-Ray and realized it didn't transfer from standard definition to high definition well and so they decided to release the extended audio instead since they wouldn't have a product. Of course, they could then deny that they ever had a Blu-Ray in the works. Apple Corp works in mysterious ways sometimes.

A third possibility is that this takes care of a lot of E.U. copyright concerns for unreleased versions of songs since they are included in the "bed audio" in the 27+ hours. The Anthology Revisited set is copyrighted and therefore those bed songs are now included in that copyright.

In the meantime, enjoy all of the new Beatles audio. BTW, for those who would like to download the mp3's, there is a download button below the play button for each of the episodes.

Happy New Years!

Andy

Back