Music DVD Poll The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-V "The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 2 - Poor Mix, Poor Content, Poor Packaging/Graphics

• 1 - Complete waste of plastic

• Total voters
One of my favorite Concert videos. Great sound & great music. A 10. :)

This is one of those disc's that you can pop in and just about everyone gathers around to watch and listen. The feelings of these fellows are quite evident as the cameras scan from one to the other. They are truly glad to be back together and playing music.
The audio is very impressive given that this reunion was recorded many years ago. The video is better than average.
This is a must have for any Eagles fan.
My Favorites, Walsh and Felder doing what they do best! :smokin

I wonder if there is any truth in the story that the Audio has been overdubbed so heavily there is barely a note of the actual gig remaining.
Personally I have no idea - wasn't there & don't have this set yet. Soon.

Gave it an 8. Likely would have given it a 10 prior to the Melbourne Concert being released. Can't help but to compare and if the Melbourne is a 10 then this is an 8. They truly seem to be having fun and enjoying each other on their latest DVD. Not so much on Hell Freezes Over.

Excellent sonics, good show...not exactly compelling much of the time, but one certainly can't complain about the 5.1! A '9'....

ED :)

I just picked this up and played it for the first time. I am not a big Eagles fan, I always thought they were only average but so many in my age group have such fond memories, I decided I needed to own this DVD. I think the DTS 5.1 is first rate and the old guys are in fine form in this concert but I couldn't really watch anything other than the concert and even it is dull to watch. Video quality is acceptable for a 4:3 DVD. The sound quality is so good I am going to try to find more DTS concert DVDs, 16:9 with better video quality. Listening to the music makes me concede they are better than average and the songs work really well accoustically. A solid 8.

Chris

my favourite is the bonus only dts audio track " 7 bridges road. "..if only the video tracks were in widescreen..then again it was videotaped a long time ago...over 10 years ago??

the tracks on the dts dvd differ in various spots from the dts cd release...the most obvious being the (at the time) 4 new songs that are played live on the dvd and are recorded in the studio on the dts cd...then again as Neil stated earlier...the live mix was played with alot after the concert...so there's not much difference other than the presence of an audience....

For years this was the ultimate dvd surround demo for many...a classic..
must have....

Hallo Michael,

MC Weissbier said:
Concert: approx. 100 min
Sound (10+): DTS, DD 5.1 and DD 2.0

Are you sure about that? Which version do you have?
I have the German PAL release (Icestorm/Image Entertainment), and it doesn not have any DD! It has PCM Stereo and DTS 5.1, but no DD2.0 and no DD5.1.

I always thought this disc sounded pretty amazing, even the PCM Stereo track I used to liten to before I had DTS capability. In light of the later releases and the not so good video quality I only give it a 9.

Warning! At least in Germany, there is a cheap re-release available. This is called "Eagles Live" by a company named "FNM - Falcon Neue Medien". The cover looks completely different (a black background with a picture of a flying eagle at the top and below that in very large letters "EAGLES LIVE"; on the back it says "USA (Aspen) 1994" with the track list below. There is nowhere mentioned that this is in fact the same "Hell Freezes Over" Concert, so they obviously try to get Eagles fans to buy this as well, even though they already own it (and it worked too :mad: ). The worst thing about it: it only has DD2.0!!! :eek:

Stay far away from this cheap rip-off!

Best regards and many greetings from the Vorderpfalz :D ,
Oliver

I forgot to mention that the PAL dvd is running fast about 6 %.
You probably won't notice it unless you compare it directly with the dts cd, but if you compare the non video track "7 bridges road" you'll find it's still running fast on the dvd even though there is no real video content and the tracks are from the same master.....the difference is enough on comparison to be annoying...

El Guapo said:
Warning! At least in Germany, there is a cheap re-release available. ..by a company named "FNM - Falcon Neue Medien".
My idea: stay away from all releases from FNM, they're almost all crap.

ChristopherLees said:
the PAL dvd is running fast about 6 %.
With movies the PAL speedup is 4%, too bad this (and other) music video's weren't shot in a format that converts to NTSC and PAL with no speed change:(

Yes normally the speed up is going from movies at 24 frames to the Pal system of 50 i (which sort of works out to 25p I guess)...usually NTSC to PAL conversions are fine without any speed change, as 60 i to 50 i doesn't give you the same problems as a film to PAL transfer.
The one film exception where the PAL conversion is perfect and the NTSC master is wrong is the Beatles A hard days night, because in order to not get picture roll when filming the tv monitors in the final concert scene, they rolled the cameras at 25 frames instead of 24...It was great in the old days when the local tv station would show you their film to PAL version..unfortunately alll dvd versions now are taken from the NTSC master....so everything is running slow!!
My personal rock demo favourite now is "Boz Scaggs greatest hits live".....like the Eagles hell freezes over the sound is great and it has a 16 x 9 picture that is fantastic...whilst i also really like the Eagles live in melbourne...I've just heard to much of them in comparison to Boz Scaggs.....you can only play your favourite disc so many times before boredom...(well for me anyway)

Finally got this. For the longest time, I had a DVD-R copy of it that I found in a friend's basement. It was compressed and, sadly, whoever made the copy had not included the 5.1 surround mix of Seven Bridges Road. So, when I saw it for sale on Discogs for $8...I went for it. Got my money's worth just from that bonus track. That song sounds crazy good in surround!

The concert itself, as stated by many posters thus far, is a bit dull to watch - but the mix is pretty brilliant. I prefer to put it on, turn off the TV, and just listen to the whole thing while I'm just goofing off around the house. I gave it a 10 though, simply because the mix cannot be faulted in any way. I don't consider the video to be all that important in the grand scheme of things.

Got this today.
Never a huge Eagles fan back in their glory years.
But that was my mistake as this band have grown on me over the years.
This is my first live Eagles show and I'm enjoying it.
The mix is very good as well for a live release.
I need to look at getting their farewell tour in Blu ray.

I will vote a 9

Back