Music DVD Poll INXS - I'm Only Looking: The Best Of (2 Discs)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-V "INXS - I'm Only Looking: The Best Of "

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 - Poor Mix, Poor Picture, Poor Content

• Total voters
I just bought a copy of this and found the same issue, though when I had borrowed a copy from a friend his was truly 5.1, with all 6 isolated tracks. The one I got yesterday is from Rhino. I will check Steve, my friend's, copy later and post.

Hey Bender, when you check your friend's disc, can you make photos of the discs and cover? I wonder if there are indeed two different versions of this out there, with different mixes (or perhaps faulty tracks) on them.

Hey Bender, when you check your friend's disc, can you make photos of the discs and cover? I wonder if there are indeed two different versions of this out there, with different mixes (or perhaps faulty tracks) on them.

Sadly, it appears there is no real 5.1 edition...

Here is what I found out after much time on this issue....

Issue ... My DVD copy of this is 4.0, not 5.1 as advertised. My DVD-A copy I made for the car has all 6 channels. So, how did this happen???

My initial thoughts were I had possibly ripped the tracks from a friend's copy of the DVD and theirs was truly 6 channel. (in my early days of this I needed to use a PC as I had not discovered a way to do this on a Mac-- so maybe that is whappened.
Answer - No, all three copies are 4.0, mine and the only two sources I could have gotten the tracks..

However, I remember when I made my car copy, I had initially forgot to cut the extra "artistic direction" that is on Listen Like Theives, Mystify, Suicide Blonde, and Need You Tonight. So I had redone it somehow.

When I make a 4.0 DVD-A from the DTS DVD and then extract the audio using DVD audio extractor, it somehow creates the other two channels. Definitely not discreet, but still sounds way better than the straight 4.0 mix, that is labelled as 5.1 surround.

This makes no sense to me whatsoever, but I have thrice tested now, and this is indeed what is going on.

It's still a great DVD collection. Strongly recommend, but I am not sure what the issuer means by remixed in 5.1, if all we get is 4.0.

If anyone can add to this I would love to know what's happened with this one.

I just found a copy of this for $5 at a store that was going out of business. It is indeed one of those rare video compilations with a real 5.1 mix. The results are a bit of a mixed bag. There are some songs ("The One Thing", "Don't Change") that have almost nothing going on in the rear speakers. Many other songs though have a good bit going on in the surround channels. Not exactly up to Scheiner/Wilson standards but it has some nice moments. "Suicide Blond" has a particularly good mix. Don't expect anything amazing in terms of video quality, these clips are 20 - 30 years old after all. The videos are still a fun bit of nostalgia though. I'm only a casual fan of the band but I'm glad I grabbed this. I'll rate it a strong 8.

I found this article that has an extensive interview with guys who did the 5.1 mix:

www.audiotechnology.com.au/PDF/33/Mixing_INXS_in_5.1.pdf

Just realized I never voted for this myself. I love this collection. Even though I agree that the mixes are sometimes more, sometimes less discrete, they came up with a very consistent sound quality, at least among the studio songs. There's no need to fiddle with the volume or sound controls all of a sudden between songs. Everything is very present and, most of all, punchy. That alone makes it a very enjoyable disc, and makes me easily overlook the inconsistencies in mixing.

Obviously, the interview snippets between the videos are quite annoying. I solved this problem by ripping both DVDs to MKV (one file per track), then using MKVMerge to edit and merge the audio. Now, I have .mka files of every song, with no more talking, sound effects or that blip between Need You Tonight and Mediate interrupting the experience.

As far as content goes, this is a WINNER. I'd need to check again, but in terms of music alone (after you edit out the talky/documentary/sound effectey parts), there's well over 2 hours here - including remixes, alternate takes, live cuts, and it's all in DTS 5.1.

So, yeah: great disc. :)

I watched this last night in preparation for the INXS Kick release. The videos are certainly fun to watch despite the standard def quality. The sounds quality is quite good, and the mixes are decent. Not too many discrete elements (mostly sound effects), but the mix is still far better than most DVDs like this.

The 2nd DVD is also fun to watch. I never got a chance to see INXS live, so the live footage is really interesting to me. They were really a great live band.

Overall, this is a great DVD set. Disc 1 has 25 videos in 5.1 (well, 4.0 I think, but that isn't a bad thing), and the 2nd DVD contains some excellent live footage, remixes, etc. That is a ton of content. If you don't already have it, I suggest you find a copy.

A bit of media coverage on Aus radio with local Melbourne DJ talking up this release and its Giles Martin Dolby Atmos Mix. (Triple M). This is a 1st that i'm aware of, and great publicity to promote "our cause".
Rock on in multi-channel I Say. Can"t wait.

I voted 10. I love this and have had it for awhile. I love INXS and this is 5.1, sometimes I listen with videos on and some times I turn picture off and just listen to 5.1 music. As of this writing it is all the 5.1 INXS we can get and it is done quite well. For the casual INXS fan a 9, but for me a 10, either way it is a recommended purchase.

I voted 10. I love this and have had it for awhile. I love INXS and this is 5.1, sometimes I listen with videos on and some times I turn picture off and just listen to 5.1 music. As of this writing it is all the 5.1 INXS we can get and it is done quite well. For the casual INXS fan a 9, but for me a 10, either way it is a recommended purchase.

What about this - https://www.amazon.com/Kick-30th-Deluxe-3CD-1Bluray/dp/B0767R8M69/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509340298&sr=8-1&keywords=kick+inxs

According to MKV rip the DTS Tracks are 5.0 whereas the DD is 5.1 and certainly there is no centre channel on the DTS rip, any ideas why this would be?

According to MKV rip the DTS Tracks are 5.0 whereas the DD is 5.1 and certainly there is no centre channel on the DTS rip, any ideas why this would be?

Im pretty sure that both DD and DTS tracks are identical (mix wise) and both have no centre channel data and DD has silent LFE track.

Some players/receivers get really upset with only 4 channels in the digital stream, so silent channels are often added for compatibility.

Back